restoring a 2000

britlord

Country
usa
Region
Michigan
Guy's here's my new project. restoring a 2000 that I bought, as you can see I have fitted a large LCD display for my Gotek drive. But it was not easy. The only easy part was making the hole in the front to fit the LCD (I use my hot soldering iron). The hard part was removing the small LCD driver board. You see it had to be moved because the LCD is held in place by four plastic standoffs with nuts (Standoffs glued to the back of the case front) , and you need excess to one of the nuts (For easy remove).. The driver board was in the way.. But after sucking the holes of solder. I damaged the board (Some of the cores got pulled out), so I bought another LCD and rocked the driver board back and forth till the header pins broke.. Phew, Now I was able to remove all the pins.. I have now soldered a female header in place, so the driver board can be easy removed from the LCD display if needed...

I have also made a hole for a On/Off switch at the front, and it works great turning the computer off and on from the front, as for wring up the LCD to the Gotek. I have made the harness.. But I have to solder (2) 4.7k Pull up resisters, so I'll solder them under the driver board (At the four pin header), so it will be neat and tidy.. Plus that 2 pin header with a jumper on it.. Well I had to solder that to the the other side of the driver board because it might touch the metal part of the case, and I was able to get a eBay seller to make me a special 3D printed 2000 Gotek mounting plate without the OLED hole (He sells them with the
OLED hole) .. Because I won't be fitting one, as they are too small, so You see it's coming along nicely. My 2000 (Recapped) will have a GVP accelerator with 13MB ram (running at 38MHz), SCSICD v6, 8MB ram board (I'm just waiting for the rest of the ram chips to arrive), and a Gotek with HcX firmware (You have to pay a one time price of just 10 euros for the boot-loader).. After that all updates are free, and it supports the LCD, and a sound board too (I have to build it though).. Have I missed anything else.. Oh yeah... I have a fixer fixer that has the Amber chip... I AM bringing my 2000 into the 21st century (It'll out last me)....

Attachments

• DSC00282.jpg
    DSC00282.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00280.jpg
    DSC00280.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00281.jpg
    DSC00281.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00283.jpg
    DSC00283.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00284.jpg
    DSC00284.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 3
  • HxCGotek_I2C_2x16_LCD_SCREEN.jpg
    HxCGotek_I2C_2x16_LCD_SCREEN.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Brilliant stuff :)

This has given me some ideas! How are you mounting the front power button?

EDIT: Just noticed the slot you have cut for the power switch.

Last edited:
Yep.. I've cut out the slot for the power switch, as for the power cable that goes to the switch.. I've left some slack in it so I'll be able to get the case off if needed.. The A/C power switch is one of these.. They come with the light or none (They care cheap on eBay)... I'll just pull the power cable through the slot and connect it to the switch, and push the switch into the slot (Switch has clips each side to snap it in place)... The switch even has a power light inside too (Just connect the ground wire for it to work)...

Oh.. Here's my solution for those (2) Pull-Up resisters (Needed for the LCD driver board)... One had to go under the LCD driver board and the other one in the harness plug.. Because soldering them in the same area. They would cross over and 2 of the legs would touch. Also, there's no room for them soldered at the same spot. Either under the board or at the harness plug (I used 1/8th size resisters).... But I did make one mistake.... I had the red and black wires reversed.. DOHH

Thanks...

Attachments

• DSC00286.jpg
    DSC00286.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00287.jpg
    DSC00287.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Guys... I have now ordered Matzes a1k.org Graphics Adapter for my Amiga (Was pretty expensive).. However, I have a Budda card and a SCSICD v6. Which one would you use...

Last edited:
Good work Mike...bit jealous of your good effort with the panelwork. Im sure I'm going to bodge my A500 when I try put a USB hole through the case.

Keep us updated along your journey

Good work Mike...bit jealous of your good effort with the panelwork. Im sure I'm going to bodge my A500 when I try put a USB hole through the case.

Hi Ash I sure will, and I have another project ready to go. A Raspberry Pi inside a Amiga case with USB, HDMI, and the USB conversion kit for Amiga 500 keyboard.... It'll look like the one in the picture. But since I'm going to use a Pi power block (For Off/On switch), and a RTC clock too.. I'll have to move the Pi further back, so the Pi won't get in the way of the keyboard... I have most of the parts including the latest Pi... Here's comes my Amiga 500 68060 Computer LOL..

Attachments

• Amiga 500 USB keyboard and dual joystick with audio and Pi3 installed.jpg
    Amiga 500 USB keyboard and dual joystick with audio and Pi3 installed.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Amiga 500 USB keyboard and dual joystick with audio.jpg
    Amiga 500 USB keyboard and dual joystick with audio.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Pi conversion.jpg
    Pi conversion.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Hi Ash I sure will, and I have another project ready to go. A Raspberry Pi inside a Amiga case with USB, HDMI, and the USB conversion kit for Amiga 500 keyboard.... It'll look like the one in the picture. But since I'm going to use a Pi power block (For Off/On switch), and a RTC clock too.. I'll have to move the Pi further back, so the Pi won't get in the way of the keyboard... I have most of the parts including the latest Pi... Here's comes my Amiga 500 68060 Computer LOL...

Oh, Thanks to mattsoft.. Because HE thought up this idea....

That is pretty awesome :) Where did you obtain the mounting kit?

On eBay. The 3D printed mounting kit is pretty cheap and has all the slots cut out (At the back) for the USB. HDMI, Power ect. You just need a old empty Amiga 500 case... Oh, to screw in the parts to the mounting kit.. You need order the screws and brass inserts from Amazon.com (They are 2.5mm)..... I have even bought a White external USB CD/DVD drive for this emulated Amiga... But I must say... The most expensive part for this project was not the Pi, but the Tynemouth Sofware Amiga 500 USB Adapter (If you want the audio on the board too)...But you do get the 2 needed cables that come with the board.. Though you'll have to buy the other cables. (They don't cost much at all)...

Can't afford a real 4000 then this is the cheapest way to go.. A emulated Amiga AGA in a real Amiga case with a working keyboard, and with the latest Pi running at 1.4GHz..

This all thanks to mattsoft (He's the man), as he's the designer of the 3D printed mounting kit...

Last edited:
I update for my 2000. I was able to get a eBay seller to make me a 3D printed mounting bracket for my Gotek drive.. I told him that I don't want the hole for the LCD.. Because I've installed a larger one in the front fascia, as you can see the Gotek is fitted temporary with the audio cable plugged into the sound board. Because I'm waiting for some standoffs, so I can fit the second floppy drive to the mounting plate, and I'm waiting for a GVP 030 board to arrive too.. But is coming along nicely.. Also, I've made the LCD driver board removable (The other end just plug's into the Gotek header pins), so no soldering the cable to the Gotek or the driver board (it'll be easy to remove if the LCD or driver board dies).. But this project is coming along nicely (Back on it)...

Attachments

• DSC00372.jpg
    DSC00372.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
yeah!!! I bought this beauty.. A GVP 040 33MHz accelerator (Comes with 32MB ram) for the 2000 that I'm restoring.. However, I'm not sure if I should use a Buddha 20-year anniversary edition IDE card , or just use the SCSI on the 040. What would you use please....

Oh, 40MHz here I come (I seen one running at 40MHz), so a 20MHz crystal oscillator, and a MC68040RC40 is on order...

Attachments

• GVP 040 Combo.jpg
    GVP 040 Combo.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 3
  • GVP 040 Combo-1.jpg
    GVP 040 Combo-1.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hello,

i have an A3000, with SCSI on board. I have done an IDE card to use CF and modern DVD. Anyway, SCSI is much more complex of IDE and the result is that SCSI is ever a bit faster and better configurable compared to IDE of the same age! So, if you have good SCSI devices at home, you will spare to have an IDE board on your Amiga; if you wish to use Compact Flash or similar devices, look what IDE board is for you.

Sorry for this poor and ingenuous reply! SCSI and IDE are US standard...they come from your country...i feel strange to tell to an american about american things!!!

Cheers
Stefano

Hello,

i have an A3000, with SCSI on board. I have done an IDE card to use CF and modern DVD. Anyway, SCSI is much more complex of IDE and the result is that SCSI is ever a bit faster and better configurable compared to IDE of the same age! So, if you have good SCSI devices at home, you will spare to have an IDE board on your Amiga; if you wish to use Compact Flash or similar devices, look what IDE board is for you.

Sorry for this poor and ingenuous reply! SCSI and IDE are US standard...they come from your country...i feel strange to tell to an american about american things!!!

Cheers
Stefano

Ok.. Though I have no room for a SCSI.. Because I have a Gotek and a floppy drive. so not having the GVP SCSI mounting bracket can't fit one..

...SCSI is ever a bit faster ...

This is obviouse! I mean, not the controller that is, in general faster compared to IDE of the same age (faster or less 'cpu-intensive, depending by point of view); i mean the access of the SCSI device itself, by the driver (software, that, by the way, on SCSI is named 'initiator' or i do not remember anymore): on SCSI is faster because the technique called Direct Command! ...And by the way, this happens on IDE with ATAPI devices that use the same technique...sadly, no ATAPI hard disk or made or?

Regards
Stefano

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom