Not open for further replies.

Eep386

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
United States
Region
Woodland, California
As the title says, I'm looking for a reasonably healthy working Maxtor 7040/7060/7080/7120AT or AI, located in the US preferably, with this power-on seek test sound:

I'm not expecting a totally perfect and/or new drive or anything, but I'd prefer one that works without any major issues (one or two bad sectors won't worry me much so long as they're not growing) and where the bearings aren't completely shot.

Thanks for looking!

This afternoon I got my hands on a lot of hardware, including two Maxtor 7080AT drives. If you're still looking, I'll test both for bad sectors and listen for that sound. I wouldn't be asking much for the drive(s), but shipping to the US could be steep, probably EUR 24 (USD 27).

That is a bit steep, but it might be OK if both drives were shipped for that amount. eBay isn't really any cheaper for one drive anyway.

Yes please test them out! If they whistle and are in reasonably good shape (motor not too loud, few to no bad sectors, everything reads/writes fine) then I might be interested.

Right, tested the drives. They both work and have zero bad sectors. Then the sound... the actual spinning up, sound during normal operation and spinning down is exactly the same as in your video. What is different though is the initialization of the heads (secs 9-11 in the video). These 7080ATs don't do the 'bleeping' thing but tap out the same rhythm in soft clicks instead. So if you're looking for those bleeps, I'm afraid these will be no good for you - and as they both sound identical and test out perfectly, I suspect it's generic to the 7080AT, which narrows down your search even more.

If the bleeps are optional though, these drives could do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom