Amiga 600 no caps light

zygott

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Merseyside
hi,

i have an a600 but the caps light does not work.

i have checked the keyboard on another machine and it works fine.

caps works on the machine, just no light.

anyone have any idea what could cause this?

it has been recapped and everything else seems to be working fine, just no light!

Have you tried cleaning the connector on the Motherboard with some Isoprop, I do it with a thin card like the ones Taxi companies put through your door, I just spray the card with the isoprop then pinch it with the keyboard clamp and push it in and out a few times, it has worked for me in the past

From what I remember, the LED wires are just pushed against two pads on the membrane. If these have moved, got dirty or lost their pressure the LED won't be connected properly. I always thought it was a very dodgy way to power an LED, but I've rarely seen one fail.

If it works on a different A600 (and you mentioned it has been recapped), two caps are very close to the keyboard connector. Did the recapper possibly damage the connector?

Bryce.

Last edited:
Sorry, are you saying the light/keyboard works fine on another 600 but then light does not work on the other 600?? and do ALL the keys work ok?

Thanks!

Steve

hi,

i have an a600 but the caps light does not work.

i have checked the keyboard on another machine and it works fine.

caps works on the machine, just no light.

anyone have any idea what could cause this?

it has been recapped and everything else seems to be working fine, just no light!

hi

yeah all the keys work, and the light works if i put the keyboard in another machine. caps does work on this machine, but no light on it?)

all keys work on both machines,

no caps light on machine A, no matter which keyboard i use,
caps light works on machine B for both keyboards.

Take the Keyboard clamp off then get a multimeter and check pins 4 and 9 counting from the left of the Keyboard connector these are the power and ground pins for the LED

On pin 4 it should be 0v (ground) and on 9 it should be close to 5v

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom