Early A500 Location of the Commodore key?

mogouk

Country
uk
Region
cheshire
Hi Peeps, my uncle has just dug his A500 out of the loft, he purchased it new in the UK shortly after release, has has not used it for over 25 years, he has never messed with it, he is not a tinkerer unlike most of us, it has red leds, and embossed, 1.2 kickstart etc. just noticed the commodore key is on the right! not the left like the one i own, is this normal, rare, mistake at the factory? all the ones i have seen for sale the commodore key has been on the left!

someone please educate me.

Thanks!

mogouk

What color is the "A" key? Bold or transparent?

Yes, that's strange, normally Commodore key is on the left and the bold Amiga key on the right of the space bar. Maybe he changed them back then?

no deffo not he said, i know he's telling the truth as he can't even wire a plug lol, he has never messed with things ever.

A lot of (early) rev3 units were meant for storefronts to attract orders, but were retail sold nonetheless, if your uncle obtained such an early unit it might well have been used (and tampered with) before purchase.
And of course there's still the odd chance the keyboard came that way from the factory, especially if the keys were put in place by humans.

(you can verify it's a rev3 board inside by turning the audio filter off. Rev3's don't have the ability to turn it off, so if the sound quality doesn't change, you know it's a rev3).

Just a few days ago on ebay.co.uk an early A500 with commodore key on the right of the spacebar has been sold for more than <Snip> pounds (it was a bundle with a few games, joysticks, mice, etc...).
I think that it hasn't been modified, my guess is that there were both, A500 with C= key on the right and on the left of the spacebar...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom