Amiga 500 Pi Project...

britlord

Country
usa
Region
Michigan
Guys I've started building my Amiga 500 Pi. But would like to fit a Asus Tinker board instead of the Pi . Because it's 25% faster than the Pi 3. It has ARM Quad Core 1.8GHz processor and 2Gb DDR3 ram... Plus it has all the same ports as the Pi (in the same place) and the 40 pin GPIO header is fully compatible with Pi, so the power block and the RTC clock will work with the Tinker board. However, I don't know if The Amiga emulator "Amibian" will work with the Tinker Board.. Because it's written for the Pi board.. But what do you think.. Look at all the ports at the back of the Amiga case. I have even fitted a composite port too... But still have to fit the On/Off switch that will wired to the Power Block, and I have access to the micro card from the outside of the case now (Don't have to open up the case....

Oh, are the USB ports the correct way up...

Attachments

• DSC00297.jpg
    DSC00297.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00298.jpg
    DSC00298.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00299.jpg
    DSC00299.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Almost finished. All I have to do now is remove the Power Block's 6 pin header and solder in a header with extra long pins, so I can fit the RCT clock to the Power Block (Yep you can get a RCT clock for the Pi board now) and wire up the on/off switch, so I can install that...

You see fitting a Power Block to the Pi..You can turn the Pi off with a switch without having to pull the power plug out (Power goes to the power block not the Pi)... Also, if the Amiga emulator "Amibian" is ever converted to the tinker board. I'll fit that and it's a direct fit (All the ports are in the same place too (as on the Pi board)... Plus I do like Amibian because its like Winuae compared to other emulators.. Press F12 and all the options are there..

Attachments

• Amiga Pi.jpg
    Amiga Pi.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Pi Power Block.jpg
    Pi Power Block.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Your welcome, and more updates will come..

Last edited:
The case will be nice and light! Assuming youll use a Keyrah for the keyboard?

You got so many projects ongoing Mike!

Great job mate! Looks nice n' tidy. You could consider making this a portable A500 project by adding a battery pack which could give you plenty of autonomy so you can take it with you anywhere. See my Amstrad laptop project for example.

OK I sure will. Anyway Build just about finished. Power Block fitted with a RTC clock, and I've wired up the switch.. You see the Power Block will turn off the Pi correctly instead of just pulling the power plug out...

Now I've got to see if I've got a nice (None Yellowing keyboard)... But I'm not sure if the power or hard-drive LED's will work...

- - - Updated - - -

The case will be nice and light! Assuming youll use a Keyrah for the keyboard?

You got so many projects ongoing Mike!

Nope the Keyrah is not needed because the keyboard connects to the Tynemouth Software Amiga 500 USB Adapter board... . You see it changes the Amiga keyboard to a USB one, so it'll work with the Pi...

Now after this project is complete.. I'll get back to continue the work on my 2000 (It'll have a Pentium 233MMX SBC inside).. ISA Card.. 2 Computers in one case.. BRING BACK those great FPS DOS games..

Attachments

• Amiga Pi.jpg
    Amiga Pi.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Attachments

• Amiga Project.jpg
    Amiga Project.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Amiga Project-1.jpg
    Amiga Project-1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00305.jpg
    DSC00305.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00307.jpg
    DSC00307.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00306.jpg
    DSC00306.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That is one mighty fine project you have their Sir, I doff my fedora!

I'm curious about where you got most of your bits. The white plastic panel at the rear for example. Is that something you can buy or is it your own creation? Could you provide links to where you got most of your project as it may help others wishing to do the same (i.e. me!).

I've seen similar where someone used a Pi 3 in a Neo Geo X base and turned it into a retro console. Such a cracking ideas...

That is one mighty fine project you have their Sir, I doff my fedora!

I'm curious about where you got most of your bits. The white plastic panel at the rear for example. Is that something you can buy or is it your own creation? Could you provide links to where you got most of your project as it may help others wishing to do the same (i.e. me!).

I've seen similar where someone used a Pi 3 in a Neo Geo X base and turned it into a retro console. Such a cracking ideas...

Hi.. I got them from a guy here.. and he can make them in black, white and other colors too.. Oh, The only difference is that I moved the Pi further back.. Because with the power block fitted, and a RCT clock to the PI (The keyboard wouldn't sit all the way in place)..However using a powerblock you can just turn off the Pi with a on/off switch (That as bought from amazon.com).. No need to pull out the power plug anymore....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-500-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The web site for the build and getting the cables, and other parts are here:
https://amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=552&sid=233eea9faf2b60b5259821ed13754412

Here's my screen shot. You see I had a guy make it for me on a 32GB Micro card (He normally sells them on a 16GB Micro card).. But I wanted more space for all my ADF's that I have...

Attachments

• amberry.jpg
    amberry.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom