CDTV SCSI2SD help needed

danwood_uk

AmiBayer
Country
England, UK
Region
Nottinghamshire
Ok guys, so I've been tearing my hair out with this for about 6 months now. I want to get a SCSI2SD adapter working in my CDTV but nothing I try seems to work.

Reading the few posts/forums I can find about this, people say it just works out of the box for them, so I'm either doing something wrong or have a fault.

I have a SCSI2SD adapter V5 from AmigaKit, tested and working fine in my Amiga 3000.

51172487_2035767626721645_436601052184182784_n.jpg

I have a CDTV SCSI card purchased from ebay about a year ago. (Image of model attached).

s-l1600.jpg

CDTV is a 1.3 machine with 8mb RAM via diag port, and 1.0 extension ROMS.

I have tried a few SD cards in the unit, current one is a 16 GB SanDisk card.

These are the SCSI2SD settings I have:

sets.png

I've configured a 1.3 2 GB partition in UAE and it works fine there. I've prepped the card into a few 2GB partitions using PSFAIO, tested it using CDTV settings on WinUAE and it works fine there.

Moving the card over to my CDTV however, nothing...

HDInstTools gives me this error:

51366959_2035755050056236_9023027721055240192_n.jpg

A590 hard disk install tools tells me Driver not installed.

When powering on the CDTV the CDTV SCSI card red LED is lit and the yellow lamp flickers a few times, the yellow LED on the SCSI2SD flickers a few times too (so it seems they are communicating).

I've tried a few different cables, no difference.

Both termination packs are installed in the SCSI2SD device still.

I am not using any external power for the SCSI2SD (several people have told me the v5 doesn't need it), but have tried with USB power and no difference. I can buy an external molex supply if this could be an issue though.

I've ran out of ideas, anyone offer any help? :?

Thanks

Last edited:
You must use partition lower than 1 GB.

CDTV cannot handle bigger partitions.

If you want to have more partitions the sum of space of all of them has not to be bigger than 1 GB

Yep as said above 1gb is limit on 1.3, upgrade the rom to 3.1 and the extended roms to 2.3 for bigger partitions

Ok I've tried limiting it to 200mb in the SCSI2SD-Util but still getting same issue.

c1.png

image1.jpg

Shouldn't I at least be able to set up a new disk/partitions in HD Toolbox this way?

Oh I thought scsi.device was built into ROM, do I need this loaded in Workbench then?

I have an A590 install disk.

EDIT: Apparently it should be autoconfig, from the description:

"Autoboot SCSI-Controller to your CDTV with one internal 50-pin SCSI connector. The SCSI-bus is terminated on the PCB. The termination cannot be switched off. The driver is already included in your CDTV-ROMs. The use of Version 2.30 ROMs is strongly recommended but V1.0 ROMs work too. An unpatched system supports hard disks up to 1GB. "

Last edited:
Ok I was thinking it will be the same as the A500 which does not have scsi.device in its 1.3 rom, so you say it does not need power but I would still try a Y Molex splitter from the internal one in the CDTV to your Device just to eliminate it

Ok I was thinking it will be the same as the A500 which does not have scsi.device in its 1.3 rom, so you say it does not need power but I would still try a Y Molex splitter from the internal one in the CDTV to your Device just to eliminate it

Ok I'll order one off ebay and see.

I use above scsi controller too. It works ok with real scsi hd. Some time ago I purchased 3 scsi2ide adapters. One that was working in seller A3000 was not working with CDTV, no idea why, but 2 other worked fine with real ide HD. I also tried ide2cf. I did not try scsi2sd, but... what I would suggest is avoid using scsi id 0 and 7, I used id 4, 6 successfully, and ensure drive is visible when using WB3.1 floppy/gotek to boot. I also tested using adf with added new scsi.device. Also check if drive is using scsi.device and cdtv compatible driver is on first/ boot partition.

Wysłane z mojego ASUS_Z00AD przy użyciu Tapatalka

Yeah tried SCSI ID 2-9 now with no joy. Oh well, guess I'll look at getting a hard disk and sell the SCSI2SD if it's not going to work :(

Maybe an additional data point. I have this adapter and the scsi2sd v5 working, but in a CDTV with 3.1 kick and 2.30 extended ROMs. I'm not home for two weeks, but I can also try with the older ROMs when I'm back. However, I downloaded some drivers and setup tool from the Amiga hardware db that were for the original CDTV SCSI adapter, I'll try to find the exact disk image I used. I remember just using HDToolbox without those wouldn't work for me either...

That may be good point.
I used hdtoolbox from wb3.1 .add to configure and partition drive. I did not use emulator prepared drive. It worked for me.
It was some time ago, and I remember some time later when I tried to use 2 scsi devices, one hd,2nd cf it falked to detect cf. Bigger drive requires small first boot partition with scsi.device at least revision .46 (with big drive fix) in order to access other partitions. When booting from wb3.1 floppy I also have this driver on floppy to make hdtoolbox partition bigger drive.
Ks3.1 early boot menu will detect only small lower partitions, as ks3.1 scsi.device has not big partition fix. Otherwise it will not boot.
Currently my cdtv has 2 independent controllers one scsi, and one ide, to make this easier.

Wysłane z mojego ASUS_Z00AD przy użyciu Tapatalka

Back
Top Bottom