[Pre-Orders] Kipper2K Dual-Rom / Quad-Rom - hold reset to switch Kickstart rom boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curiosity,the quad solution as a function to choose which kickstart to start?
example A1200 Quad ROM 1.3 , 3.1 , 3.1.4 and DiagROM

Last edited:
Just curiosity,the quad solution as a function to choose which kickstart to start?
example A1200 Quad ROM 1.3 , 3.1 , 3.1.4 and DiagROM

Both the dual and quad rom's remember which kickstart to start, even from a cold boot.

The order of roms can be in that order yes, all of them.

Interested in one quad for a4000d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in one quad for a4000d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interest received PM sent.

*Updated main thread with 1/3 stock left notice, I'll order more stock end of march to keep up with demands*

update : ordered again last part next day delivery.

production begins 12th March 2019 as items are made I will inform buyers with status of the progress, testing and delivery tracking etc .

Will also post photos and make a video

Last edited:
2x dual roms sent to mmj_uk

Please bare me everyone so much to get through :)

it it goes without saying ...

Just want everyone to take their time when inserting and removing their kickstart rom boards the pins aren’t the best and may snap if you bend them !!! Since there’s isn’t a real reason to swap roms out of your system that often try to commit to leaving it in full time.

Repairing the pins isn’t exactly a simple process either as risk to pcb traces / vias is always possible so just go very very slowly making sure to insert the right way first time etc !

Best way to remove these rom boards is by rotating the handle of tweezers clockwise or anti-clockwise in each side or all four corners (32bit).

heI7YCG.png

This is a test unit ^ and not a customers unit. Yours will be more professional and have LED's

*update*

Preparing to ship 1x quad rom for a1200 to amigat , I'll get a few more boards done and send them at the same time.

* Getting through the orders a4k without an a4k... tricky *

I believe a4k roms will just freeze/black screen on the a1200 (freemilk tested his 3.0, 3.1 and 3.1.4 a4k roms in a1200 it happened to do same ) and therefor I'm going with that as a good test. I will send out the a4k rom to the next buyer in line and ask him to test before I start sending out the rest of the a4k rom boards. Trying to save wasted time here.

Currently working through the list, now at
PRS a4k/a1200 boards.

A4k boards can't be properly tested on a1200 as hi/lo is in different order in respect to the romboard. I will have to honour the sales by programming and soldering them as best of my abilities! but will no longer support a4k sales until I own an a4k myself in the future.

Last edited:
I am Looking to make a few 'testsocket' 48-tsop boards if anyone is interested in purchasing any in the future? I'd like all interested parties to declare interest now.

The testsocket boards will not be for the average amigan but for the tinkerer amigan, developer, or someone who likes to patch their rom's with different modules etc. It will be able to accommodate dual / quad roms and swap between roms with CTRL-A-A. All you will need is a tl866 programmer and 48tsop test socket programmer addon to update your flash chips with new roms, insert into testsocket amiga 16bit or 32bit boards (hi/lo respectively) and boot your amiga. I will sell the units fully assembled and with blank flash chips. Price will be around £40~

Last edited:
Update:

Shipping units to Amigat and PRS tomorrow.

Contacted go0se via pm for his kits.

Working on bobbymillers next.

*update*

shipped to Amigas and PRS

go0se kit will be shipped soon

bobbymillers order will begin today.

Last edited:
Important Update:

Regarding QUAD A500/A500+ boards, it appears the Amiga 500/500+ models did not always come with RP106 and RP107(address line pull up x9 4700ohms) populated. THIS is a problem for the quad-chips which are slightly out of spec with Amiga 500/500+ expectations.

To be ready for your 16-bit rom , please populate RP106 and RP107 with 4.7kohm resistors x9 (10 pin SIL) either by de-soldering the holes and installing it snug, or laying them on its side and soldering it to the holes carefully.

I WILL supply all QUAD A500 sales with the required parts.

If you have any additional questions or woes, please PM me and we can discuss that, always aiming to make sure you get the best outcome.

N84qAn7.png

For rev 3/5 it may not be possible to use quad-rom ... in that case I will create a new PCB to resolve this issue

Dual rom appear to work fine on rev3/5 a500, and r6 etc without the resistor networks installed - if you want to downgrade, the difference will be refunded.

Last edited:
Little problem with a500 and the quad chips ....

J2E1t3E.png

Affecting 2.0, 3.1 so far, 3.1.4 / 1.3 look fine. Weird!

Any ideas? something tells me timing issue of the 29f160.

Kipper2k and I are trying to bash out a fix, we discovered that rp106/rp107 gets them to boot , could be my A500 that's causing the issues, I've ordered more 10 pin SIL 9x 4.7k ohm for my A500+ to see if the problem is random , I built a few boards and same issue across all of them so far. If it is working fine on my a500+ then I will produce new PCB for them with pull up arrays if thats case , take the hit on time + money , that's fine!!! but this is a strange one.

Update: my r8a.1 is working fine, just my r6 doing this.... wonder if my r6 is broken or flash chips are just running out of spec for my r6... so many variables ordered some AMD chips.

False alarm, looks like its my A500 R6 thats faulty.. quad roms are fine >.<.

A resolution for the Address lines is soldering either to your A500 R6/R8.... OR soldering the 4.7kohm resistor arrays to the Quad-rom pcb.

A viable fix for rev 3, 5 a500's and A2000
bGxZvJJ.png

solder to the romboard PCB if your romboard does not boot!

*update*

OK very confused. my r6 required rp106 and rp107 installed to function with the quad-rom, and there were glitches , so i removed rp106 and rp107 and now im glitch free and the rom boots fine... HEAD hurts.

So I guess it depends on your amiga, my r8 needs them, my r6 (did) and now doesnt. .. what can I say very odd.

I will then continue to make the boards and send them to the owners tried and tested, if it doesn't work its your Amiga. And in that case you need to do the workaround in the photo above, or modify your amiga if applicable rp106/rp107. BUT FIRST test on your amiga before you modify!

For all Quad a500 and a2000 sales, I will supply 2x 10 pin SIL 4.7kohm (9 pins) to 1 common pin , it's up to the end user to solder it carefully to their a500 r6/r8 motherboard or romboard itself IF the amiga is having trouble booting .

Last edited:
Board received.

A little showdown of how this board runs on my A1200 machine:
https://youtu.be/D_U_edCbxSc

Really nice!

Never mind the reset after a cold start, this happens to me also with a single kickstart and might have to do with the fact that my A1200 is heavily modified (BPPC/BVision/Indivision/HxC/RapidRoad).

PRS

Last edited:
Board received.

A little showdown of how this board runs on my A1200 machine:
https://youtu.be/D_U_edCbxSc

Really nice!

Never mind the reset after a cold start, this happens to me also with a single kickstart and might have to do with the fact that my A1200 is heavily modified (BPPC/BVision/Indivision/HxC/RapidRoad).

PRS

Nice Amiga setup, now I can't wait to get my hands on one. Did you try booting any Kickstart 1.3 only based games, not that it wouldn't work but just to see them running on the A1200?

PRS, awesome video glad to see everything is as expected on your a1200.

jd64, I fixed my r6 now so continue with your boards sorry about delays Amiga can really cause headaches at times!

here my photos of a1200 with kipper2k quad-rom switcher
very happy with this device a1+++++

Attachments

• 20190321_130651.jpg
    20190321_130651.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20190321_131152.jpg
    20190321_131152.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190321_131556.jpg
    20190321_131556.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1