[Pre-Orders] Kipper2K Dual-Rom / Quad-Rom - hold reset to switch Kickstart rom boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidCore

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
united kingdom
Region
west midlands
Orders open .

Sold many units to many satisfied amibay users, read posts to see user videos .

Hi Guys,

I am taking pre-orders for 16bit and 32bit Dual-Rom (2 in 1) OR Quad-Rom (4 in 1) kickstart boards.

What is it?

This dual or quad rom board allows you to swap roms without the need for case modding or jumper swapping, simply hold your CTRL-A-A keys on your amiga keyboard for long than 2 seconds and your amiga will reboot into another kickstart!

VIDEO: CTRL-A-A Reset Toggles the kickstart (Manually shorting kb Reset to gnd here but same thing)
-> https://streamable.com/pblrr

KEY Features- Simply hold RESET (CTRL-A-A) for a small period of time to switch kick roms. A quick reset will not switch roms.
- No more case modding switches, no more jumper swapping!
- Remembers last ROM selected even after power down.

Important please read me (LEGAL NOTICE)

It goes without saying you are required to provide legal and valid rom images via e-mail before purchase. Unfortunately this romboard cannot be reprogrammed without desoldering the rom chip(s) from the pcb.

This item is intended for convenient switching of legally owned roms on your Amiga(s)!

Price Menu

- Quad-Rom (4 in 1) as 16bit or 32bit @ £32.99 excludes P&P*
- Dual-Rom (2 in 1) as 16bit or 32bit @ £23.99 excludes P&P*

* P&P (UK 7~ GBP, other areas TBD at point of sale)

Dimensions

32bit rom (two chip configuration) romboard
58mm*36mm dimension

16bit rom (single chip configuration) romboard
58mm*18mm dimension

Supported Systems

16bit:
- A500 /A500+
- A1500
- A600 /A600HD
- A2000

32bit:
- A1200 /A1200HD
- A4000 /A4000T * dropping support for this right now, all orders will be honoured thus far. PM me for more info if required.
- Other (PM)

Obviously your legally obtained ROM must be specific to the hardware in the above list, it is not possible to use an A1200 ROM in an A4000 or vise versa without adverse issues or failure to boot. It is possible to use A500/A600/A2000 interchangably but it is not recommended to pull the rom board in/out between Amiga, make several purchases.

How to order

All interested parties must declare their interest and are required to PM me, all paid orders are on a first come first serve basis. Production HAS began and I’m getting through the list. To avoid delay order today .

Credits

Hardware design by Kipper2K
Programming by Mike Stirling
Production by SolidCore
And a big thanks to the other team members Indigolemon and Freemilk

Kipper2k's original announcement
http://www.kipper2k.com/romboard/16bitrom.html

A firm and proper warning:

Ensure proper insulation on top of the rom board / metal plate of keyboard , as keyboard back plate may short on your rom board pins. Other custom options such as a mediator etc may have to be insulated also. INSERTION or REMOVAL of kickstart romboards at your own risk. IF you are not sure, ask the forum or this thread!!! don't insert the rom board incorrectly. make sure you read before inserting anything into your amiga... the wrong position or
orientation can cause black smoke! TO remove romboard safely, put the back of tweezer handle and turn clock-wise or counter-clock-wise in the gap under PCB to push the pcb up out of the socket a tiny bit , moving between each corner or side slowly. Pulling tools/screw driver or hands is not recommended . I am not responsible for damage caused by you or hardware installation in your Amiga and you agree to not hold me liable for said damages. All 3rd party hardware to Be used in your vintage machine should be used at your own risk

Last edited:
I'm interested in 2 x Dual-Rom boards for Amiga 500+.

PM'ed.

Last edited:
can you switch between kick starts via switch? rather then hold down rest,
also can amiga 500 kickstart rom image work on amiga 1200?
I did see a video of someone having a500 kickstart on a1200

Last edited:
I can upload pcb images of the boards and their dimensions if that will help . I’m currently out right now but I’ll update the original thread post when I get home .

if you look at the url in the original post you can see the size of the dual/quad rom board for 16bit Amigas , the a1200 board is basically same but dual-socket size .

*See main thread*

Last edited:
Hi, declaring interest in 1 quad-rom for A2000.
Can you explain better how it works,please? Kipper's web site is not very clear and there is just 1 picture that don't explain how is the quad and dual rom.
Thanks

Hi, declaring interest in 1 quad-rom for A2000.
Can you explain better how it works,please? Kipper's web site is not very clear and there is just 1 picture that don't explain how is the quad and dual rom.
Thanks

Hi no problem, so in the case of the A2000 (16-bit), it will be a quad-rom (4-in-1) on board the pcb whereby holding RESET for a few seconds will signal the chip to cycle through each rom. a quick hit of the reset button will not swap the rom at boot up as desired , power off will remember the last set rom on power up.

The dual-rom contains 2 images, so if you had Kickstart 3.1 and Diagrom for example you would simply hold reset to toggle between the roms, KS3.1 , then to Diagrom and the 3rd reset would go back to the beginning KS3.1.

Hope that explains , I will reply to your PM also acknowledging interest.

I think the dual/quad are probably the same size, the dimensions will be for 16bit vs 32bit (Amiga's with a single rom socket versus dual rom socket).

*update*
Options:
- Quad-Rom (4 in 1) @ £32.99 excludes P&P - 58mm*18mm dimension
- Dual-Rom (2 in 1) @ £23.99 excludes P&P - 58mm*36mm dimension

Are those dimensions reversed? The quad is smaller than the double?

sorry wrong copy paste, shouldn't edit posts using phone! ! ;) meant to be about the single chip (16bit) and dual chip (32bit) boards, both can accommodate 2 in 1 and 4 in 1 roms, I've corrected the OP.

mmj_uk is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

can you switch between kick starts via switch? rather then hold down rest,
also can amiga 500 kickstart rom image work on amiga 1200?
I did see a video of someone having a500 kickstart on a1200

Yes if you wire a switch or push button to the Service Reset on the A500 or A1200 you would get the same effect as holding down CTRL-A-A

Yes you can run 1.3 on the A1200, keep in mind that you'll loose the hard disk IDE header on that boot but you'll be able to use the floppy as normal.

Last edited:
Interested in:
1x Dual ROM 1.3-3.1.4 for A500
1x Dual ROM 1.3-3.1.4 for A600
1x Dual ROM 1.3-3.1.4 for A1200, if there is a solution due to 2x ROMs in machine
I own legally ROM 1.3 and 3.1.4 for all my machines. Thank you.
Shipping to Australia

R
So the ROM is under the sticker and the height is like an original KS ROM?

the chip where the rom is stored is low profile, see the link in the op kipper2k original announcement .

- - - Updated - - -

Interested in:
1x Dual ROM 1.3-3.1.4 for A500
1x Dual ROM 1.3-3.1.4 for A600
1x Dual ROM 1.3-3.1.4 for A1200, if there is a solution due to 2x ROMs in machine
I own legally ROM 1.3 and 3.1.4 for all my machines. Thank you.
Shipping to Australia

Pm can’t send . Inbox quota full

and the a1200 does have two chips and will support the dual roms as expected.

Last edited:
Hello, please excuse if these questions seem basic...

So for an A4000 Desktop which has the processor card sitting on top of the twin Kickstart ROMs it would fit without problems?
A Quad ROM would allow me to run 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.4 and DiagROM ?

What if DiagROM is upgraded in the future?

Hello, please excuse if these questions seem basic...

So for an A4000 Desktop which has the processor card sitting on top of the twin Kickstart ROMs it would fit without problems?
A Quad ROM would allow me to run 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.4 and DiagROM ?

What if DiagROM is upgraded in the future?

i can send it out and if it doesn’t fit you can send it back if you like ?

Yes all four roms

if you have mad skills you could reflash the rom chip yourself by hot air removal but at your own risk or have it reprogrammed at a small fee plus shipping by me : anyone else capable of doing the hot air desoldering etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom