Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi All,

I got a new TF330, replaced my 328 and sadly the CD32 wont boot.

I've tried the usual cleaning connectors, etc but no joy. The 328 works fine and is reliable.

I only have the standard CD32 PSU and I don't know if my CD32 has been recapped (probably not) however it's all running well otherwise.

Power light stays dim when the 330 is connected and then the CD activity light comes on and it does not boot further. With my 328 the power light quickly goes bright and I can see the CF activity from my IDE adapter flashing away.

Any idea's? Maybe someone locally could try it in their CD32 or with their own Adapter/Riser. I was told this should work with my old Kipper riser so not expecting to need new but I can try and get one of anyone thinks that will help.

Steve.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks pretty tho lol:

2019-03-05 12.12.06.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Panic over, all up and running. I wonder if it is a caps issue because after a period of warmup of using the 328 I went back and tried the 330 and it booted right away!

2019-03-09 14.07.34.jpg

2019-03-09 14.05.59.jpg

2019-03-09 14.07.10.jpg

2019-03-09 14.06.39.jpg

You can try to clean edge connector, it helps in most cases

Please do me a favour and check Akiko chip revision installed in Your CD32.

Last edited:
You can try to clean edge connector, it helps in most cases

Please do me a favour and check Akiko chip revision installed in Your CD32.

Hi ya, all up and running now, all connectors were cleaned however it booted after a long session with my 328 so I'm thinking cap warm up or something is why it wouldn't boot from a cold CD32.

Will try it again tomorrow from cold. Getting my A1200 and CD32 re-capped soon anyway.

Been testing a few games, Doom, Wolf3D and now just burning T-Zer0, I do regret selling my original copy :(

Last edited:
I'd love it if you could record and post a video of Doom running on it!

Burst mode isn't turned on yet, please don't expect rocket speeds for now, this will be updated at some point thru firmware update

Last edited:
I'd love it if you could record and post a video of Doom running on it!

Hi ya, I might dust off the Camera and do a Video later, haven't posted to mt YT in years!

I powered it up from cold this morning and it was fine so no idea why it wouldn't boot at first.

I recommend using a stronger PSU, standard one is quite weak and its most likely being pushed to its limits.

I recommend using a stronger PSU, standard one is quite weak and its most likely being pushed to its limits.

Thanks yeah I know original PSU is not great, I might get one ATX adapter later but today again it's running fine just put in a 1hr session so I don't know why the issues the first time, I mean I reseated it, cleaned it, etc like 10 times but after putting the 328 back and then installing again it's been working like a charm so I'm not removing it again lol.

Well at least not until I get the caps done to be on the safe side.

Thanks Steve, that’s pretty quick, I expected it to be slower than that. Not far off a3640 25mhz 040 speed. Does the Akiko help at all with c2p?

Steve, it was probably due to weight of the card... I always put a piece of cardboard or something thick under cd32 cards as they tend to flex a little at an angle otherwise and sometimes fail to boot. Maybe that was simply the culprit?

Steve, it was probably due to weight of the card... I always put a piece of cardboard or something thick under cd32 cards as they tend to flex a little at an angle otherwise and sometimes fail to boot. Maybe that was simply the culprit?

Might well be I have a piece of foam under the card (the insulation you get with a PC motherboard) Maybe it's packed in a bit better this time!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Steve, that’s pretty quick, I expected it to be slower than that. Not far off a3640 25mhz 040 speed. Does the Akiko help at all with c2p?

It might well do, there's a fair bit of slowdown, an FPU might have helped but certainly playable. If I had that in 199x I'd have been over the moon!

Doom is entirely integer so sadly an fpu wouldn’t help. Quake needs an fpu, that’s why the pentiums did so well with it.

My first ever CD32 arrived today! Luckily I had a TF330, keyboard and honeybee competition pro pad waiting for it! Hooked up through an OSSC it works brilliantly. What a great living room whdload box :) and Doom does indeed work quite well :)

Doom is entirely integer so sadly an fpu wouldn’t help. Quake needs an fpu, that’s why the pentiums did so well with it.

My first ever CD32 arrived today! Luckily I had a TF330, keyboard and honeybee competition pro pad waiting for it! Hooked up through an OSSC it works brilliantly. What a great living room whdload box :) and Doom does indeed work quite well :)

Awesome grats on the Cd32

I had the same challenges Steve :) . First time, no beans. Disassemble, reassemble, perfect!

Had a similar problem, but at the time i noticed it look like the weight of the RGB cable and it slightly pressing against the TV was pulling the top of the 330 down a little, when i straightened it up and rebooted, it was fine,that was one of the reasons i wanted a longer IDE cable ,so i didn't have to keep removing the expansion.
very happy with the way Doom runs btw , (Doomattack) full screen but low detail and does shift quite well, altho ive never been a frames per second freak :D good enough for me anyway.

Last edited:
Fantastic bit of kit tho isn't it. :D

Mine’s on its way home after being flashed to the new firmware. Burst mode and now 9.6ish MIPS! That should help even more with CD32 Doom :)

Back
Top Bottom