Original 1987 Amiga 500 + Basics and Essentials (Nothing Yellowed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rancibot

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
US
Region
MN
Hello,

Want a non-yellowed original 1987 amiga 500 with the capacitors replaced, clean and solid drives, all whats needed for the best ntsc/pal switching, and any other basic essentials to get started. (again nothing discolored or yellowed)

Have 2 addresses, near europe and within the U.S, and I travel in addition, so I'm flexible with shipping.

This is just to clarify that shipping shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Hello,

Want a non-yellowed original 1987 amiga 500 with the capacitors replaced, clean and solid drives, all whats needed for the best ntsc/pal switching, and any other basic essentials to get started. (again nothing discolored or yellowed)

Have 2 addresses, near europe and within the U.S, and I travel in addition, so I'm flexible with shipping.

What you want is actually self-contradictory.
An original 1987 A500 uses either an 8370 (NTSC) or 8371 (PAL) Agnus, so ntsc/pal switching is not possible.
Also "original" is somewhat ambiguous with respect to motherboard - in the US it'd most likely mean an early rev5 motherboard, in Europe a rev3.
But rev3 motherboards, despite being the "earliest", lack the capability to turn the audio filter on-off, and typically carry a bugged version of Gary, and can be pickier with peripherals (timing and noise issues). Rev5 ones fair better and typically have a factory fix so, even if they have the bugged Gary, they operate correctly.

Rev5 definitely grounds Agnus pin41, rev3 probably does the same. So if you install the only out-of-the-box compatible Agnus, the 8372A (violating the "originality" of the A500 to support PAL/NTSC switching), it'll always boot in NTSC mode unless you bend pin41 inwards or otherwise isolate it (more hacking).

Unless you are specifically after some early A500 "niceties" (the hi-tek keyboard, the original bulky 1.6" Chinon or Panasonic drives, the C= embossed case, the heavyweight PSU, the Hong-Kong mouse, the early spiral-bound documentation, the 1.2 KS/WB) I'd actually recommend you got a European rev6A A500 with 1.3 KS/WB "enhancer software" pack, the 8372A Agnus, the 5V/4.5A PSU version, the Malaysia mouse, a boring Mitsumi keyboard and ideally a slim 1" Teac/Mitsumi drive mounted on a support base.
Definitely less "museum/exhibition" value but much greater usability and maintainability, esp considering:
1. Much higher chances that you find a complete package in the desired condition
2. Solid expandability pathway
3. Availability of spares (mouse switches, keyboard spares, floppy drives)

Good luck

Hello,

What you want is actually self-contradictory.
An original 1987 A500 uses either an 8370 (NTSC) or 8371 (PAL) Agnus, so ntsc/pal switching is not possible.
Also "original" is somewhat ambiguous with respect to motherboard - in the US it'd most likely mean an early rev5 motherboard, in Europe a rev3.
But rev3 motherboards, despite being the "earliest", lack the capability to turn the audio filter on-off, and typically carry a bugged version of Gary, and can be pickier with peripherals (timing and noise issues). Rev5 ones fair better and typically have a factory fix so, even if they have the bugged Gary, they operate correctly.

Rev5 definitely grounds Agnus pin41, rev3 probably does the same. So if you install the only out-of-the-box compatible Agnus, the 8372A (violating the "originality" of the A500 to support PAL/NTSC switching), it'll always boot in NTSC mode unless you bend pin41 inwards or otherwise isolate it (more hacking).

Unless you are specifically after some early A500 "niceties" (the hi-tek keyboard, the original bulky 1.6" Chinon or Panasonic drives, the C= embossed case, the heavyweight PSU, the Hong-Kong mouse, the early spiral-bound documentation, the 1.2 KS/WB) I'd actually recommend you got a European rev6A A500 with 1.3 KS/WB "enhancer software" pack, the 8372A Agnus, the 5V/4.5A PSU version, the Malaysia mouse, a boring Mitsumi keyboard and ideally a slim 1" Teac/Mitsumi drive mounted on a support base.
Definitely less "museum/exhibition" value but much greater usability and maintainability, esp considering:
1. Much higher chances that you find a complete package in the desired condition
2. Solid expandability pathway
3. Availability of spares (mouse switches, keyboard spares, floppy drives)

Good luck

I meant a model that resembles the 1987 model. Could be from 1988-1990 as long as it is able to switch regions. This should be doable and so the rest will continue to consider my request.

Last edited:
Again I'm looking for something that resembles the 87 model, close to that time if possible, as long as it is able to switch regions. Caps should be replaced, clean, and not yellowed.

Anyone have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom