Storage options: Tidying up my collection (without Marie Kondo)

bkodenkt

Country
Deutschland
Region
Bremen
I recently decided to give my smaller Amiga's a better chance of survival in storage, so I started researching my options since I have long lost the original boxes. And, to be honest, those original boxes are way to clunky to carry your 'miggy around. So... I found a case for measuring instruments that sported layers of block-foam. Those layers can be cut with a simple knife to fit right about every device you want to put into the case. For 30 Euro per case I gave it a try with my furia'ed A600:

IMG_20190408_194328_5.jpg

Yeah, well. It fits, right along with mouse, one Competition Pro Joystick, RGB-to-SCART-cable and some PCMCIA cards. Tight and sturdy enough to carry the June Bug to conventions once or twice a year. And a great option to safely put the Amiga onto a storage shelf. But what about the PSU and all the other gadgets like card reader, second Joystick, 4-player-adaptors and SCART-to-HDMI adaptor?

IMG_20190408_194309_7.jpg

Easy! I opted for another case, this one smaller in width and length, but higher to accomodate the PSU. And while I was at it, I bought a third case for my A500's accessories like the AlfaPower 500, PSU, cabling, another SCARt-to-HDMI adaptor and A520 TV-modulator. Well, there goes my money... :picard But, as you can see, it all fits quite snug. So for my A600 and the A500 each I now have two cases to carry. The cases are well stackable for easy storage.

Okay, I already mentioned the A500. It's a rev5, Kick 1.2 system with 1MB Chip-RAM mod and 6MB Fast-RAM via the AlfaPower 500... So, here it is, case number four:

IMG_20190408_194319_8.jpg

As you can see, this is very tight fit with the same case size I used for my A600. But, again, very well stackable and a good option for storage or safe travel.

At last I felt "the need" to safely store my CD32 including its Kipper2k riser card and the TF330, one original joypad, asmall PS/2 keyboard and a new, small PSU.

IMG_20190408_194341_1.jpg

Again, this ist the same size case I already used for my A500 and the A600. Fits perfectly! (y)

So, this is the whole lot of my small Amiga storage solution:

IMG_20190408_194039_7.jpgIMG_20190408_194224_4.jpg

Five cases, two different sizes, three Amiga's and all accessories safely stored. Overall cost about 140 Euro. I am very pleased with this solution, but I am absolutely clueless about storing my A2000 :Doh:

And yes, Ms. Kondo, this does make me happy.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Looks nice and tidy, however I would worry that some chemical in the foam might impact the plastic cases. Perhaps the color will rub off or fumes may cause some other impact. I have seen many examples of stuff being tucked away in a box where they have become damaged in this manner. The insulation on cables often 'melts' plastic where it touches and the same is seen with rubber bands, so I would avoid any kind of rubber-to-plastic contact. I have even seen examples of styrofoam 'rubbing off' on stuff it had been in contact with.

That's a good hint, @demolition! I will have that in mind, but I regularly check my Amigas anyway - as in taking them out to play with them :roll:

I was toying with the same idea a couple of days ago and good to see how it actually works. What dimensions your cases are?

Jealous of those padded cases, how much do they set you back and how easy is it to replace the foam if you made a mistake or want to adjust things?

Back
Top Bottom