Not open for further replies.

Jeff_Birt

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Rolla, MO
NOTE: I am updating this on October 7. 2020 as newer kits and more information is available since I posted this originally.

After a great deal of trial and error, I came up with a ‘C64 Case Saver’ kit. The kit includes repair parts for the screw posts, PCB standoffs and the three rear tabs on the top case. The post sleeves and PCB standoffs are CNC machined out of natural ABS. The three rear tabs for the top case may be CNC machined or 3D printed. I 3D print these in such a way that the strength lies along the length of the tab, so the business end won’t snap off.

The screw post repair sleeves are castellated, so they slip right down over the top of the posts. Some posts might be ‘mushroomed’ (smashed a little on top) and require a bit of sanding. The PCB standoffs have a wide base for plenty of gluing area but are narrower at the top so they will fit the holes in the PCB bottom metal shield. The top case rear tabs are designed to self-align to make gluing easier.

Along the way, we have discovered there are at least 6 different types of tabs used on the rear of the top case on bread-bins.

TYPE 1: Type 1 tabs are flat with Type 1A having two wide tabs and one narrow tab, all three of the Type 1B tabs are wide.

TYPE 2: Type 2 tabs have a 'recess' or 'notch' in them. Type 2A tabs have a recess with one narrow and two wide tabs. Type 2B and 2C had two ‘hooks’ originally instead of full-width tabs. The Type 2B cases have three wide tabs. The Type 2C cases have two wide tabs and one narrow.

TYPE 64C: The 64C cases so far have only one known variant to the tab type which we are calling the 64CA Type Tab. The screw post uses a different size of repair sleeve and the PCB stand-offs have two different heights that are both different than the bread-bin cases.

To make things a little more complicated all of these tab types take a slightly different size/shape of repair tab. We created an individual 3D model of each to produce repair tabs that fit and work well. We have also recently started embossing the tab type into the tab during the printing process.

Also included is a good drill bit which matches the screw post hole size for your case type (bread-bin and 64C are different). The bit not only aids in aligning the PCB standoffs but is the correct size to drill out the crew holes in the screw mounting posts is you should need to fill one with epoxy to repair damaged threads! When you order multiple kits at the same time there is a discount and only one bit of each type will be included (as needed per types ordered).

The older VIC20's may use smaller screws for the PCB standoffs. If the screws holding the PCB in are smaller than the case screws you have this type of case. We don't have the correct standoffs for these cases yet.

Look carefully at the Measurements section on the webpage linked below for dimensions of each tab type to help you pick out the correct lit. Also there are pictures of the different types above. We also have these on eBay if that is better for you. Links below.

The complete kit contains for the 11 post sleeves (bread bin, 3 for 64C), 7 PCB standoffs, 3 rear clips/tabs. $12.95

The clips/tabs or PCB standoffs are available separately for $4.95

Shipping: In USA a single kit will ship for about $6 (insured), International $6.50 (not insured)

Product page: https://www.soigeneris.com/commodore-64-caser-saver-repair-kit
Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133095763827

Installation video: https://youtu.be/TOX1zKe6ItA

Kit contents.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any good way for me to determine the case type(s) I have? Or would you be willing to sell a kit wit the normal amount of post sleeves and PCB standoffs but with rear tabs for all 3 case types? (for somewhat less than the $38.85 the 3 separate kits would cost)

Last edited:
Take a look at pictures on the product page and the YouTube video. I tried to go into great depth so you can tell what case you have. The only question at this point is the difference between Type 2A and 2B. These are the tabs with recesses. In the Type-2A, the ribs were added to the flat tab so you have a 2mm or so flat tab with 1mm ribs (just round numbers off the top of my head), in the Type-2B the center of the flat tab was removed, so the center is the same thickness as the wall thickness of the back of the case and the hook is more like a hoop.

If you want to send me some pictures of that you have I'll help you identify the case.

After just taking a second look I realised I was 'reading' the pictures wrong the first time I checked. I thought you were showing images of the cases with the replacement parts in place but that's the cases as they originally were and none of mine match. My bread bins only have 2 small hooks in each location (6 total) without any material to bridge between them. I'll upload pictures when I get a chance. Looking at how sturdy the other versions are in comparison I'm struggling to see how you break them!

@BobbonThreadbare it sounds like
you might have the elusive 2B type rear tabs. I had someone in Canada contact me with a VIC20 with this type of tabs. He just sent some great pictures last night. I've attached one there to confirm it is the same type you have. I have seen al four types of tabs break though the 2A seems to be the most robust.

Also, thanks for stating what about the photos was confusing. I'll rework the captions to make it more clear those are the original intact tabs and I'll add pictures of repaired tabs too.

Type 2B tabs.jpg

Last edited:
I did find that I had a VIC20 cse with the type '2B' tabs (hook style three wide tabs). The fellow in Canada has what I'm calling a Type 2C case as it has hooked tabs but two wide and one narrow. To make things more interesting the 'wide' tabs on the two case styles are different widths as well.

I made some replacement tabs for both style cases this weekend. I've test fit the replacement on my Type 2B and it fits and the fellow in Canada will try the 2C reapir set on his VIC20. If all goes well I'll have a replacement kit both cases in a few weeks.

Still working on the 64C kit...

Update on C64, VIC20, and 64C Case Saver Kits

In this video, we covered a few new case saver types for the Commodore VIC20, C64, and 64C computers. I hope this will allow folks to repair their vintage cases and keep using them and enjoying them for decades to come.

In the description below are links to the original installation video and the Case Saver product page. Look for the new repair kits to be added very soon. If you would like I can make it possible to pre-order them. Just let me know.

https://youtu.be/07h_9CUrbJs
https://www.soigeneris.com/commodore-64-caser-saver-repair-kit

Hi Jeff, just received an order of two kits and they are great. Fixed three cases with them. Now is it also possible to just order just the tabs, instead of a full kit that also has the standoffs in it? Most of the cases that go through my hand only have damaged tabs, are of the fragile type 2A/B and almost none have broken standoffs. I'd be happy with an order of 10 sets of type 2B and nothing else.

Last edited:
I'll look at that. Having 10 sets of tabs of each type in a seperate kit might be doable. Maye call that a 'bulk' pack or something like that.

I had not updated this thread for ages and just added more information to the first post. There are new kit types available as new bread bin case variations were discovered and the 64C Case Saver Kit is also now available. Pricing and shipping information was also updated to follow forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom