AA3000+ Amiga 3000 AGA motherboard

To get the Voodoo working I did the following:
- installed the software from the Prometheus CD
- installed the Prometheus v2.5 update
- installed Picasso96 v2.1b
- installed MMULib

It's been months since I did the install but as far as I remember I didn't need to manually alter any files after the installers to get the graphics card working.

The directory structure is following:
Libs/prometheus.library (2728 bytes, version 2.5)
Libs/mmu.library (47032 bytes, version 46.18 )
Libs/68030.library (2468 bytes, version 46.5)
Libs/680x0.library (864 bytes, version 46.1)
Libs/Picasso96/rtg.library (217988 bytes, version 40.3992)
Libs/Picasso96/fastlayers.library (1460 bytes, version 40.48 )
Libs/Picasso96/emulation.library (39652 bytes, version 40.395)
Libs/Picasso96/3dfxvoodoo.chip (21068 bytes, version 7.11)
Libs/Picasso96/Prometheus.card (6084 bytes, version 7.530)

Devs/Monitors/Prometheus (2720 bytes, version 40.42)

C/SetPatch (14864 bytes, version 43.7)

I'm using AmigaOS 3.1, no experience with Prometheus on AmigaOS 3.9.

Brilliant, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Installing mmulibs has fixed the problem!

How exactly does the Auto/Ami/Gfx jumper work? Is a vga card’s output routed through a cable to the 12pin header next to this jumper? Is software required, like with the ratte switch’s switchcontrol program or, as I assume, is that exactly what auto is for? And output routes through the motherboards vga output?

any links to a suitable vga to 12pin idc?

Last edited:
I’m managed to get a spare empty A3000 case for my AA3000+. It’s an absolutely perfect fit :)

Do you have an accelerator? I had issues mounting my A3660. My case is either slightly bent (it was, but I thought I put everything back in its place) or the CPU slot is placed towards that back ~2mm.

I have a couple of accelerators but they’re staying in my 4000 and 3000. I believe wrangler has mounted an A3660 on his AA3000+ (whilst it’s in a 3000 case) without issue.

@trixster is right, but I got tbtorro to do a low profile version of the A3660 without a fan on the 060 in order to fit an A3000 case. But the accelerator fits fine in an A3000 with the AA3000+ motherboard.

Hi guys,
I have some (maybe stupid) concern: FB186, FB187, FB187 and C186, C187, R180 are swapped - their positions are different on actual mobo than on pcb explorer. What is wrong and how it shoud be soldered properly?
... I do not have schematics to check it

Last edited:
The motherboard PCB has correct markings, follow them. The PCB Explorer had wrong files, I have updated the assembly zip with correct files. The updated zip can be downloaded from the same link I originally gave you via PM.

How exactly does the Auto/Ami/Gfx jumper work? Is a vga card’s output routed through a cable to the 12pin header next to this jumper? Is software required, like with the ratte switch’s switchcontrol program or, as I assume, is that exactly what auto is for? And output routes through the motherboards vga output?

any links to a suitable vga to 12pin idc?

It's disappointing that nobody felt like answering this one.

The motherboard PCB has correct markings, follow them. The PCB Explorer had wrong files, I have updated the assembly zip with correct files. The updated zip can be downloaded from the same link I originally gave you via PM.

@hese, when I re-download the file everything inside has the same old timestamps. Is it correct this way?

Edit: File content is exactly the same as before. Can you please upload the corrected version or send a new link? Thank you!

Last edited:
Here are the details:

Video switch
------------
The motherboard has inputs for two video sources that can be switched either automatically by software or manually with a switch.
The selected video source is passed to the VGA connector CN480.

J490 (video input switch)

The video source is selected with a jumper.

1-2 Automatic (CN490 or CN491, controlled by software)
2-3 Force Amiga video (the video source connected to CN490)
3-4 Force GFX video (the video source connected to CN491)

SW481 (scandoubler switch)

Toggled up: Scandoubler disabled, passes native 15kHz Amiga video to CN490
Toggled down: Scandoubler enabled, passes scandoubled 31kHz Amiga video to CN490

CN490 pinout (first video input connector)

CN490
--------
Ext R in2 1 | O O | 2 Amiga R in
Ext G in2 3 | O O | 4 Amiga G in
Ext B in2 5 | O O | 6 Amiga B in
GND 7 | O O | 8 GND
Ext VSYNC in2 9 | O O | 10 Amiga VSYNC in
Ext HSYNC in2 11 | O O | 12 Amiga HSYNC in
--------

CN491 pinout (second video input connector)

CN491
--------
Ext R in1 1 | O O | 2 nc
Ext G in1 3 | O O | 4 nc
Ext B in1 5 | O O | 6 nc
GND 7 | O O | 8 GND
Ext VSYNC in1 9 | O O | 10 nc
Ext HSYNC in1 11 | O O | 12 nc
--------

If external video source is not connected to CN490, shunt the CN490 with jumpers to use the Amiga video input as the video source. As shown below.

CN490
--------
Amiga R out 1 | O--O | 2 Amiga R in
Amiga G out 3 | O--O | 4 Amiga G in
Amiga B out 5 | O--O | 6 Amiga B in
GND 7 | O O | 8 GND
Amiga VSYNC out 9 | O--O | 10 Amiga VSYNC in
Amiga HSYNC out 11 | O--O | 12 Amiga HSYNC in
--------

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone can make up some suitable cables for this that’d be ideal!!

Can we use the same switchcontrol (internal version I assume) software as with the Ratte switch? Or is no additional software needed for the auto switch?

Last edited:
Edit: File content is exactly the same as before. Can you please upload the corrected version or send a new link? Thank you!

The zip already has correct files. Check the date of the .png files. If they are dated 19.07.2019, you already have the updated version.

The zip already has correct files. Check the date of the .png files. If they are dated 19.07.2019, you already have the updated version.

Ah, thanks for clarification @hese. In this case, I've already had the recent files.

Can we use the same switchcontrol (internal version I assume) software as with the Ratte switch? Or is no additional software needed for the auto switch?
I'd assume the first variant. There's no way for the switch to know just from the state of the video inputs which one is the "active" one. That's because in RTG mode, both the Amiga and the video card are always presenting some kind of valid video mode. Thus, a more intelligent solution is necessary.
It's fair to assume that switchcontrol will work just because it's a proven solution. Why should hese reinvent the wheel at this point?

Agree, makes most sense to reuse it, but I have never explicitly seen it being stated you can indeed use ratte switchcontrol.

Agree, makes most sense to reuse it, but I have never explicitly seen it being stated you can indeed use ratte switchcontrol.

@timmie, @torsti76

Not sure if this is helpful or not but I did ask HESE a question about the video headers and I received the following answer.

I noticed on the motherboard there is a 12 pin header socket near the RGB output next to all the blue jumpers, What is this header for ?

There are two 12-pin headers next to the RGB output connector. Those are video input connectors, the signals from those connectors are routed to the VGA output connector. First connector is for either the internal scandoubler/flicker fixer or external scandoubler/flicker fixer and the second connector is for graphics card. J490 toggles which video signals are routed to the VGA connector (only scandoubler/flicker fixer signals, only graphics card signals or either one automatically with a help of the Ratte monitor switch software).

[SUB]
[/SUB]

Back
Top Bottom