AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
buckinghamshire
I need a new 5 1/4 floppy drive motor for my spare 1541. opened mine up and the magnet has gone brittle and split.

I have a working 1541 going spare. It's the bare drive - I have cables if you need / want them but no box or instructions. Not looking to part it out but I'm happy to sell it as a complete unit. I can re-test it (it's been sat for a few months) and send photos over later if you're interested. From memory the drive works fine but has some battle scars (scratches on the label and some cable burns on the bottom side).

FYI, I'm based in Berkshire - you'd be welcome to collect rather than post it (I'm thinking cost and risk of damage). Also happy to discuss swaps depending on what you have. Currently mostly looking at 8 / 16-bit consoles and trying to find a half decent A1200 (don't care about cosmetics as I have a new case and keycaps 'on order' from the latest indiegogo). I already have a bunch of 8-bit Commodore stuff (2 VIC 20s, 3 C64s, 1 C16), 2 A500s and 2 Speccies but surprise me - I may be tempted!

its just the 5 1/4 part i am interested in as my case/power supply/ controller are all ok. i have 3 1200's and might be willing to part with 1 , depends what you are offering!! just the 1200 or power pack as well?

I believe I have a NOS motor here for a 1541, however I think that there are several different drive mechanisms, so does your motor have a particular model number on it? Not sure if they all use the same type.

Yep, that's the one I have here - we can figure out the details in PM.

Did you measure the resistance btw? As stated on the label, you should be able to measure ~33 ohms on all four phases.

The connector has these pins:
1 Red
2 Red
3 Yellow
4 Orange
5 Black
6 Brown

The 4 pairs you need to measure are those:
1<->3
1<->4
2<->5
2<->6

If you measure ~33 ohms on all four pairs, then the motor is working electrically (although it could still be seized due to rust/dirt etc., but you should be able to feel this by turning it manually).

Back
Top Bottom