Sold Really Nice Condition VIC-20 Paper Label (PAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Berkshire
Sold to TheMightyMadman. Payment received. Posted.

Hi folks,

I recently picked up another VIC-20 that's in really nice condition. It's an early paper label (9V) machine and as a nice bonus it is 'fully socketed' - the CPU, VIC, VIAs and ROMs are all socketed. The VIC is the early 6561E release, not the later 101 even though it's not the ceramic version. The video output is really nice (by PAL composite standards) with less fringing than my CR VIC 20 has. The case is in really nice condition with only very mild yellowing that is even across the case. There is a really small 'pock mark' on the back of the case - see the photo. The paper labels are in fairly good condition but have some minor marks - see photos. All 6 case hooks are intact and none of the screw holes, etc are damaged as far as I can see.

It was rather dirty when I got it, especially the keyboard, and some of the keys were not responding very well so, as well as cleaning the machine itself, I also disassembled the keyboard and have cleaned the frame, key caps, springs, plungers and keyboard PCB. There was some mild corrosion on a few of the springs so they were cleaned in vinegar and then rinsed off. The keyboard PCB and plungers were cleaned with IPA and a cloth - no sanding - and they are all working fine now. However I do not solder (I used to own an iron, can't find it anywhere) so the shift lock key is not wired into the board and the leads were cut rather than desoldered to allow full disassembly. The shift lock key was working before disassembly and cleaning so it should just need re-soldering (does anyone use the shift lock key for anything other than to say "ooh, a nice latching switch" ?).

It has not been retrobrited or recapped, just cleaned and tested. I mostly tested it with my Penultimate+ cart but also tested loading from disk (SD2IEC) and tape (I don't own any VIC 20 tapes but the motor controls work and it will recognise and attempt to load a C64 program on tape).

Pictures below, all taken in daylight with my camera rather than my phone for better colour accuracy. YMMV depending on your screen, etc but to me it looks like an accurate colour.

Asking £35 excluding postage and paypal fees. This is for the machine only, no cables, no PSU, no box.

Externals:

DSC01194.jpg DSC01195.jpg DSC01196.jpg DSC01197.jpg DSC01193.jpg

Internals:

DSC01181.jpg DSC01186.jpg DSC01192.JPG DSC01191.JPG DSC01190.JPG

I will include the cardboard shielding separately if you'd like it. I still have it, I just don't put them back as these things run hot enough without sealing them in!

Last edited:
Labels:

DSC01216.JPG DSC01217.jpg

Screenshots:

DSC01210.jpg DSC01212.jpg DSC01213.jpg DSC01214.jpg DSC01198.jpg

Snipped shift lock key:

DSC01183.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As an FYI I don't have an original PSU but I tested using a modern 9V DC 3A PSU (Mean Well GST36B09-P1J) and one of cool novelties' 3D printed VIC-20 cables:

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnov...u-2-pin-to-2-1mm-dc-socket-adapter-cable.html

And you can get replica labels here on Amibay if you're seeking perfection:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?82379-VIC20-VC20-replica-paper-label-case-badges

Video cable wise I tend to use Retro Computer Shack:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250811214485

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom