Sold 1541 - rough looking but working (50Hz / 220V / EU / UK version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Berkshire
Sold to madk71. Payment received, will post today.

Hello again folks,

I have a rough looking 1541 for sale:

• The outer case has various scratches and marks plus some cable burns / melts on the bottom
  • The label is scratched
  • The holder is missing / broken for the power LED (I'll see if I can find a replacement)
  • It has a cut track and bodge wire inside

...but it was working SEE BELOW, now free as it doesn't want to stay working

It's the earlier latch (alps) drive.

Full disclaimer: I picked this up back in December. It wasn't working and needed the head cleaning and the moving parts lubing. It was then working fine but not frequently used. I tested it again last night and it was having issues loading. So I cleaned the head again and issued the disk change / reset command (open 15,8,15 ... print#15"I:" ... close 15) and listened to it machine gun itself (finding track 0) and now it's working again. I think this is my own fault as I was running through some old used disks to see what's on them and the head was quite dirty when I cleaned it (IPA + ear bud / Q tip clean). After cleaning it I've only tested new disks - games including Hessian, Pains n Aches, Steel Ranger, Aviator Arcade II. I played Hessian for 3 or 4 hours last night without issue (for those that don't know it frequently loads from disk as you move from room to room - it's also an awesome game if you're wondering). Hessian uses a fast loader so it wasn't loading at the standard snail speed.

Full disclaimer 2: Happened again when I pulled it out of storage (off a shelf) to test again, hence, new price free, see below.

Exterior:
DSC01220.jpg DSC01221.jpg DSC01223.jpg DSC01222.jpg DSC01219.JPG

(Interior shots coming soon...)

Was £30, then £25, now FREE, because every time I take it back out of storage it refuses to read disks until I've messed with it. Just pay postage.

Last edited:
Internal shot showing main PCB:

IMG_20190702_164403708.jpg

Close-up of the cut trace and bodge wire (actually a resistor):

IMG_20190702_164436787.jpg

(also needs a bit of a clean!)

My 1541 diag cart is here so I'm off to check the RPMs and the alignment...

Further disassembly shows bodge wires underneath the board too:

IMG_20190702_210735166.jpg

Testing shows a good RPM (after tweaking) - no more than +/- .6 away from 300 RPM:

IMG_20190703_012121317.jpg

And reliable reading - though the 4th column (between track percent) appears to be a random number generator (both between runs and disks):

IMG_20190703_012040387.jpg

Note that I do not have an official alignment disk - I'm just testing using the disks I have to hand. If I format a disk the 4th column numbers get better but that's cheating (very easy to show really good alignment on a disk you formatted in the same drive).

Last edited:
Open to offers

(Also, I have a 1571 to list soon but that's the opposite of this one - looks lovely but needs a new head or a magic spell to get the top head applying the correct pressure again)

I've never had any issues using appliances imported from the UK over here with just a schuko adapter. As far as i know anything designed for use in Europe follows the 230V (+/-6%) standard so it can accept a mains voltage between 220V and 240V. According to my UPS, the mains voltage fluctuates between ~227V and ~233V at the wall socket in different parts of the day.

Last edited:
It has it's own transformer, no issue with 220 or 240 and practically speaking either way the actual voltage will be the same now. Happy to ship wherever, don't know costs off the top my head but pm me and I'll check.

240v devices have less wear at modern day 230v over 220v devices, therefore are more desirable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom