For Sale SaRuMan - 64k static RAM for DRAM replacement board

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
A replacement board for the 2 DRAM chips on C64 and C64c boards 250466 and 250469 is now available.

This little board replaces the two 64k x 4 bits DRAM ICs with a single static RAM IC. Accordingly it consumes only a trickle amount of power, about 5mA. It also acts as a VSP bug fixer.

The product's name is SaRuMan-64 and it costs 13.25$US or 12 Euros.
Get 20% off when you order 5, 25% off when you order 10 or more. Distributor pricing on 25 units or more.

Shipping cost is the same as with PLAnkton; shipping a small packet (up to 12 units) to the US is 8$. Shipping cost for Europe, Australia and South America is 10$US or 8 Euros.

The product is strictly shipped with antistatic protective packaging. It is covered by a 90 days money back guarantee and a 3 year replacement guarantee afterwards.

bXlwFpr.jpg
SaRuMan-64_HDR.jpg
What you'll receive.

More than 200 units sold!

Added:
Ray Carlsen has created a guide on how to install SaRuMan-64 on C64 boards with 8 DRAM ICs. http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/c64/EASY_RAM_REPLACEMENT/
and
How to install SaRuMan-64 on the Plus/4. http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/plus4/EASY_RAM_REPLACEMENTS/

In the SX-64: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/sx64/EASY_RAM_REPLACEMENT

Edit: sztojanov has withdrawn interest.

Last edited:
Looks quite similar to my design. I decided to go with easier to solder IC cases for DIY kits.

PwTAV2m.jpg

Last edited:
Looks quite similar to my design. I decided to go with easier to solder IC cases for DIY kits.
https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?106896-SRAM-for-C64
I had already announced I was going to release this board here (see post #8 ): https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?106776-New-type-of-C128-VDC-64k-expansion

Posted June 27th. I could not predict somebody would come up with a product which is functionally the same 2 days later. I also announced on June 27 the price would be 15 Euros.

Last edited:
I'm not accusing of copying. That is a logical form of a PCB if you want to minimize the size.
One big point of using these is the fix for the VSP bug. One of my units now pass the VSP LAB test.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you route the address and data lines to their dedicated pins?
I activated pin swap for latch inputs, SRAM address and SRAM data. This allowed me to mix the signals and make a cleaner layout.

You can freely mix the address lines together and data lines together and it works the same :)

One big point of using these is the fix for the VSP bug. One of my units now pass the VSP LAB test.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you route the address and data lines to their dedicated pins?
I activated pin swap for latch inputs, SRAM address and SRAM data. This allowed me to mix the signals and make a cleaner layout.

You can freely mix the address lines together and data lines together and it works the same :)
I see the fix to the VSP bug as a bonus side effect. DRAM is getting difficult to get (although supposedly Abra Electronics has thousands of units in stock) and consumes lots of power.

I did not mix the address lines and data lines because this board can be used in other products where you can effectively replace a portion of RAM with an EPROM. Considering it is a very tedious exercice to rearrange data in a binary file to compensate for mixed data and address lines, I left them in the correct order. This specific version of SaRuMan (there are 3) does not need pins 1 and 18 for the DRAM IC on the left and only pin 18 for the one on the right because all 4 of them are ground connections and very difficult to desolder.

The design for SaRuMan uses TSSOP package for all ICs so and no ICs are above DIP pin contacts which allows it to be installed UNDER the C64/64c mainboard if so desired. This, of course, requires removing the metal shield but in my case, that's no problem as I have removed them all and used nickel paint inside the case as shielding instead.

Last edited:
Almost the same
ydIfD98.png

Attachments

• lzMEArB.jpg
    lzMEArB.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
@Plazma
I note your schematics uses the 74AHCT1G32 which is too fast for a slow filtered signal like CASRAM is on many C64 boards including the 250466. Your product will crash on these boards. The static RAM you use is also too fast for the slow signals used in Commodore 8 bit computers.

I tried to post changes to my previous post and the forum software systematically erases them.

... finally got it...

Added:
The design for SaRuMan uses TSSOP package for all ICs so and no ICs are above DIP pin contacts which allows it to be installed UNDER the C64/64c mainboard if so desired. This, of course, requires removing the metal shield but in my case, that's no problem as I have removed them all and used nickel paint inside the case as shielding instead.

vK6okXq.jpg

Last edited:
SaRuMan-64 is now shipping!

Get a 10% discount on up to 3 PLAnktons if you order them at the same time.

Ray Carlsen has used on of my modules to replace all 8 DRAM ICs on an older board 250407.

P1010180.JPG

The 8 DRAM chips needed about 240mA of power in all. The single module now uses less than 5mA.

Last edited:
Ray Carlsen has used on of my modules to replace all 8 DRAM ICs on an older board 250407.

The 8 DRAM chips needed about 240mA of power in all. The single module now uses less than 5mA.

Interesting. I have two 250407 breadbins needing a ram replacement. Is it possible to have a schematic of all the connections?
This custom configuration was done by Ray Carlsen so I suggest you contact him.

However, it's clear this arrangement was done simply by comparing the pinout of 41464 DRAMs vs 4164 DRAMs used on board 250407 and earlier. Anyone with a bit of knowledge in electronics should be able to do it easily.

Interest Queue

Back
Top Bottom