Blogger
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Country
Italy
Region
SS
Hi there!
I have a Subway USB Controller that suddenly stopped working.

Since I switched from OS 3.9 to OS 3.1.4 I thought that it was due to some incompatibility but unfortunately now I'm pretty sure that it is broken.
I tried the Subway on a new OS 3.1 installation without success and, above all, I found out that the PSU of my A1200 Tower is having troubles (the power led sometimes flashes intermittently, the computer restarts, I get Guru messages, etc...). I've now replaced the PSU and the system seems much more stable but the Subway still doesn't work.
The error message in Poseidon is always a "failure to start subway.device". I have done my tests with a Viper MK2 40 MHz so the subway should work http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/subway.

IMG_20190718_111259.jpg IMG_20190718_111321.jpg

I'd prefer to ship this within Italy in order to save on shipping costs but being a quite "rare" piece of hardware I think that it would be very useful if the repairer already had one of this card in working order, so, please, contact me if you think you can fix this card so that we can discuss about costs.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hi There!
I haven't received any help offer so I did some more tests and... there is still hope! :)
As you can see from the pictures, after various attempts. anaiis was able to see the card so something is still working.

Subway_USB_6.jpg Subway_USB_8.jpg Subway_USB_12.jpg

I tried to plug a usb keyboard but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be "seen" by the system.
There are several possible reasons for that, maybe I connected wrongly the USB 5 pins cable with the usb ports to the subway.

Subway_USB_1.jpg Subway_USB_2.jpg

Or/and the cable that connects the subway to the clockport is damaged. Actually I'm sure that there is something wrong with it because, after unplugging/re-plugging it to the clockport the system doesn't start or the card isn't shown in anaiis. Also, anaiis "state" on the Hardware tab has been either "2" or "1" or "0" (which one is the correct state???).

Not finding any more clues, I tried the subway on another A1200 where I installed Poseidon and, after various attempts, it was able to "start" the card (usually I received the following error: "20-poseidon.library: Opening DEVS:USBHardware/subwayusb.device unit 0 failed device/unit failed to open (-1)."):

Subway_USB_13.jpg Subway_USB_14.jpg

However I plugged a USB pendrive know to work with my Amigas and it wasn't "mounted" by the system.
Now, in order to go ahead with the troubleshooting, I need to exclude as a possible failure cause the cable that connects the subway to the clockport.
Is there anyone that can provide me with a new (or used but 100% working) 22 pins cable like the one in the following picture?

Subway_USB_15.jpg

Can someone with a working configuration post a picture of the 5 pins usb cable connected to the their subway?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom