Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring CPU card A3640

Country
    Slovenia
    Region:
    Styria
    Feedback
    24 (100%)

You have to set J100 and J104 to EXT when using A3640/3660 (INT setting is for A3630).

Country
    United States
    Region:
    NY
    Feedback
    31 (100%)

Great job Vibros,

The 3000D is such a beauty. Even with the slower ram access with the 040 to the mb, for it's day it was a real barnstormer.

The IDE@ZII looks interesting... I have toyed with the idea of picking up an IDE card for my 3000D, but with IDE hitting the cpu I was concerned that it would impact performance compared to a real controller.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by vibros View Post
    Hello,

now some pictures of the game DOOM on my Amiga, with this A3640. The conversion used is 'ADoom'. The setup of the machine is: Amiga 3000 with OCS, 16mb ram (no burst mode, with my ZIP2SIMM adapter), and this baby, rev. 3.2 and MOD with no wait-state.
    Look on Workbench...

Attachment 149313Attachment 149315Attachment 149314

...and on screen (don't careb about quality of the colors, because ExtraHalfBrite screens are managed not correctly on conversion on JPG pictures)

Attachment 149316Attachment 149317Attachment 149318

in window on workbench (OCS 640x512 16 colors) it gives about 5 frames/sec; on a own screen (ExtraHalfBrite 320x200) the frames rate can be varie from 7 to 16; it is very playable and smoothly on all situations (by the way, i have launched this game just to test this A3640, then i have played more then one hour!).
    So now i wish just to add this: the charge of the WAD file (Plutonia, in this case) by the ADoom conversion, has taken many minutes (more then ten) with the scsi disk on the on board scsi chain (this disk is not old, old, old; because it is 2GB in size and SysInfo gives a transfer rate of about 2.3 Mb/sec) and, after that, during play, every call to the Harddisk gives a stop on the flow of the action, even with this A3640...now, with my IDE card and a 70GB disk (pictured on the thread of my IDE@ZII), the charge takes few seconds (less then ten) and during action, the charge from the HardDisk is not noticeable! Believe in me!

Cheers
    Last edited by matt3k; 31st December 2019 at 16:47.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    108 (100%)

Hello,

first of all sorry for my very bad english language!

About my IDE card, and the question of the cpu usage, look at the program diskspeed on AMINET; the IDE cards are not all the same and a good test, explained on this program, is about how much time, under WorkBench (= common usage) the system steals the cpu time; expecially then AmigaDOS scroll a list of files inside a directory. As already said on this thread, when scsi.device of Amiga3000D take about 2 minutes to load big files of this game, an IDE disk (even if it is old, like PIO 0), take a dozen of seconds to do the same job, on my IDE card.
    So, in other words, just because the FastATA, that is very fast on Read/Write with modern disks, is not so fast during common usage (like as said, to list the content of a directory, with many files), my IDE card can be a good option for your need. Tell me. If you are not satisfied i will refund you...then, if you are tempted...

Quote Originally Posted by matt3k View Post
    Great job Vibros,

The 3000D is such a beauty. Even with the slower ram access with the 040 to the mb, for it's day it was a real barnstormer.

The IDE@ZII looks interesting... I have toyed with the idea of picking up an IDE card for my 3000D, but with IDE hitting the cpu I was concerned that it would impact performance compared to a real controller.

Matt
    Last edited by vibros; 4th January 2020 at 10:53.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    108 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibros View Post
    Hello,

know someone of you if there is differences between the A3000D motherboard and the A4000D motherboard, by the point of view of this MOD on this cpu card?

I have read that motherboards clocked twice need extra modifications about this mod, but i have no idea if this is the case about A3000D and A4000D motherboards.

The new owner of this card reach just a dark grey screen on his A4000D (where an A3630 work correctly), and obviously, i have not taken in consideration troubles, just because, as you can see on this thread, all was fine pratically at first shoot, on my A3000D.

Any help and advise is more then appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Hello,

the question is still opened! Has someone, this card with this MOD (that involve the reprogramming of about four cpld), in working order on his A4000?

Thanks in advance

Country
    Hong Kong
    Region:
    Hong Kong
    Feedback

Bump...this card is sitting idle. Anyone know how to undo the A3000 specific fixes to make it work in an A4000 again?

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    QLD
    Feedback
    10 (100%)

What fixes were done to the card exactly?

I'm only aware of mods to upgrade the GALs to 3.2, and the mod to reduce the memory wait states (which can be done by changing a lot of GALs, and the other involves cutting tracks).

I haven't heard of any mods that are specific to A3000 that breaks usage on the A4000.

If the card works in a 3000, it should do so on a 4000 as long as the main board jumpers are set correctly.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Region:
    Hong Kong
    Feedback

I have absolutely no idea. I purchased the card as an "end-user" as it was working, assuming it was on an 4000. Now it's just a "20 year old PCB that doesn't work"...

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Bavaria
    Feedback
    181 (100%)

Are You sure its the A3640? Maybe its Your A3k or cpu socket that isn't working, do you have any cance to test it?
    8 Bit Dreams - computer & hardware repair in Germany

Country
    Hong Kong
    Region:
    Hong Kong
    Feedback

It's my A4000/030EC....run's fine with the existing 68030 card.
    No one available with another Amiga to test

I could buy another 040 CPU from eBay, but then that is expensive troubleshooting...

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    108 (100%)

Hello,

BOOtBlOck, you can return the card to me, i will send a PM.
    Anyway, the reason of this last posts was to collect more infos from users that have done this MOD (upgrade to rev 3.2 and no-wait-states, without any cut of track), to understand some things.

Regards
    Stefano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12