Amiga 4000 with Picasso IV - issue loading Games

johntayloruk

Country
United Kingdom
Region
West Yorkshire
hi all, hoping someone can help me with a problem I’m having launching games with my Amiga 4000.

Things work fine with the standard video output on my 1942 monitor, but recently upgraded and installed a Picasso IV graphics card. I installed picasso96, all installed ok and that’s where I’m running into problems.

I connect the picasso IV vga output to an lcd monitor. I’ve tried 2 and had the same results.

1. I can’t get a resolution over 800x600, I’ve tried picasso96 Mode and the standard workbench display to but having no joy. The overscan tool also doesn’t seem to work and I get a black screen.

2. I load into WB (800x600) without a problem, but when I try to lunch a game or applocatiknthe screen just goes black. I’ve tried with the Picasso IV and normal video output on 2 monitors and the output displays on the non vga monitor.

I’m running WB 3.1.4
any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Sorry to ask, do you have the flickerfixer as well?

HI,

Just wondering if you have gone into the prefs and set up the picasso96mode? You need to right click and then attach the PiV board to the settings. You can then test different screen modes.

J

Hi T.J Kirk - the picasso IV has an integrated flicker fixer doesn’t it?

johnnybarker - yes I’ve assigned the settings in the picasso96mode options. I’ve also run a test which displayed all the colours etc on screen, it’s only when I try to launch a game that it does it :(

037d2e65-798d-4e5b-a4b6-6344daf48df4.jpgThe FlickerFixer is a small card normally connected to the main card - it can also be connected with two small ribbons.

The flicker fixer was removable in case you wanted to fit it in an a2000 as the video slot is not in line. If you have an edge connector going the whole way along the card then it is still attached. It does sound like problem 2 may be related to a missing or dodgy flicker fixer. The flicker fixer does not require the PIV drivers and should basically work out of the box. You could test by seeing if you can access the early startup menu or by removing your hard drive and seeing if you can get a kickstart screen.

If you can't display graphics above 800x600 then it may be worth tinkering with the settings in the p96modes. It may be trying to display at a frequency too low for your monitor at higher resolutions.

hi all, hoping someone can help me with a problem I’m having launching games with my Amiga 4000.

Things work fine with the standard video output on my 1942 monitor, but recently upgraded and installed a Picasso IV graphics card. I installed picasso96, all installed ok and that’s where I’m running into problems.

I connect the picasso IV vga output to an lcd monitor. I’ve tried 2 and had the same results.

1. I can’t get a resolution over 800x600, I’ve tried picasso96 Mode and the standard workbench display to but having no joy. The overscan tool also doesn’t seem to work and I get a black screen.

2. I load into WB (800x600) without a problem, but when I try to lunch a game or applocatiknthe screen just goes black. I’ve tried with the Picasso IV and normal video output on 2 monitors and the output displays on the non vga monitor.

I’m running WB 3.1.4
any help would be appreciated!

Did you get any further with this? I'm having the same issue. I haven't used my A4000 for a couple of years and come back to it with a bit of rebuild.
I'm using my original WB 3.1 setup upgraded to 3.1.4.
Modes saved to card, it happens when running games and if I run applications such as Sysinfo - found the colours drop and it ends up over the the left hand side of the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom