My Amiga500 Desktop-Case project.

Brostenen

Country
Denmark
Region
Northern Jutland
Hi all.
I want to share two pictures of my 500-Desktop project, as the project have progressed as of now. Except for the keyboard hookup, then it is a fully functioning 500, just inside an old 1994 PC desktop case. The power to the systemboard is likewise internal.

Just a quick note. This is the first time in my life that I have ever embarged on such a project, and it is the first time that I have ever cut anything with a dremel cutter. So bear with me, if the finish is not quite the best. The board is sitting on it's original RF shield, and I did give it an onboard ChipMem upgrade. Memory is at this stage only 1mb.

I have one question...
What Amiga model, does my case look like the most? To me it looks like a bunch of Commodore models, came together and made a child.

Like they say... Pic's or it did not happen. :D (did I do well?)

500D-01.jpg500D-02.jpg

As I mentioned. Then I need to sort out the missing keyboard issue. Then add the following stuff:

- Internal IDE interface.
- 8mb FastRam.
- Scandoubler.
- DF0/DF1 boot selector.
- Kickstart switcher.

The goal (for me personally) is to have a unique Desktop Amiga, designwise, that have a compatibility close to 500/OCS.
Just with a bunch of features on top.

Hi it looks made for it

You got pics of inside too

Yup... I had to do some custom mounting points and cut the RF shield. Then have the board lifted up, using a piece of cardboard and using some epoxy to secure the mounting points. The result is a board, that are mounted, using the holes that are on the board.

I will keep the pictures for now, as I need to use them for my blog. I will however post a couple of youtube vid's that I made. They are short and are only meant as quick demonstration vids, so they are not public on youtube.

https://youtu.be/c2ykj5DoI-o
https://youtu.be/6r2jwwg88yY

Hope you like them.

Last edited:
Well done!
And the case is very Amiga stile :)

Thanks... I am happy with the case. I have another desktop case, that are an old IBM case. Also 486 era. It is one that have this sliding door. I chose the Unisys case, because it looks way better than the IBM, and because the IBM have no space under the PSU.

- - - Updated - - -

Really cool build. There are some nice and modern solutions for the keyboard, such as this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/133011221515

Keep us informed of your progress!

I will.... Yes. I have seen those adaptors. Yet I think an USB adaptor are a way better choice. As far as I can see, then I can have an original 500 keyboard attached as well. So I have begun to build my own standalone keyboard today. I have taken an old AT class keyboard that are of those membrane types, and gutted it. Don't worry, it was dead anyway. And I am slowly removing the correct amount of material on order to be able to fit a 500 keyboard inside it. The worst part will be to create a custom top-plate for the keyboard. You know. Cutting out the correct openings for the keycaps and then glue it firmly in place and finally create a paseable surface finish.

I think you are going down a very complicated job with the keyboard. Why don’t you find a big box Amiga keyboard (even deffective because your A500 keyboard will perfectly fit in it) and work out a neat connection between it and the case?

Thanks. :)
Yup... I bought it as a defect machine, some 3 years ago. The motherboard was all dead and they are just too darn expensive when they finally show up on eBay or other places. (If they show up at all) At least I get CPU, Memory, 1 GigaByet SCSI harddrive and SCSI CD-Rom drive out of it. The case just screamed Amiga to me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are going down a very complicated job with the keyboard. Why don’t you find a big box Amiga keyboard (even deffective because your A500 keyboard will perfectly fit in it) and work out a neat connection between it and the case?

Making keyboard, making keyboard. It's not a cat, nor it's a hat...... :-D

Fun aside.... There is nothing a sharp box cutter cant not do, with old soft ABS plastic. :p The wires need to be rerouted or the keyboard-shell need to have a bit more material removed. Yet this is the progress so far. Biggest issue is time, because it takes two days to remove all this, because it need to be fitted perfectly.

I did consider an old Dell membrane keyboard, yet this was an Keytronic membrane IBM ripoff. And yes, membranes, ohh the horror. (At least it was dead)
Next step is to make a better fit for the wires, glue in some brass standoff's so I can close it with 2 or 3 screws and finally make a new plate to hide the PCB and the plack plate. When done, I need to fix it with some filler and do a paintjob. Surface need to be flush.

Make-Keyboard-01.jpgMake-Keyboard-02.jpgMake-Keyboard-03.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Very tastefully done. Now all you need is a logo sticker...

Yup... I will go for a custom one, if I can find some place that allow me to design my own. :)

I’m very impressed with your determination.
It definitely comes from a vision you have, and I see which one now. Good job!

I’m very impressed with your determination.
It definitely comes from a vision you have, and I see which one now. Good job!

The vision that I have been building from, is to have a convertion that not many show off (most are towers). And to have something that are designwise in the spirit of both Amiga and late 80's or early 90's. The last part of the vision is to have a total case convertion. Meaning, that I convert an Amiga500 keyboard into a PC keyboard shell as well. Finally, it is kind of the best choice to have a real Amiga500 keyboard, for an Amiga500 anyway. Modern keyboards are not really the same, and personally I hate keyboards with switches. It is that punch that the switches give in tactile feedback, that I simply can not stand. And even worse, is the clicking noises that a real IBM Model-M gives. The two best keyboards that I have ever tried in my life, are Mitsumi Amiga500 keyboards and Commodore64 keyboards. I just love these keyboards with springs that are not switches. Yes they are as far as I know membrane, yet they are not rubber dome. It is the spring that for me makes a good keyboard. Like I have a couple of PC keyboards that have springs. And they are heavy as well, because they have this metal plate inside. Let people keep their Model-M's or modern mechanical keyboards. They are not for me.

As much as I think that this is a great project. I don’t think I would consider a 7200rpm drive silent. Go for a CF!

As much as I think that this is a great project. I don’t think I would consider a 7200rpm drive silent. Go for a CF!

Yeah. A couple of those drives had spinning noises. Yet the one I chose are quite low noise. I am having trouble hearing the platters spinning and the head-noise are equally low noise. I am having problems hearing the drive, once it is inside the case. Pretty darn close to silent. However. I did not say that it is noise-less at all, only that it is extremely low noise.

- - - Updated - - -

quite neat! i need to look for some desktop case too :)

Thanks. :)

Yeah... Those cases are quite difficult to get a hold on. I have an old IBM case, yet the PSU is resting at the bottom of the case of that one. However that case, are a prime candidate for an Amiga600 case mod. The biggest issue, is that the IBM case looks too much like a PC and have none of those Amiga design language qualities to it. A good paint job will get rid of most of the IBM'ish look.

But as for now i have plans to towerize one of my A600.
Few weeks back bought this AT case (whole PC to be exact for $5, on local flea market), that looks like E-Box 1200 Power Tower, slightly slimmer. :)

Back
Top Bottom