Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Amiga500 Desktop-Case project.

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

Thanks.
    Yup... I bought it as a defect machine, some 3 years ago. The motherboard was all dead and they are just too darn expensive when they finally show up on eBay or other places. (If they show up at all) At least I get CPU, Memory, 1 GigaByet SCSI harddrive and SCSI CD-Rom drive out of it. The case just screamed Amiga to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeim132 View Post
    I think you are going down a very complicated job with the keyboard. Why don’t you find a big box Amiga keyboard (even deffective because your A500 keyboard will perfectly fit in it) and work out a neat connection between it and the case?
    Making keyboard, making keyboard. It's not a cat, nor it's a hat......

Fun aside.... There is nothing a sharp box cutter cant not do, with old soft ABS plastic. The wires need to be rerouted or the keyboard-shell need to have a bit more material removed. Yet this is the progress so far. Biggest issue is time, because it takes two days to remove all this, because it need to be fitted perfectly.

I did consider an old Dell membrane keyboard, yet this was an Keytronic membrane IBM ripoff. And yes, membranes, ohh the horror. (At least it was dead)
    Next step is to make a better fit for the wires, glue in some brass standoff's so I can close it with 2 or 3 screws and finally make a new plate to hide the PCB and the plack plate. When done, I need to fix it with some filler and do a paintjob. Surface need to be flush.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Make-Keyboard-01.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	149228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Make-Keyboard-02.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	149229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Make-Keyboard-03.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	149230

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rcade View Post
    Very tastefully done. Now all you need is a logo sticker...
    Yup... I will go for a custom one, if I can find some place that allow me to design my own.

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Gold Coast
    Feedback
    76 (100%)

Iím very impressed with your determination.
    It definitely comes from a vision you have, and I see which one now. Good job!
    A600HD, A1200 in "home made" tower, A4000T in progress...

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeim132 View Post
    I’m very impressed with your determination.
    It definitely comes from a vision you have, and I see which one now. Good job!
    The vision that I have been building from, is to have a convertion that not many show off (most are towers). And to have something that are designwise in the spirit of both Amiga and late 80's or early 90's. The last part of the vision is to have a total case convertion. Meaning, that I convert an Amiga500 keyboard into a PC keyboard shell as well. Finally, it is kind of the best choice to have a real Amiga500 keyboard, for an Amiga500 anyway. Modern keyboards are not really the same, and personally I hate keyboards with switches. It is that punch that the switches give in tactile feedback, that I simply can not stand. And even worse, is the clicking noises that a real IBM Model-M gives. The two best keyboards that I have ever tried in my life, are Mitsumi Amiga500 keyboards and Commodore64 keyboards. I just love these keyboards with springs that are not switches. Yes they are as far as I know membrane, yet they are not rubber dome. It is the spring that for me makes a good keyboard. Like I have a couple of PC keyboards that have springs. And they are heavy as well, because they have this metal plate inside. Let people keep their Model-M's or modern mechanical keyboards. They are not for me.

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Maitland, NSW
    Feedback
    124 (100%)

That's a great project you've got, I like your choice of case
    Ash

A1200 ACA1221, A600 ACA620/Vampire II Black, A500 ACA500+ and Vampire, C64 Reloaded - some always work in progress, i.e. not in their casing!

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by voyager_1701e View Post
    That's a great project you've got, I like your choice of case
    Thanks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12