Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Amiga500 Desktop-Case project.

Country
    Sweden
    Region:
    -
    Feedback
    47 (100%)

Cool project! I "towerized" my A1200 with a Blizzard 1230-IV@60Mhz around 1997. I used an InWin A500 ATX case which was just perfect. I later built my first PC with the exact same type of case.

The board was rotated with all the ports facing upwards and the PCMCIA slot facing the back plate where it was accessible. I had to make extension cables for all the ports to PCI plates with pre-made D-SUB holes.

It was a really fun project!
    A1200 | WB3.1 | 4Gb CF | ACA1233n/40+FPU | PCMCIA wifi card + C64 (-82 Breadbin) | C1541 | Pi1541

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mariuszk844 View Post
    But as for now i have plans to towerize one of my A600.
    Few weeks back bought this AT case (whole PC to be exact for $5, on local flea market), that looks like E-Box 1200 Power Tower, slightly slimmer.

That is a neat solution you have gotten your hands on. I think towering the 600, poses some other challenges than the 500. You know, because of all them surface mounted components. Yet it can be done and with a nice result if enough work is poured into it. I kind of like the idea you are having.

The IBM desktop case that I have on hand, for a 600 build, is this one that have this sliding door and was sold as a 486 system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anemo View Post
    Cool project! I "towerized" my A1200 with a Blizzard 1230-IV@60Mhz around 1997. I used an InWin A500 ATX case which was just perfect. I later built my first PC with the exact same type of case.

The board was rotated with all the ports facing upwards and the PCMCIA slot facing the back plate where it was accessible. I had to make extension cables for all the ports to PCI plates with pre-made D-SUB holes.

It was a really fun project!
    Nice.... And thanks.
    I remember that it was something a lot of Amiga users did in the late 90's. And why not? Sure a mint condition a1200 are worth a lot of money these days, yet back then it was not considered worth much. So I fully understand that people used to gut their machines and got rid of the original case. Not saying that you threw out the case, only pointing out that this happened to lot of original cases back then. Never regret something, as it was what you thought was right at that time. (Well. In some situations that is). Would have been nice if you had any pictures of that project.

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Leverkusen
    Feedback
    15 (100%)

For an A600 conversion Id look into the Silverstone Milo 2.

You could put a Gotek display behind the window.

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
    For an A600 conversion I’d look into the Silverstone Milo 2.

I have been looking into that case, and it is a fine one of those. Yet the PSU is on the wrong side, and makes it difficult to mount the board. I fear that there is not enough width to the case. That said. If the case is wide enough, and one likes the look of modern design. Then that case is a perfect candidate. There are some nice ventilation going on in that case.

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Leverkusen
    Feedback
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brostenen View Post
    For an A600 conversion Id look into the Silverstone Milo 2.

I have been looking into that case, and it is a fine one of those. Yet the PSU is on the wrong side, and makes it difficult to mount the board. I fear that there is not enough width to the case. That said. If the case is wide enough, and one likes the look of modern design. Then that case is a perfect candidate. There are some nice ventilation going on in that case.
    Been thinking about this .

It could be an option to replace the PSU anyway with a HDPlex one for example. Much smaller and could conveniently placed somewhere else. Requires an ATX-Amiga adapter, though.

Sorry for off-topic will stop to rant now.

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

Been thinking about this .

It could be an option to replace the PSU anyway with a HDPlex one for example. Much smaller and could conveniently placed somewhere else. Requires an ATX-Amiga adapter, though.

Sorry for off-topic will stop to rant now.
    No problem on my behalf. I am always open to talk case convertions, as long as original Amiga cases do not suffer any death, installing switches in original cases and stuff like that is something I have no problem with eighter. As an example, then I bought a loose and spare 500-systemboard for my convertion, and the PC case was an empty one anyway, because the original motherboard had died. However I got some nice spare parts out of that machine. (memory, CPU, Floppy drive and 2gb SCSI harddrive).

Regarding the Silverstone case. Then yes. A different PSU are most likely the way to go in this case with this case... (PUN intended) Personally I would go for a Meanwell instead. If you look at my blog, then I have used the model RT-65b for an 500/600/1200 PSU upgrade. It has a lot of juice in it, and will deliver lots of power for something like a TF-530 upgrade. (V2 or PPC boards I am not so sure about) Then it is only a matter of creating a new backplate for that case, and creating custom standoff's and other mounting points for hardware. Then install both a real Floppy drive and a Gotek drive as DF0, and have a selector switch controlling the power to the drives. That way you can, by selecting what drive powers on, have your own personal "fake" drive selector. Finally install a scandoubler and max out the memory. And finally go for a dual input monitor with VGA and HDMI if you go the Vampire route on the 600.

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

I installed a keyboard connector in my machine... And....

It is done. The basic convertion is done. Sure it need's a keyboard now, and it need's some final touches. Yet the convertion in it's basic form is done. Now that the baby have been "born", is is screaming for upgrades and expantions.

https://to9xct.blogspot.com/2019/08/...0-vintage.html

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

USB Keyboard adaptor and cable are in place.... Just going to post one picture. More to see on the blog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB-Adaptor-11.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	151726

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Northern Jutland
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

And my project is complete now. Installed a scandoubler yesterday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123