Installing problem AmigaOS 4.1

McA4000T

Country
Netherlands
Region
Noord-Holland
After years of not using my A4000T, I wanted to install AmigaOS 4.1 (not the final edition).
I am currently running 3.9 without problems, even when I try my emergency floppy together with the CD, everything works fine.

Now when I startup with the bootfloppy of 4.1 everything seems to work fine, the CD is spinning and it sounds it's beginning to install.
But then the CD stops spinning and nothing else happens, screen stays black. I am using a Picasso IV with RTG.
Now I also connected a 1084S monitor and then I see in the moment the install stops a blue, red, green flash in the screen,
last color remains in the screen and that's were it al ends.

So I hope someone can shine a light on this.
For me it is strange that 3.9 has no problems at all and 4.1 (4.0 has same problem) will not install.

A bit info on my A4000T:
Picasso IV, CSPPC 604/200MHz, Plextor UltraPlex CD-rom (SCSI), kickstart ROM V3.1 (40.70).

Last edited:
A little update:
I tried my CSPPC in a A4000D, which had no other expansions and the problem was exactly the same.

So I guess the problem must be in my CSPPC.
I know my UW-SCSI controller onboard my CSPPC is faulty, but there is nothing connected to it.

Now my question is, is it possible that during the installation the UW-SCSI controller is checked anyway and causes the crash?

What SCSI-card do you usefor The CD? The onboard A4000T SCSI is not supported iirc.
Not all of them are supported in OS4.1...

Have you tried with a CD connected to the internal IDE-port?

The Plextor is SCSI indeed connected to the internal SCSI.
I do not have a IDE CD-ROM player.

So the UW-SCSI controller is indeed checked, may this cause the crash or has it something to do with using the internal SCSI?

The CSPPC UW SCSI is supported by OS4.1 so as you say this might be the issue as it's probably trying to load the module.

Have you tried connecting active terminators to the SCSI? Or can the SCSI not be turned off in the CSPPC boot menu?

Lastly you could try to install OS4.1 in WinUAE and then load up the installed disk on your Amiga?

I checked the boot menu, but you can switch on/off the ID's except 7, which is the controller.
I switched off all the ID's but same result, crash during installation.

I guess my sick CSPPC needs a doctor ...

I checked the boot menu, but you can switch on/off the ID's except 7, which is the controller.
I switched off all the ID's but same result, crash during installation.

I guess my sick CSPPC needs a doctor ...

Maybe you can comment out the module in the SS for 4.1 so it doesn't try to load the SCSI?

I can zip you OS4.1 Classic Ready to run if it helps? (of course I need to see your CD)

Update:

So my sick CSPPC has been to the doctors'.
Seemed that the PPC was no longer working, now it is replaced by a 604e@350MHz.
The UW-SCSI problem was repaired.

So everything should be fine ...
BUT I still can't install AmigaOS 4.0 or 4.1.
Same problem keeps happening, booting with bootfloppy, CD starts spinning and after a while, the Amiga crashes and reboots.
I am still in the dark what causes this problem.

Little hardware update:
Picasso IV, CSPPC 604/350MHz, Plextor UltraPlex CD-rom (SCSI, connected to cybppc.device with 50p/68p-adapter), kickstart ROM V3.1.4 (46.143)
My CSPPC is fitted with 128MB memory, next to that there is 16MB on the motherboard.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

UPDATE2:
Oops, I spoke too soon...
With the sick CSPPC it crashed and rebooted over and over again.
But now the reboot installs the kickstart for AmigaOS4.1 and it boots from the CD.
Finally I can install AmigaOS4.1
:D

Last edited:
Hi,

Did you manage to install os4.1 on your a4kT? I am having a similar problem where I can boot and install os4.1 on my SCSI HD well SCSI2SD. But the issue I have is that after the install and reboot the machine it just hangs on the os4.1fe splash screen.

i can run os4.1 from the CD but not boot from the disk.

any ideas?

Yes I did install it on my A4kT.
In my case the problem was a not working PPC, during the installation the machine reboots to install the ROM-update for OS4 but that requires a PPC, so that's why it crashed.

You are passed that, so only thing I can think of is something is wrong with the configuration or OS4 has a problem with the SCSI2SD device.
So my advice would be try a fresh install and be sure you tick the right boxes during installation and/or try a regular HDD to see if that makes any difference.
You can also check the Kicklayout-A4000T file in the Kickstart directory, maybe you can find any discrepancies in there.

Back
Top Bottom