Full anodised aluminium front bezel for A4000 - Interest poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Time for an update.

The frontpanel design has been adapted by Stoobs (many, many thanks!!) with the following improvements:
- Mounting rods contain a 3mm round hole, with a dept of 5.1 mm
- Cover mounting holes are fitted with M3 thread (dept 3 mm)
- He made also the drive covers, so being from one source the fit should be perfect
- The powerknob has been etched with IO
- The powerknob has an extention on the bottom that will allow mounting of a 7.5 x 7.5mm square rod, which I'm successfully using for my A4000.

The square rod will fit the powerswitch of the Amiga and it will function as normal.

I've ordered enough 3mm diameter, 6mm length magnets (holding strenght = 400g per magnet) to supply everyone. The price per bezel would come to 7 x € 0.26 + shipping € 0.32 (€ 6,50 / 20) = € 2,14
I've ordered also the aluminium square tubes (actually 7,5 x 7,5mm) to supply everyone. The price per piece would come to approx. € 1,- cut to lenght.

So the additional costs would come to ~ € 3,15. If everyone who stated their interest in the front bezels will actually take them, these costs can be covered by the reduced prices as we are over 20 for the front bezels and over 10 for most of the drive covers.

That means: No cost increase :D

Things to investigate:
- See if I can find a source for the metal plates on the inside of the chassis
- See if I can source the M3 bolds for the drive covers

What everyone themselves need to do when the aluminium parts arrive:
- Glue the magnets in place
- If I can source the metal plates: Glue the metal plates on the inside of the chassis
- If no metal plates are included: Source the metal plates and glue them on the inside of the chassis. Or... Go for the Mray option as stated in the post here above (# 117).
- Glue/fix the powerbutton to the square rod. I'm not sure if this will be necessary, as the square rod will be stationary between the powerknob and powerswitch.

That's all for now!

Great progress! I'm so happy that we are so close to a "total" solution. Only need the small metal plates and we are there. But even without that it's now very complete I think. Let's just hope that all who declared interest in the second run will come through. Keep the momentum PRS! :D (y)

With regard to the black anodized colour.
What I understood from the past, that this would mean a different batch and would reduce the tier discount.

Non-anodized would mean that there is also no bead blasting with all the CNC mill markings clearly visible. Again, this would be regarded as a different batch as stated above.

But I will have another go and ask what the price impact would be.

Last edited:
Aldo,
Not sure how you acquired the small metal plates
Cutting metal i assume.
So I started thinking and looking, this is what I
think would help out.
J CLIPS These should be easy to straighten.
There two Makers of these, one is thicker than the other.
One could glue two together for additional strength
not sure that would be necessary. One could stagger glue
two for a greater span, if needed. The Size is 8mmX12mm.
They are inexpensive. This could be part of your total solution

Regards
Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 12.19.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 12.19.11 AM.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 12.19.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 12.19.58 AM.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
With regard to the black anodized colour.
What I understood from the past, that this would mean a different batch and would reduce the tier discount.

Non-anodized would mean that there is also no bead blasting with all the CNC mill markings clearly visible. Again, this would be regarded as a different batch as stated above.

But I will have another go and ask what the price impact would be.

+1 for black!

Aldo,
Not sure how you acquired the small metal plates
Cutting metal i assume.
So I started thinking and looking, this is what I
think would help out.
J CLIPS These should be easy to straighten.
There two Makers of these, one is thicker than the other.
One could glue two together for additional strength
not sure that would be necessary. One could stagger glue
two for a greater span, if needed. The Size is 8mmX12mm.
They are inexpensive. This could be part of your total solution

Regards
Mike

Hi Mray,

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

I see that the price is $ 13,00 per 380 pieces.
One of my ideas was to use € 0.05, so 5 euro cents pieces. Magnets do adhere to them and as I need max 25 x 7 = 175 pieces, this will cost € 8.75
On top of that, a lot of people are coming from Europe, so they have access to the coins directly. Maybe the least valued coins in the US can also be used.. But I have no dollar cents to test.

Last edited:
PRS
The small coins in the US are not magnetic, had to check to be sure.
Also noticed with the 5 cent euro is rather large about 21 cm
Seems to work well in all but one spot. The ON/OFF button.
It would probably interfere with its operation.
Appears to me that the 1 cent euro 16mm is a better fit there
It seems the 1 cent euro would probably be great at all locations

Regards
Mray

Dear all,

As there were some question regarding the shaft of the powerbutton and its connection to the switch, so I have made a picture of how it is in mine A4000:

PowerButtonShaft-Switch.jpg PowerButtonShaft-Opening.jpg PowerButtonShaft-Comparison.jpg

I hope this clarifies the fit to the switch

Attachments

• PowerButtonShaft-Switch.jpg
    PowerButtonShaft-Switch.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi Slaapliedje (your Nick sounds very Dutch),

Thank you for your interest and I will put you on the list. Coming wednesday is the ordering day, I will PM you for further details.

Hi Slaapliedje (your Nick sounds very Dutch),

Thank you for your interest and I will put you on the list. Coming wednesday is the ordering day, I will PM you for further details.
It is indeed Dutch. (Got it from a song, which I believe the literal translation is 'sleeping song' or 'lullaby.'

Hi,
Sorry but due to some unexpected family expenses I've to withdraw my interest. Hopefully it will not affect 2nd batch that much.

Br,
Hal

Hi,
I'm interested in one full set.

Wysłane z mojego ASUS_Z00AD przy użyciu Tapatalka

Last call for everybody who have stated interest in these items.

I will accept all orders and payment until 0:00 PCT (West coast US time) today.
That is 09:00 AM Thursday morning at CET.

If not payed by then, I will regard this as "Withdrawn" and it will not be part of the order!

Ok let’s treat myself, interested in

Front bezel: € 175.39 + € 2.72 (shipping costs from manufacturer to me, divided over 20 people)
Power knob: € 20.39

just want to confirm the power knob includes the shaft to the PSU?

Hi Timtheloon,

Thank you for your interest.

Yes. The powerknow includes the shaft to the PSU (it's a generic aluminium square tube, 7.5 x 7.5mm with wall thickness of 1 mm, cut to length).

Yes. The powerknow includes the shaft to the PSU (it's a generic aluminium square tube, 7.5 x 7.5mm with wall thickness of 1 mm, cut to length).

Thanks for the clarification PM sent requesting payment details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom