Amiga 1000 floppy drive question

gp_guy

Country
USA
Region
Oregon
Hi Group,
A friend of mine gave me an Amiga 1000 and we tested the floppy drive, but it does not work. It is an NTSC machine and when the Amiga boots and gets to the workbench insert screen, nothing happens. There is no mechanical sounds coming from the floppy drive. So, it looks like I need another floppy drive. First, does anyone have a working floppy drive they want to sell?
Second, can I use the floppy disk drive from my Amiga 500? Or, how about my Amiga 1010 external drive? Or my external Supra drive?
I know this is probably a well-trodden path. If I can't find one I suppose I can install a DF0/DF1 switcher and boot the workbench from one of my 1010's. Is there any of those switchers available?
Lot's of questions, I know but I do want to fix it and play with my new Amiga!
Regards,
Rob
Grants Pass, Oregon

You can use any regular Amiga floppy drive like the one from your A500. If that also does not work, you might have a faulty CIA chip on the motherboard or a bad floppy or power cable.

... It is an NTSC machine and when the Amiga boots and gets to the workbench insert screen, nothing happens.

can you be a bit more precise on this? usually the A1000 boots up and asks for a "KICKSTART" disk ... not a Workbench disk.
if your friend is able to sucessfully boot the kickstart-disk and is stuck after that, the basics of the drive and chips are okay and we need to search for another root cause.

There is no mechanical sounds coming from the floppy drive. So, it looks like I need another floppy drive. First, does anyone have a working floppy drive they want to sell?

this may also come from a missing power-supply of the drive or some similar problem...
can you open the machine and have a look inside ? are all cables attached right? is there any obvious problem noticable?
as said by "demolition" a faulty CIA-chip (8250-type) can lead to the problems as well ... but luckily the Amiga has 2 of them installed where only parts of each chip is used..
-> so you can try to swap the two chips (which are located closely to each other) .. this should at least show some effect on the "non clicking" of your floppy-drive.

if you want an original drive you will have to look for "Panasonic / Matsushita JU-363". .. though these are not easy to find.

Second, can I use the floppy disk drive from my Amiga 500? Or, how about my Amiga 1010 external drive? Or my external Supra drive?
I know this is probably a well-trodden path. If I can't find one I suppose I can install a DF0/DF1 switcher and boot the workbench from one of my 1010's. Is there any of those switchers available?

any amiga-drive should work - but the frontplate of the A1000 has a different opening than the A500, so you will have to adjust the eject-button to fit through the hole.
some old A500 used to have Panasonic-drives installed - these are a perfect match in case you want to replace your drive.

you may, of course, use external drives, but as you stated you need a switch to swap DF0/DF1-select-lines.
-> if you want to follow this path, i can give you some links/hints where to find a non-invasive solution for this.

regards,
fook42

Thanks for replying guys!
So, I hooked it up and tried again. The Amiga 1000 starts up and goes directly to a white screen with the "Kickstart" request graphic. Also, the floppy drive is doing it's regular clicking sound while it waits for a disk to be inserted. I put a "Workbench 1.3" disk into the floppy, and the clicking stopped but no progress. Also, the floppy drive light does not come on.
Regards,
Rob

A1000 requires Kickstart (typically KS 1.3 these days) to load from the DF0: drive (internal) prior to the Workbench hand being presented. As this is OS 1.3, Workbench must also be loaded from DF0:. Once Workbench has loaded, DF1: on the external port, should be auto-recognized.

If the A1000 were to have a Kickstart ROM switcher/replacement, the Kickstart load step dissappears (acts like an A500). Fitted with a 2.04 or higher Kickstart, DF1: is then an option for boot with the startup menu (hold both mouse buttons). OS 1.3 didn't have that feature.

Last edited:
hello, I have an amiga 1000 all original with the same problem, the drive is a click click but nothing when you insert the floppy, I try a drive 500 same problem

hello, I have an amiga 1000 all original with the same problem, the drive is a click click but nothing when you insert the floppy, I try a drive 500 same problem

I think it might not have been clear enough from the other post: An A1000 cannot boot directly from a WB disk. The first disk you should load is a Kickstart disk.
The only way an A1000 can boot a WB disk directly (like an A500) is if the A1000 was retrofitted with an updated ROM.

So does the boot screen show a WB or a KS floppy?

Last edited:
if you see this (PLEASE carefully read what is written on the Disk-Image there:)
bild.jpg
you need to insert a KICKSTART-Disk ... other Disks will NOT work and result in a quiet drive (no clicking, nothing) unless you remove the disk from the drive and replace it with a correct Kickstart-Disk.

sorry for repeating myself, but an A1000 is a bit special and you should notice this difference.

if you see this:
wb_bild.jpg
a Workbench (or any other Amiga-Disk - like games, tools, etc) is needed.

Last edited:
Hi All, Hey, thanks for the time and effort, especially from you Fook42! So, I started the machine and the screen with the insert "Kickstart" is present. That's when I mistakenly inserted a "workbench" disk. So, it is user error. Again. I don't have a kickstart disk, but my friend does, so this next weekend I'll be getting it to test the machine.
I am pretty sure that is the disk he used to test the machine and the same issue happened to us at his house. Maybe his kickstart disk is a bad copy, I don't know.
So I have a few plans.
1: use His kickstart and it works. If not...
2: acquire another kickstart (maybe from my Amiga Forever DVD?) Or purchase?
3. try and use the kickstart disk with my Amiga 500 Floppy Drive
4. Buy a DF0/DF1 switcher and boot from my Amiga 1010

I'll update and thank the group when I try my friend's kickstart.

Regards,
Rob
Grants Pass, Oregon

You should be able to DiskCopy a Kickstart disk to a spare floppy with the friend's A500. Do two just for backup purposes.

yes... Floppy-Emulators like GOTEK, HxC or RasPiDrive for example work flawlessly with the A1000.
you will need a cable, of course, that can be connected to the external-floppy-connector.

booting from that drive (especially Kickstart-disks) is not possible without a so called "Boot-Selector".

Back
Top Bottom