Help with Modified Golden Gate 486 SLC

From the data sheet it would appear that the cpu is tolerant to 5.5v.

the chap on that thread who seems very knowledgable about these things seems to believe there is no difference between 3.3v and 5v TI486SXLC cpus - they are all 5v but some are part-binned which can operate ok at 3.3

Last edited:
@blindgerman - you are aware of this cache flushing modification?

I must confess I didn't know that those 486SXLC2 chips came in a 3.3V version. I soldered one onto my Bridgeboard over 20 years ago. It's been running on 5V happily since then, and I even overclocked it to 62MHz. I did put a fairly large heatsink with fan on it as it did get quite warm, even at 50MHz.

Huh, interesting. You just swapped the crystal to overclock it?

I tried an ET4000AX today. Didn’t seem to go too well. It will boot and occasionally get all the way into dos if the soundblaster isn’t also attached, but I get a lot of errors when trying to run things. MI for instance goes to a black screen, doom once got to the menu but then crashed. Maybe there’s a ram error on the card.

so this is a diamond64 and now et4000ax not working (the diamond just did not boot the GG at all - black screen - and is a confirmed fully working card.

My ATI Mach64 works perfectly and is completely stable. Doom for instance will run with midi for hours with zero issue

@Trixter
Yes!
Sent it to Acill.com and he put on my new Ti processor.

This card seems very picky and won't work with an 060, as some other users have experienced.

I will test in an 030 machine and will post results. From what I read the hack seems to be the cache speedup, so we shall see.

@Trixter
Yes!
Sent it to Acill.com and he put on my new Ti processor.

This card seems very picky and won't work with an 060, as some other users have experienced.

I will test in an 030 machine and will post results. From what I read the hack seems to be the cache speedup, so we shall see.

Back when I was using my GG486 with an A4000D/CS-PPC060 I made a launch script to disable the cpu caches so that DIGGER would work and upon exit the caches got enabled again.
Give it a try: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4vsbh1vauye9jrt/GGx86_prg.zip/file

Thank you, I will try it but I think it will not at all work with faster cpus. There was a user on eab that had the same problem. He had to physically remove the 060 card for it to go.

Seems crazy to me, or my card is just bad. Will find out soon....

My GG works fine with my 060 warpengine. As keropi says, you have to disable cpu caches first. You can reenable them when you’ve quit out back to workbench from the bridgeboard.

oddly, when my 3000 was using its stock 030 I had to install mmulibs 030 library and use mmu-configuration in envarc: to cacheinhibit the address range of my Deneb otherwise the machine would routinely lockup when using the bridgeboard. This doesn’t happen with the 060 accelerator board....

My GG works fine with my 060 warpengine. As keropi says, you have to disable cpu caches first. You can reenable them when you’ve quit out back to workbench from the bridgeboard.

oddly, when my 3000 was using its stock 030 I had to install mmulibs 030 library and use mmu-configuration in envarc: to cacheinhibit the address range of my Deneb otherwise the machine would routinely lockup when using the bridgeboard. This doesn’t happen with the 060 accelerator board....

There was a user on eab that couldn't get his GG 486 to work until he put a 030 card in his 4000, even if he disabled caches and so on. My card seems to behave in the same manner he described.

Interesting that you need mmulibs with the 030.

matt3k

Bit of a thread resurrection, but if you've still got your goldengate try it with the 060 warpengine again but this time early boot menu start with no cpu caches and boot with no startup-sequence, then load digger directly from the Goldengate floppy disk (ie bypassing scsi completely). See if that works!

I know the GG is not compatible with the CSMK1 060 mine does not play with it installed but works perfectly fine with my CSMKII

I have a 3000 where the GG used to work fine with a WarpEngine 060. Now it does not (reports a bus 90 error) and I suspect the issue is with the acard 7720uw on the internal scsi. Interestingly it does not work with the onboard 030 either! Previously it was running with a scsi2sd which I no longer have. I am waiting for a scsi2sd to arrive to test this theory.

The GG works perfectly in the same machine with an A3640. It also works perfectly with the WarpEngine if I load the GG from floppy, hence my theory that something in the scsi chain is stopping the WE/GG working together from the harddrive.

so I agree that there may well be some accelerators out there which don’t play with GG, but some reasons for incompatibilities mightn’t be obvious and might be worked around.

Last edited:
trixster Thanks for the idea! I sold it off a while ago. I shipped it to Tristan and he tried to get it working without success. I tried it in a stock 030 machine without caches and no go. Oh well, was going to be a fun tinker project. On to the next! Right now working on my AA3000. We have very similar rigs and have appreciated your experience. Got the Delfina Plus working stable in it, although 3.2 is just a bear. I think I need to install from scratch. I'm very tempted to go back to 3.1 with 3.9 roms for the warp engine 060 and the latest BB for 3.9. That ran very stable.

I’ve just updated my post above to mention that my GG does not work with the 030 either! This adds weight to my scsi-chain theory I think. Something about the A3640 is dragging some timings back into line such that the GG will work with them.

Scsi2sd v6 has arrived and it hasnt fixed the problem. bummer. maybe it's the DMAC-04 i have in this machine that's the issue?

Anyway, I figured that if it works with WE and 030 when run from floppy then maybe it runs from ram as well? Turns out it does. So a script to copy the contents of the GoldenGate directory into ram, to turn off cpu caches and then execute digger from ram:goldengate works a treat. the problem is bypassed.

So if anyone is encountering problems getting a Goldengate to run with a certain accelerator, try running the GG from ram instead. it might bypass the error 90 cold start no bus activity problem.

One more thing.

I got a working ET4000AX recently and swapped out the ATI Mach64.

With Fastdoom I now got better FPS! They went from timedemo demo3 with one level of green border from 14.493fps to 16.262fps!

Back
Top Bottom