jurassicman

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Italy
Region
SS
Hello all,
I need some help in order to install the OS 4.1 Classic since, after days of tries, I'm at a dead point.

I purchased the original OS 4.1 from hyperion and therefore I could ask for help on their website but, before proceeding this way, I would like to hear the opinion of someone more expert than me on this task (which is not difficult since I have never used this OS).

I tried to install the AmigaOS 4.1 on two rather similar A1200(T). Both of them have a Blizzard PPC (obviously), 256 MB of RAM and a 4Xeide adapter. On both systems, on the primary channel of this adapter there is the hard disk (a CF with an ide2cf adapter) and on the secondary channel there's the cd/dvd eide. Both the A1200 are equipped with a RTG card, one of them has a BVision PPC while the other has a Mediator with a Radeon 9250 video card.

The hardware requirements should therefore be met by both machines, however the installation fails on both of them.

By booting from the "standard" floppy disk created using the adf file contained in the iso of the CD, I receive the message "Please insert Volume Amiga OS 4.1 in any drive" (or something similar, I don't have the message in front of me right now ).

To pass this point, I added the "4xeide.driver" file in the floppy and, this way, I managed not to receive the above error. Now the installation proceeds for a little bit, the OS 4.1 kickstart is loaded into the RAM, the RGB output shows screens of various colors and, if I switch to the RTG output, I see the writing "AmigaOS 4.1 Final". Everything seems to proceed correctly but then, on the A1200 with the BVision card, the installation stops, the monitor turns black with a writing that says "no signal" and the installation process doesn't go any further. On the A1200 with Mediator, etc ... the system, after showing the writing "AmigaOS 4.1 Final" restarts and, in practise, it goes in an infinite "loop" doing that all over again...

I've tried many things but I can't go beyond this point. I think the problem is due to the fact that the Operating System "doesn't see" the hard disk (in theory, after the writing "AmigaOS 4.1 Final" I should access the menu for hard disk partitioning) but I don't know how to "show" the hard disk to the Operating System (as long as the problem is this and not something else ...).

Maybe the 4xeide.driver isn't supported? Do I need a particular scsi.device?

I've also tried to install first the OS 3.x with the 4Xeide drivers, and then I started the installation from the CD, but I always get the same result ...

I would really like to be able to sort this problem out... any hints will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

For first install the CD Drive needs to be on the same channel as the HDD, I'm sure this is in the install instructions?

Anyway, hook up your HDD as master and CD as slave on channel one and then it will work.

:)

For first install the CD Drive needs to be on the same channel as the HDD, I'm sure this is in the install instructions?
Anyway, hook up your HDD as master and CD as slave on channel one and then it will work.
:)

Hi Steve, Thanks, I'll try that and I'll let you know how it goes...

Hi Steve... unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. I was able to put both, the CF and the CD on the primary channel on both the computers but I got the same results...

Amigaos4.1_1.jpg Amigaos4.1_2.jpg Amigaos4.1_3.jpg Amigaos4.1_4.jpg
I spent almost all day on this... I feel very frustrated... is there anything else I can try? Any other way to install the OS on my A1200?

Hi you could do the installation via WinUAE instead? Otherwise if you have a regular 4 way buffered IDE device. Once the kickstart is loaded it should continue to boot from the CD. I recommend also using extra cooling on the BPPC during installation as it gets very hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a picture of how you have connected your cables?

Thanks for your reply Steve... winuae isn't a solution since I don't use it not having any Windows systems.
I used a 4Xeide interface on both the computers and I used the eide 40 pin primary channel of the adapter connecting the CF as Master and the CDrom as slave. That way all the 3.x AmigaOS installed on the several CFs I used booted up and that's visible on the first two pictures I attached to my previous message.
For some reason, once the kickstart is loaded the installation hangs on one system and restart on the other. I think that there's something that the OS 4.1 "doesn't like" on the ide2cf adapters I use.
I didn't take any pictures of cables connection, I'm sorry... now I'm quite frustrated and I don't know when I'll try again but the next time I'll take some pictures of the hardware as well.

It certainly seems you are connecting all correctly, I would hazard a guess this 4xEIDE adapter is the culprit. At this stage I would suggest either try with a normal 4WayIDE if you have one or get it touch with Hyperion as there's obviously a bug.

Edit: or try a normal IDE HDD instead of the CF cards.

Last edited:
It certainly seems you are connecting all correctly, I would hazard a guess this 4xEIDE adapter is the culprit. At this stage I would suggest either try with a normal 4WayIDE if you have one or get it touch with Hyperion as there's obviously a bug.

Edit: or try a normal IDE HDD instead of the CF cards.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to do so.

Hello,

I installed OS 4.1FE on my a3000 recently and I used a fastata4000 with IDE to sata adapter and 120gb sandisk SSD. As Steve said it only worked with the CDrom on the same channel. I used the SSD as my compact flash adapter did not work on the same channel as the CDROM. I would definitely try Steve's suggestion of using a normal IDE hard drive or SATA with adapter or possibly a trueIDE from Individual?

Johnny

I think maybe the Compact flash adapter might be using device 0 & 1? So CD isn't seen?

Hi johnnybarker, thanks for sharing your experience. I think that not only the Disk (CF, SSD, hdd) and the CD must be on the same channel but they must also be of a particular (compatible) type. As soon as possible I'll try to install the OS 4.1 in an old hdd using a 44 pin to 2x40 pin cable as suggested by fitzsteve. I'll update this thread with the results in the hope they could help someone else in the future.

Hi johnnybarker, thanks for sharing your experience. I think that not only the Disk (CF, SSD, hdd) and the CD must be on the same channel but they must also be of a particular (compatible) type. As soon as possible I'll try to install the OS 4.1 in an old hdd using a 44 pin to 2x40 pin cable as suggested by fitzsteve. I'll update this thread with the results in the hope they could help someone else in the future.

Good luck :)

Yes, I think you are correct. Thinking about it now I had the same problem with OS 3.9 on the FastATA. I have used a lot of different CF card adapters and and some of them seem to behave slightly differently. I don't know why but I guess it could also depend on the card brand being used. I have started to use the SD card adapters more often as I have encountered less problems with drive compatibility and corruption.

Yes, I think you are correct. Thinking about it now I had the same problem with OS 3.9 on the FastATA. I have used a lot of different CF card adapters and and some of them seem to behave slightly differently. I don't know why but I guess it could also depend on the card brand being used. I have started to use the SD card adapters more often as I have encountered less problems with drive compatibility and corruption.

Hi there, I ordered the cable with two 44 pins output and I'll keep in mind your advice about the SD cards. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom