Amiga 1200 motherboard dark Grey screen..

britlord

Country
usa
Region
Michigan
Guys, is there anyone here that can take a look and my recapped motherboard... I have checked all the caps and see no problem with them. But All I get is a back screen. some of the chips on the board do get warm and fitting a Accelerator card don't help.. Still a black screen, or should I say a dark grey screen. You see, I never did test the board before I did the recap. I am willing to ship it and pay to see if it can be repaired.. (Only one this one board)..

Thanks..

Last edited:
I did test the board with another kickstart rom. Still the same problem. But I have ordered the diagnostic eprom.. I think that since the board is at least 25 Years old. Some of the components will start to fail, or the solder joints break down eh??..

Last edited:
I did test the board with another kickstart rom. Still the same problem. But I have ordered the diagnostic eprom.. I think that since the board is at least 25 Years old. Some of the components will start to fail, or the solder joints break down eh??..

Unlikely that bad caps cause this, unless there was heavy corrosion damaging tracks. But it could very much depend on how the board was handled, i.e. if it was flexed, some joints to the large PLCC chips could crack but that's relatively rare. Diagrom test could give you more insight, if the board doesn't start with that then better to send it for diag and repair. It could be many things, and apart from these you'd be guessing without proper diag equipment (like an oscilloscope for checking clocks, and a volt meter for supply voltages) and experience.

Unlikely that bad caps cause this, unless there was heavy corrosion damaging tracks. But it could very much depend on how the board was handled, i.e. if it was flexed, some joints to the large PLCC chips could crack but that's relatively rare. Diagrom test could give you more insight, if the board doesn't start with that then better to send it for diag and repair. It could be many things, and apart from these you'd be guessing without proper diag equipment (like an oscilloscope for checking clocks, and a volt meter for supply voltages) and experience.

tbtorro. I've already re-capped the board and see no problems with the new caps soldered in (I've checked them all under a microscope), so since I have no experience repairing boards (Don't have any test equipment), in the trash it will go (I can't find anyone to look at the board for me).. Oh well. Another board to dump.. Oh I did replace the Crystal. But it's not that (It's in a socket now).. Maybe it got damaged during shipping. I really don't know..

Oh. When I opened up the package. Even though the board was wrapped up. It was loose in the bottom shield..

Last edited:
Please don't bin this board, or any of the other dead boards you have, they will easily find a home if you list them for sale. Please don't bin them, most of the components on these boards can be reused, have you not seen that we now have new recreated A500/1200/2000/3000 & 4000 boards?

tbtorro. I've already re-capped the board and see no problems with the new caps soldered in (I've checked them all under a microscope), so since I have no experience repairing boards (Don't have any test equipment), in the trash it will go (I can't find anyone to look at the board for me).. Oh well. Another board to dump.. Oh I did replace the Crystal. But it's not that (It's in a socket now).. Maybe it got damaged during shipping. I really don't know..

Oh. When I opened up the package. Even though the board was wrapped up. It was loose in the bottom shield..

I recommend to sell the dead boards you may have, you'd be surprised to know still how good value they have. As mentioned, there are recreated PCBs and other thinkerer projects all over the place where these can find a good home. If you don't want to spend too much time just batch them up and sell multiple boards in one go, if the price is right you'll easily find a buyer.

Britlord do not bin it, sell on here you will be able to still get a decent price for a faulty A1200, then you will have funds to purchase a working one

I have fixed many motherboards. A few Amiga boards and several Commodore 64 and TI-99/4a boards. I would be happy to look at it for you. Please do not thrown the board away. It is rare that an Amiga board cannot be fixed.

Guys, is there anyone here that can take a look and my recapped motherboard... I have checked all the caps and see no problem with them. But All I get is a back screen. some of the chips on the board do get warm and fitting a Accelerator card don't help.. Still a black screen, or should I say a dark grey screen. You see, I never did test the board before I did the recap. I am willing to ship it and pay to see if it can be repaired.. (Only one this one board)..

Thanks..

Hello,

you can post pictures of your motherboard (very big in size, to help to discover faulty in the solder joints). Alice become very hot in a quick time! It is normal. Look to Budgie (not Gayle, i do not know if Gayle is on A1200) if there is something strange or if it become very hot in a small point inside the area of the IC...it can be sign of malfunctioning. Other things could come to my mind if a i see a picture of the motherboard.

Cheers
Stefano

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom