Akiko 32 - Amiga in miniITX format

How much I respect you ..

Recently I was thinking about amy-itx, but I do not know if it is currently possible to buy... but I see it is worth to wait :)
At all, I like it anyway in this version, but will it be possible turbo? optional turbo tf330?
amiga 1200 in itx ... something beautiful! :)

Great project! Hope this will result in a working product

Have you wondered to split this in a motherboard without cpu/ram/ide but with a slot for a tf card. Then you can choose between available options and potentially a future 1260?

Wonderful work!
I hope It will be released soon!!
I will buy a board for sure!!!
Thank for what you di for Amiga

Thanks! :)
I'm still working on a stability issue, but hope to have it fixed soon.
There is no slot for a TF card planned, I don't see the need for it as there is already a TF card on the board... but there is an option for 060 :cool:

So, today I have something positive to report.

Since I was stuck with the control of the FastRam, I got in touch with Stephen Leary. After various emails back and forth, we decided that he needs a board on site. So I sent him my board and he took a closer look. Of course you could rely on DHL and the board was damaged during transport :Doh:. So this board seems to be very unstable at the moment, I will have a look at it when the board is back here. I currently have the second board of a friend for testing :)

The good news is:
The board now runs stable at 50MHz. I will have to integrate the I2C bus and test the clockport again.

The current specs:
- 68030 with 50MHz
- 64MB Fastram
- IDE port
- Clockport
- Expansion port for RGB
- USB connection for Rapidroad (combined with network socket)
- Expansion port for network card (unlocks the network port)
- I2C bus with voltage monitor, clock and ICY-compatible connector
- Connector for front panel

Here are a few pictures
board.jpg

Installed in the Chieftek housing:
board_case.jpg

The ports at the back:
ports.jpg

I hope to improve performance, but better than before:
dhrystone.jpg

The IDE controller is now faster too, here is my fastest CF card (a WD SiliconDrive II 2GB):
speed.jpg

What's next?
I have a small batch of PCBs that I will distribute soon. First I have to write an assembly instruction and a locator is also planned. When I have feedback from my "testers" and everything is okay, I will release the files so that everyone can build a board. In fact, the only change is quite minimal so far: Three pullups on the CPU are missing.
I also have to implement I2C. Then it would also be interesting to get the GBA turbo card to run;)

Are there any extensions?
Sure, of course!

expansion1.jpg

Yellow:
Connectors for a network card, that enable the onboard network port

Orange:
Header for a RGB board. This gives the board a DB23 with all signals. Genlocks should also work with it.

Superb project!

IMHO, it's flabbergasting!! :cool:

this will be the only newly-made amiga board I will ever solder - can't wait for it to be released!!!!

Last edited:
Amazing work !!!.
What negatively surprises me in the new Amiga hardware, is that FPU is not contemplated. (TF etc)
There are those who say that it is little used. But I have a lot of problems in my A4000 without fpu.
Besides, it does not matter: Those of us who continue to use Amiga, always want to have the options, simply because it is possible and want it.:D

I know, what you mean :)
I showed the board to a friend of mine and he said: Wait, where's the FPU? How can I use Cinema 4D on this? :D
In this case it's simply a space problem on the board and to be honest, I did'nt have that in mind as I plan to get the GBA-060 card working for this board.

The FPU needs some additional logic, so probably this could be done with a small PCB plugged into the CPU socket.

Last edited:
It came a fantastic long way from the original post... Congratulations for your work and logic progress !
I have a 060 card for my GBA1000, I never thought one day I would need another one. Ha!
Im looking forward to seeing your progress! All the best! It is a cute form factor, definitely my favourite one...

Just want to show you my "little" project: a "new" Amiga in miniITX format

As it is based on the Amiga CD32, it's name is Akiko 32.

I started in December 2018 with first drafts and now I built the 3rd prototype and it's working really good now :)
Matze helped me a lot with the CPLD code as this is my first project.
The IDE/Fastram part is based on the TF328 made by Stephen Leary.

View attachment 151876

Specs:

- miniITX size (170x170mm), pc case compatible
- 68030 with 14MHz
- AGA chipset where Lisa, Alice, Paula and the DAC are placed in THT sockets
- Akiko Chip
- 2MB Chipram
- Experimental CD32/3.1.3 combined Kickstart
- IDE controller (Gayle compatible)
- 8MB Fastram
- Clockport
- "Custom-Chip" Florica
- 20 pin ATX power connector
- Connectors: Mouse, Joystick, Keyboard (A4000D style), Audio

I decided to use only SMD parts in 0805 or 1206 size. I think, this size can be soldered by hand very well.
Oh, and I don't like those resistor networks ;)
I replaced a few parts with newer ones, e.g. the resetgen and the OpAmp.

A few imagaes:

View attachment 151877View attachment 151878View attachment 151879View attachment 151880View attachment 151881View attachment 151882

Some of the images have been made during development ;)

The current prototype has still some problems:

- The power controller is not yet on the board as I decided to replace the NE555 switch with a power controller IC
- Power LED is not dimmed for active audio filter or at reset
- Pinout at the OpAmp is wrong
- Mouse/Joystick have to directions wrong
- Pinout for resetgen is wrong
- In theory, there is a floppy port, but I'm thinking of drop it in favor of other things
- Some traces have to be added from Florica to CPU
- Two mouting holes are too big and need adjustment

So, at the moment I'm working to get rid of all problems and try to remove all errors.
My plan is to open-source the whole thing when it's finished.

A case is also missing...

will this be a full production? or just one unit?

I previously wrote about turbo tf330. A mistake of course - there will be 68030. If you can put there 68060 + extra ram it will be great :)
My body is ready :)

I'm a little bit excited... :)

Back
Top Bottom