Akiko 32 - Amiga in miniITX format

ElrondMcbong

Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
Just want to show you my "little" project: a "new" Amiga in miniITX format

As it is based on the Amiga CD32, it's name is Akiko 32.

I started in December 2018 with first drafts and now I built the 3rd prototype and it's working really good now :)
Matze helped me a lot with the CPLD code as this is my first project.
The IDE/Fastram part is based on the TF328 made by Stephen Leary.

akiko4.jpg

Specs:

- miniITX size (170x170mm), pc case compatible
- 68030 with 14MHz
- AGA chipset where Lisa, Alice, Paula and the DAC are placed in THT sockets
- Akiko Chip
- 2MB Chipram
- Experimental CD32/3.1.3 combined Kickstart
- IDE controller (Gayle compatible)
- 8MB Fastram
- Clockport
- "Custom-Chip" Florica
- 20 pin ATX power connector
- Connectors: Mouse, Joystick, Keyboard (A4000D style), Audio

I decided to use only SMD parts in 0805 or 1206 size. I think, this size can be soldered by hand very well.
Oh, and I don't like those resistor networks ;)
I replaced a few parts with newer ones, e.g. the resetgen and the OpAmp.

A few imagaes:

akiko11.jpgakiko13.jpgakiko14.jpgakiko16.jpgakiko18.jpgakiko19.jpg

Some of the images have been made during development ;)

The current prototype has still some problems:

- The power controller is not yet on the board as I decided to replace the NE555 switch with a power controller IC
- Power LED is not dimmed for active audio filter or at reset
- Pinout at the OpAmp is wrong
- Mouse/Joystick have to directions wrong
- Pinout for resetgen is wrong
- In theory, there is a floppy port, but I'm thinking of drop it in favor of other things
- Some traces have to be added from Florica to CPU
- Two mouting holes are too big and need adjustment

So, at the moment I'm working to get rid of all problems and try to remove all errors.
My plan is to open-source the whole thing when it's finished.

A case is also missing...

Great job! This looks amazing.

Some suggestions:
- keep the floppy port. Goteks and other FlashFloppy compatible devices are super useful.
- consider bumping the amount of Fast RAM
- consider faster 030s

A 1200 expansion port would open a whole realm of possibilities.

As for the case, get in touch with Stephen Jones to make sure it fits in his Checkmate 1500 case.

Wow. Ideo instaling Akiko and kickstart CD32 is very interested.
Could you write something about chipset Florica chipset?

The current version is more a proof-of-concept. 8MB fast and 14MHz is not, what I want as a final version :)
The floppy port is planned, but not yet realised. The problem are the IO ports on the CPLD.

An A1200 expansion port is not planned as this will never fit in any miniITX case. I want to keep that form factor even with more options on the board if possible.

As the board is a normal miniITX size, it will fit inside the Checkmate 1500 case. I'm currently testing a small Chieftek case.

The Florica chip is basically a CPLD with a better name: FLOppy, Ram, Ide, Clockport, Adapter :)

amazing work indeed - keep us updated on progress!!!! this will make an awesome little machine once finished!

Me too as I'd love to build one myself.

I've built a new version of the board and it is working since past Saturday :)
So, work is going on and now I have to write some new code for the CPLD as I changed big parts of it. When I'm able to boot, I'll post some new pics :rainbow:

This looks Awesome! I like the form factor. Yes please keep the floppy port. looking forward to seeing pictures of the new version :cool: What are your plans for it will you be making it available for others to build? I for one would love to build one.

This has a lot of potential. Especially if you give it serial/printer ports...

Will the floppy drive be Amiga or PC type?

Last edited:
This looks amazing! Great job!

One question: the Akiko C2P bit was really tailored to the 68020, basically the 68030 in a real CD32 fails to detect Akiko due to a "feature" of its data cache (although the Akiko is there and actually works - proved on my TF330 + AkikoFix); have you checked it still works with a 68030? It might require replacing the OS detection code (inside gfx.library) with something better.

Cheers.

Very interesting project, how much is the compatibility rate so far? Also I am interested to know the BOM cost for the current version of AKIKO 32.

I have been working hard on this board in the last weeks...
I‘ll post more details, when two more things are working ;-)

Back
Top Bottom