Akiko 32 - Amiga in miniITX format

Any news about this fantastic project ?
What about the compatibility with the 060 card from GBA ? :p

I’m currently sending some pcbs to testers. I haven’t yet solved some problems with clockport, but the board is stable with 50MHz

After the test, I’ll publish the files so everyone can build it

Wonderful to hear...
Do you intend to fix clockport issues or make further updates after release?
Or will you leave that to future contributors to your open source project?
[emoji1303]

Oh, I want to solve my own errors :D
It's software related so later updates are no problem for this. Until now, there are only a few things to fix for the final release on the board itself: There are some pullups at the CPU missing and a RC too much in the clock line.

Small update:
I've successfully upgraded one board from 64MB Fastram to 128MB by changing the two ram ics to bigger ones. So, you can choose between those two ram sizes. I want to build a firmware, that supports both sizes without the need of reflashing.

The first users have built their Akiko boards and it looks promising. :D
1.jpg

3.jpg

Same question from my side. I would be very much interested in following progress as well as option to take part in testing or purchases.

Thanks

Definitely interested in following this project, and please count me in when they become available!

Thanks for your attention, guys :smile:

At the moment, all testers are located in Germany and we have a small Telegram group. Most testers have already built up their boards and they are running.
In the past weeks, we've found some good and some bad things. I've fixed some timing problems as screenmodes bigger than PAL/NTSC resulted in wobbling and flickering screens.

There are 3 things yet to do:
- Get the I2C Busmaster working more reliable
- Get the RapidRoad working with USB thumb drives (funny thing is, that keyboards, mice and even cd drives are working)
- Get the 68030 to do some bursts on the ram

At the moment, I'm testing the new prototype for the network expansion. It's possible that this expansion needs an additional signal on the expansion header, so I'll delay the next board revision until I know that for sure.

I understand that getting information on this project outside Germany is somewhere between never heard and no chance to gather information and I want to change that.
What kind of information channel are you interested in?

At the moment, I'm testing the new prototype for the network expansion. It's possible that this expansion needs an additional signal on the expansion header, so I'll delay the next board revision until I know that for sure.

Good job in any case, and all the best to you!

I understand that getting information on this project outside Germany is somewhere between never heard and no chance to gather information and I want to change that.
What kind of information channel are you interested in?

As much as I try to stay away from Facebook, there seems to be a lot happening there. People in the Commodore Amiga group and the Checkmate 1500 group would probably love to hear about your project, see some photos and hopefully videos of the Akiko 32 prototypes.

Akiko 32 - Amiga in miniITX format

@ElrondMcbong:
Good to hear some news from your fantastic project, mate!
Obviously you have to resolve few important issues before releasing the gerber and BOMs but it’s good to hear about them.
I imagine the focus is not on that yet but what about the GBA 060 compatibility ? If we want to keep the board in a mini itx case, will the 060 board fit?

As for progress yeah the Commodore Amiga group on Facebook is a good place, there is also a group for motherboard builders (Vintage Computers Motherboard Builders) or you can also have your own page that we follow... perhaps a good way to attract more visibility from people who have technical skills and can bring inputs and ideas without being in the development team...

Last edited:
I imagine the focus is not on that yet but what about the GBA 060 compatibility?

That's the reason why the 68030 is located in the left corner :D
The GBA card will fit in a miniITX case together with the board, although it's not yet working. It's... errr, on my list :-D

Social media is not my thing, but maybe in this case it could be helpful.

Thank you for the information regarding GBA060 card. I hope you get help from the authors!

Social Media only requires a bit of time.
You can even y use it as a project management tool: for example in the description of your page you could list the current issues you are working in and marks them «* completed*» when done.
Some pictures from time to time, some technical issues reported tu public knowledge, some information when à progress is made, that’s usually enough.
You can even charge one member of your team to do that (under your supervision) then you have nothing to do yourself! :)
At the present time just seeing a video of a complete boot sequence would make a lot of us happy. :)

I am not into social media and also refuse to join any. I think I speak on behalf of many of us by saying that I would truly regret seeing the technical discussion, news reports, status updates, ordering information etc. move away from Amibay or A1k.org to some Facebook page or whatever.

Hit the LIKE button if you agree. Oh wait... :Doh:

^^ agree

I only have Facebook for 2 reasons

1:- To read the many retro groups I enjoy

2:- So I can use my Oculus Quest :( << This I hate but its the only "without Pc" unit, no cables great for this kids, play anywhere.

My Facebook has the minimal details possible, the bare essentials for Oculus Quest only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom