Country
    USA
    Region:
    Seattle, WA
    Feedback
    37 (100%)

Default NEC PC-9821Ce Model S2

SOLD

This has been sold on another forum. Thanks!

---------

Anyone interested in an NEC PC-98 computer? I have a PC-9821Ce Model S2 up for sale. Comes with keyboard and mouse. The CD-ROM drive is dead, but it doesn't stop the fun -- many games can be played from floppy or HDD. Speaking of which, the floppies work just fine and the HDD has been replaced with a CF adapter and card. The CD drive is SCSI and there is an external SCSI port so you can replace the drive or use an external one if you must play CD games. This is a great PC-98 model as it has a 486sx in it for Windows 3.1 stuff, but it's not too fast for older DOS games. It has the stock 5MB of RAM and the CF card is 2GB, though the drive image I currently have on there is 500MB.

This model has the Yamaha YM2608 sound chip for that sweet, sweet PC-98 FM music. The games for this are whacky and weird, lots of adult-type anime games if that's your bag. These are not super common in the US as they were only sold in Japan. It's a fun system to play with, but I don't need 2 of them! Monitor is NOT included; this does need a 15kHz compatible LCD/RGB monitor. Pictures are of the system playing from the CF card. Asking $300 + shipping and any payment fees. Prefer a US buyer as I'm in the US and shipping will be a little cheaper and safer than shipping overseas. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600-2.jpg   s-l1600.jpg   s-l1600-3.jpg   s-l1600-4.jpg   s-l1600-5.jpg  

s-l1600-6.jpg  
    Last edited by mattsoft; 15th December 2019 at 21:29. Reason: SOLD

Country
    Hungary
    Region:
    Komarom-Esztergom
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

Interesting system. So it is IBM PC compatible? Are all games can run (which can run on IBM PC compatible 486SX system)? Is the Yamaha YM2608 compatible with Adlib? Are old DOS games have sound on Yamaha YM2608?

Never let dreams die! DeathAdderSF's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    San Diego, California
    Feedback
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gona View Post
    So it is IBM PC compatible? Is the Yamaha YM2608 compatible with Adlib? Are old DOS games have sound on Yamaha YM2608?
    No, no, and no. While the PC-98 line is based on the same CPUs as IBM-PC compatibles, the rest of the hardware is unique. You can't run IBM-PC games on PC-98, nor vice versa.

See here...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-9800_series

For years, the PC-98 was far more popular in Japan than the IBM-PC. If you've ever wondered why there are so few Japanese-developed IBM-PC (DOS) games from the '80s and '90s, there's your answer. With a PC-98, you suddenly have access to tons of neat, unique games. If I only had the time to invest, I'd love to own one.
    Last edited by DeathAdderSF; 15th December 2019 at 13:03.
    Cruise by diskman.com : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Seattle, WA
    Feedback
    37 (100%)

Yup, DeathAdderSF is correct. It runs MS-DOS and even Windows but they are custom versions for the PC-98. The PC-98 has its own BIOS that is not compatible with PC clones.