Cyberstorm MK II MC68060/100MHz BOXED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash -> Topas750 -> Hannibal

PM to Ash sed and waiting for reply.

Last edited:
Question on the 100MHz. How was that done? Just put Rev 6 060 and 100MHz oscillator? Or more mods need to be done on board?

Question on the 100MHz. How was that done? Just put Rev 6 060 and 100MHz oscillator? Or more mods need to be done on board?

You basically just move two jumpers. The board thinks it is running in 040 mode, so the board itself is not overclocked, only the CPU (which is clock-doubled in 040 mode). RAM and SCSI (if attached) run at the normal 50Mhz. CPU is clock doubled (like an 040 would be), so a 50MHz Rev 6 060 will run at 100MHz. You need of course the 100MHz Oscillator. It is a relatively easy change. I did it myself on my own MK-2 and it's completely stable at 100MHz. Definitely recommended to run the 060 with a heatsink and fan though. For sure you notice a difference at 100Mhz - it is faster for sure. But you are bottle-necked a bit by the memory at 50Mhz. Still worth it by a long shot, in my opinion, which is why I did it to my MK-2 :)

Last edited:

You basically just move two jumpers. The board thinks it is running in 040 mode, so the board itself is not overclocked, only the CPU (which is clock-doubled in 040 mode). RAM and SCSI (if attached) run at the normal 50Mhz. CPU is clock doubled (like an 040 would be), so a 50MHz Rev 6 060 will run at 100MHz. You need of course the 100MHz Oscillator. It is a relatively easy change. I did it myself on my own MK-2 and it's completely stable at 100MHz. Definitely recommended to run the 060 with a heatsink and fan though. For sure you notice a difference at 100Mhz - it is faster for sure. But you are bottle-necked a bit by the memory at 50Mhz. Still worth it by a long shot, in my opinion, which is why I did it to my MK-2 :)

Yes that's right. It is not possible to clock board 100MHz with memory synchronous , with 50ns I was able to get 72 or 75MHz. 80MHz was stable only with 2 modules. Anyway 060 has 16kB of cache, so it will not suffer so much with slower memory like older MC68k CPUs.
In 040 mode board is running perfectly fine with 100MHz, and you are still able to use SCSI if needed.

PM send to Topas750.

Thank you Ash for quick reply.

Hello everyone! Is this thread still opened? If so, I´d like to declare interest :)

The seller is inactive on Amibay, I would suggest sending the seller a PM, this will hopefully send the seller will an email stating they have a message on Amibay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom