Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Hi all,

Looking for some assistance. I've pulled out my old sidecar to tinker with now that my A1000 is back up and running. It connects and boots ok off the old 20 meg MFM hard drive already installed in it, however it refuses to recognize the floppy drive ("Drive A: Bad" error reported on boot up). As the hard drive appears to be on its last legs (sticking to the point where I need to tap it physically at times to get it to wake up), I would like to be able to boot from floppy with a view to installing a new hard drive afterwards. My question is around the floppy controller, which is built into the sidecar mainboard. Does anybody know if this controller would be overridden if I installed an 8-bit isa controller in one of the sidecar slots?

Thanks in advance, any info would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I've tested the 360k 5.25" floppy drive on another PC and it's working fine there

Last edited:
A1060 Sidecar floppy drive controller query...

A1060 Sidecar floppy drive controller query...

Hi all,
Looking for some assistance. I've pulled out my old sidecar to tinker with now that my A1000 is back up and running. It connects and boots ok off the old 20 meg MFM hard drive already installed in it, however it refuses to recognize the floppy drive ("Drive A: Bad" error reported on boot up). As the hard drive appears to be on its last legs (sticking to the point where I need to tap it physically at times to get it to wake up), I would like to be able to boot from floppy with a view to installing a new hard drive afterwards. My question is around the floppy controller, which is built into the sidecar mainboard. Does anybody know if this controller would be overridden if I installed an 8-bit isa controller in one of the sidecar slots?

Thanks in advance, any info would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I've tested the 360k 5.25" floppy drive on another PC and it's working fine there

I sincerely hope you find a solution to your problem, but starting a twin thread with the exact same content, isn't really a wise move..

I sincerely hope you find a solution to your problem, but starting a twin thread with the exact same content, isn't really a wise move..

Thanks. Now merged

Well you can choose the number of floppy drives controlled by the Sidecar using the DIP switches. But you cannot disable it by a DIP setting. So try it and use a8bit ISA controller and we will see...

The floppy itself is jumpered correctely and you use a non-twisted floppy cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom