INTRODUCTION:
This 40.1 version of 68LC060.library is partly based on the
40.37 version of Carsten Schlote's library. It has all of
the FPU support code removed which makes it much smaller and
also LC060 specific. However, it is still very much a
"Generic" library.

Updates (by SpeedGeek):
- Removed all FPU support code
- Removed Store/Load Bypass fix code (not needed for LC060)
- Removed EC/LC060 detection code
- Replaced library frame with simpler code (Thanks to
Peter K.)
- Changed revision number to one digit (to separate LC
versions)

NOTES:
A3000 and A4000 owners may need to replace the
mathieeesingbas.library (FPU version) found in the Kickstart
ROMs. It works very well with TurboMMU040+ and FastCache040+!
Please understand a "Generic" library does NOT offer support
for all the features of proprietary 3rd party accelerator
cards.

REQUIREMENTS:
- Amiga with 68LC060 CPU
- Non_FPU versions of math#?.libraries

USAGE:
- Copy to LIBS:
- OS3.1 Setpatch loads the "Dummy" 68040.library first
- OS3.9 Setpatch (BB2) directly loads the 68060.library

HISTORY:
v40.1 - First release

Here is the link:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1382329

Last edited:
Oh, interesting. I will give it a try. I have a LC060 in my A3000.
And yes, I already do a LoadModules with a NON-FPU mathieeesingbas.library from an A2000 Kick3.1 to replace the RomVersion.

68LC060.library update

Superb job SpeedGeek as always.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I'm looking for help and i guess that this is the right place.

Short story first:
I built a few A3660 CPU cards .... they work ok on A4000 with fullscale CPU .... But the prices and availability of these have gone to the ridiculous realm, so i bought a few LC versions ... they are working and tested..... and here we go.
3.1.4 rom and OS - red software failure after boot, with different CPU libs the system starts, but except sysspeed, everything crashes. Sysspeed reports 68040 on 41 mhz.
3.1 rom and os .... the same +-

After a week of finding answers on net i'm on the verge of throwing the miggy out of the window as it's just mess of completely different advices.

So i found this post - and i hope i'll get a bit further.
the questions:

1 mathieeesingbas.library nonfpu - can i download it somewhere or do i have to go the long way to extract it from A600 ROM ??
2 is there any way how to inject custom rom (from file on HDD)using the MAPROM function on the A3660
3 is there any way how to switch this library by software after boot ??? I found that Loadmodule can do it, but it's for os 3.5 and 3.9 only - would it work on 3.1 and 3.1.4 ?

4 Non_FPU versions of math#?.libraries - are these on WB 1.3 or 2.0 or any older OS version floppies or they are dwnldable somewhere ???

Hmm ... that's all i can think of after a few days of descent to Amigasoftmadness, so once again ...HELP
biggrin.gif

-> SpeedGeek - deep respect for your work and knowledge mate .....

Does Carsten Schlote's library offer FPU emulation when running on a 68LC060?

@anemo

Carsten Schlote's library doesn't support the 68LC060. However, it does offer emulation of unimplemented FPU instructions with the full 68060. This emulation is provided by the Motorola/Freescale FPSP code.

@anemo

Carsten Schlote's library doesn't support the 68LC060. However, it does offer emulation of unimplemented FPU instructions with the full 68060. This emulation is provided by the Motorola/Freescale FPSP code.

Thanks for the swift reply! I'm bit of a 68060 novice so please bear with me; is it possible to emulate the missing FPU in a LC through software? If so, how?

Thanks for the swift reply! I'm bit of a 68060 novice so please bear with me; is it possible to emulate the missing FPU in a LC through software? If so, how?

Yes, make sure you have the non_FPU versions of math#?.libraries installed (this is the easy part). Then, try to find Software Applications which actually use these libraries (this is the hard part). But you can always develop your own Apps if you like. ;)

Last edited:
Apparently, some of the Terriblefire people have some issues with this library:

chucky said:
by chucky » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:32 pm
there is a 68LC060 lib that uses the math libs.. emulating FPU instructions..

so with that you can use a LC cpu like as if it is a RC.. but just somewhat slower.

by chucky » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:22 am

but in short: 68LC060 works.. but forget demos and games.. the fpu emulator FEMU works as 040 code.. SLOW as hell and buggy (but as it is V0.10 do not expect else :) )

That's exactly why this library does not attempt to emulate the FPU!

BTW, this library is the smallest (9 KB) 68060.library currently available (libraries with emulation code are typically very big).

pipper said:
by pipper » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:12 am

FYI The only reason any Doom port would need an FPU is because it lacks the 030’s 32x32->64bit integer multiplication and the author is instead using the FPU to perform this in floating point and convert back to fixed point right after.
I can probably produce an 060 optimized version that is not using the FPU.
As for ScummVM, there should not be any FP calculations in there. Why it would need an FPU is a complete mystery to me.

The solution is already provided with this library:

- Added optimized Mult64u/s ISP patch to utility.library
functions (Much faster than exception trap code)

Last edited:
** NEWS UPDATE **

v40.2 released!

- CPU Performance improved with Superscalar mode
(finally) working now!

Once again, the most ignorant of the Terriblefire group have some issues with this library: :picard

alenppc said:
Yes, totally pointless. It does not emulate an FPU, simply removes the FPU management code so even Femu crashes. Avoid.

The point of this library was never about emulating the FPU! It was about supporting one of many non_FPU classic Amiga systems such as:

Stock A500, A600, A1000, A2000, CDTV, A1200 and CD32... and how did Commodore do this? They provided a diverse choice of Math Libraries!

... and why did Commodore do this? Floating point emulation performance runs at only a fraction of performance of the Hardware FPU and with lower precision too! But it get's Much Worse when you add the exception trap overhead and useless code to emulate FPU control instructions on top of the already slow emulation code!

Now regarding the FPU management code (From the 060 manual):

For instance, a system using the MC68EC060 or MC68LC060 has no use for the floating point related modules.

Now, the very obvious reason for this is that the FPSP is in fact FPU dependent code!

Finally, regarding "Pointless" - there is quite a good list of missing features from various TF accelerator cards which could be used to characterize them as "Pointless" but I really don't care to stoop to that level.

terriblefire said:
Dont use any speedgeek libraries. You cant use them with MMULib as they basically do the same thing.

Thank goodness you can't use them with MMULib, but basically doing the same thing? I suppose ignorance is bliss until someone throws a bucket of cold water in your face.

Some features not available with MMULib:

- Small single library with reduced memory usage and faster loading time.
- Support for significant MMU performance optimizing tools.
- Support for 1MB and 2MB Kickstart ROM remapping tools
- Simple set up and installation instructions

On the other hand, I'm very pleased that Vampire team (without even realizing it) created the perfect complimentary tool (FEMU) for MMULib:

SLOW as hell FPU emulation + SLOW as hell virtual memory + SLOW as hell CacheDMA API - FAST as heaven 8K page mode support. Thanks guys! (y)

Last edited:
->SPeedGeek

COOOOL
Amiga 4000 with A3660 and LC cpu finally works with this tuned library ....

Thank You for your amazing work mate :bowdown:

->SPeedGeek

COOOOL
Amiga 4000 with A3660 and LC cpu finally works with this tuned library ....

Thank You for your amazing work mate :bowdown:

I got mine working too, what's this trickery around the mathieeesingbas.library though?

I wish my A3660/060 would work with the NCR scsi.device from the A4000T though (GURU 8000 0004 / reboot loop even on the latest 3.1.4.x)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom