Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me with A3000 boot error.

Country
    Norway
    Region:
    Lindesnes
    Feedback
    85 (100%)

If it works with another drive but not without, double check that the file system you selected is in fact available on the SSD, not only the HDD.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    108 (100%)

Hello,

...this means, SSD is partitioned with HDToolBox (or a similar tool) and you have inserted FileSystem into RDB. Because, with the HD attached, the Filesystem SSD uses was present into the system (because, like a virus, RDB of HD has inserted into the system the FileSystem you wish to use for SSD), and you have formatted the SSD; left out the HD, the system, at boot, looks for the filesystem to do DOS devices ready for the system; the filesystem is not present on diresctory 'sys:l/' and not present into the RDB of SSD...the system fails!

Country
    Norway
    Region:
    Lindesnes
    Feedback
    85 (100%)

I think what vibros is also trying to say is also that you might NOT have added the filesystem to the RDB of the SSD, and you should.

File systems for bootable drives must be in the RDB, unless you use FFS from the kickstart ROM.

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Illinois
    Feedback
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by fgh View Post
    If it works with another drive but not without, double check that the file system you selected is in fact available on the SSD, not only the HDD.
    ... and We have Winner!!!!! That was my problem. Reloading PFS3 in HDToolBox fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by vibros View Post
    Hello,

...this means, SSD is partitioned with HDToolBox (or a similar tool) and you have inserted FileSystem into RDB. Because, with the HD attached, the Filesystem SSD uses was present into the system (because, like a virus, RDB of HD has inserted into the system the FileSystem you wish to use for SSD), and you have formatted the SSD; left out the HD, the system, at boot, looks for the filesystem to do DOS devices ready for the system; the filesystem is not present on diresctory 'sys:l/' and not present into the RDB of SSD...the system fails!
    Yep, and I did it twice - shame on me...
    Last edited by AXm77; 23rd May 2020 at 22:49.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    108 (100%)

Hello,

just to complete...now you know the reason why you use a CF or SSD on your UAE and then, attached to a true Amiga, it won't be recognized. Because on UAE, into some devices already added by ADOS, or into directory sys:l, there is the FileSystem used by your disk (because maybe your CF was installed just on UAE); but, without RDB or without the specific FileSystem into RDB, ADOS, on a true Amiga, can't recognize how is organized the data into the disk...a bit complex!

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    108 (100%)

Last but not least (anyway i am not 100% sure..need confirmation), this applies to the version of a FileSystem too; i.e. you have PFS3 into the RDB of the disk, but the systen has charged a newer version of it (because on another device); you format the disk; then you change system, and PFS3 is found only into the RDB of your disk..you guess...the disk fails.
    Understand this; the matter is a bit complex, otherwise nothing work, or nothing work so good like on Amiga. The system load all the types of FileSystem of all DOS devices found at boot; but only the highest revision of every Filesystem found!

Regards
    stefano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12