AXm77

Country
USA
Region
Illinois
Hi

I need help with that error on A3000.

IMG_20200520_181732s.jpg

It is SCSI related, if I disconnect drive Amiga will boot.

wrong scsi.device?

How far does it get through the hardrive boot process? it could be anything in your startup-sequence or user-startup that's causing the guru

Well, that is first thing I see, (with or without installed system on drive) but to make things more clear, let me explain all details (and I did more testing).

First hardware tested:
· A3000 - 16MHz, 2MB chip/16MB Fast (SC ZIP RAM), replaced GAL's.
· CyberStorm3 060/50MHz, 128MB EDO
· Fujitsu MAN3184MP HDD (68-pin)
· M-System FFD-35-U3S SSD (80-pin with adapter)

That error happens when only SSD is connected to CS3. When I have both HDD and SSD connected, it is working without problem. I can boot from HDD or SSD, can use both without problem (at least I didn't discovered one).
I did verified termination is working, getting ~ 4.3V on termination power line and DIFFSENS line is grounded, so no mode negotiation problem. And to add insult to injury same thing happens on A4000.
So it look more like CS3/SSD problem than Amiga one.

If only the SSD is connected to the CS3, and if you boot to Workbench from a floppy disk, does the same problem occur?

Hello,

your guru means 'Privilege Violation Error'; it is related to a task, maybe the filesystem used by your partition of boot...
Many things could happen. A3000 SCSI is right terminated (at both end)?

Regards
Stefano

EDIT

It happens still on A4000D...mmh...look at what i have wrote: Filesystem on SSD. Strange device SSD! Maybe it is the reason...

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your response.

If only the SSD is connected to the CS3, and if you boot to Workbench from a floppy disk, does the same problem occur?

It will not boot from floppy, that error occurs so early I can't get to Kickstart menu (both mouse buttons).
Only thing I can do is CS3 menu (ESCAPE key).

Hello,

your guru means 'Privilege Violation Error'; it is related to a task, maybe the filesystem used by your partition of boot...
Many things could happen. A3000 SCSI is right terminated (at both end)?

Regards
Stefano

EDIT

It happens still on A4000D...mmh...look at what i have wrote: Filesystem on SSD. Strange device SSD! Maybe it is the reason...

On A3000 - nothing connected to A3000SCSI, no floppy (same on A4000 - no floppy, no IDE).

SSD was brand new without any partitions - same error. I did partition it with HDD connected together (using PFS3AIO / copied Workbench 3.1.4.1 from HDD in a ~6s).

What kind of "spell' old spinning rust using to make it work??? :?::unsure:
Because when it works, it is a lot :LOL::D:LOL:

IMG_20200520_180640.jpg

IMG_20200520_180410.jpg

Usual suspect is the 80 to 68 pin adapter

That is my 1st suspect, but what to look for? I did test 2 different ones (one simple - only 68 & 80 connectors and one resistor for LED, second one 80 > 68 or 50 pins with active termination for upper bits - that give me idea to test it on A3000 SCSI controller).

If it works with another drive but not without, double check that the file system you selected is in fact available on the SSD, not only the HDD.

Hello,

...this means, SSD is partitioned with HDToolBox (or a similar tool) and you have inserted FileSystem into RDB. Because, with the HD attached, the Filesystem SSD uses was present into the system (because, like a virus, RDB of HD has inserted into the system the FileSystem you wish to use for SSD), and you have formatted the SSD; left out the HD, the system, at boot, looks for the filesystem to do DOS devices ready for the system; the filesystem is not present on diresctory 'sys:l/' and not present into the RDB of SSD...the system fails!

I think what vibros is also trying to say is also that you might NOT have added the filesystem to the RDB of the SSD, and you should.

File systems for bootable drives must be in the RDB, unless you use FFS from the kickstart ROM.

If it works with another drive but not without, double check that the file system you selected is in fact available on the SSD, not only the HDD.

... and We have Winner!!!!! That was my problem. Reloading PFS3 in HDToolBox fixed it. :D

Hello,

...this means, SSD is partitioned with HDToolBox (or a similar tool) and you have inserted FileSystem into RDB. Because, with the HD attached, the Filesystem SSD uses was present into the system (because, like a virus, RDB of HD has inserted into the system the FileSystem you wish to use for SSD), and you have formatted the SSD; left out the HD, the system, at boot, looks for the filesystem to do DOS devices ready for the system; the filesystem is not present on diresctory 'sys:l/' and not present into the RDB of SSD...the system fails!

Yep, and I did it twice - shame on me... :double

Last edited:
Hello,

just to complete...now you know the reason why you use a CF or SSD on your UAE and then, attached to a true Amiga, it won't be recognized. Because on UAE, into some devices already added by ADOS, or into directory sys:l, there is the FileSystem used by your disk (because maybe your CF was installed just on UAE); but, without RDB or without the specific FileSystem into RDB, ADOS, on a true Amiga, can't recognize how is organized the data into the disk...a bit complex!

Last but not least (anyway i am not 100% sure..need confirmation), this applies to the version of a FileSystem too; i.e. you have PFS3 into the RDB of the disk, but the systen has charged a newer version of it (because on another device); you format the disk; then you change system, and PFS3 is found only into the RDB of your disk..you guess...the disk fails.
Understand this; the matter is a bit complex, otherwise nothing work, or nothing work so good like on Amiga. The system load all the types of FileSystem of all DOS devices found at boot; but only the highest revision of every Filesystem found!

Regards
stefano

Back
Top Bottom