Thread: CF card reader no longer recognising CF card

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Fife
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

Default CF card reader no longer recognising CF card

Looking for a little help folks. I've been happily using a PCMCIA CF card reader with a Transcend 8gb card to transfer files between my PC and Amiga for a few years now.

I replaced my ACA1233n card with a Blizzard 1260 on Thursday, installed the MMU libs and made the necessary changes to my startup-sequence to get it running.

I went to use the CF card but, nothing. The card isn't being recognised (no disk present in device cf0).

It can still be read on the PC side, and it worked before so I don't think it's a compatibility issue. The PCMCIA slot itself is working as I was able to get back online with the wireless LAN card. A visual inspection of the pins in the PCMCIA slot didn't indicate a problem, as did an inspection of the pins inside the card reader.

I've tried disabling the Blizzard, booting with no startup sequence and manually mounting the device. No joy either. I've also tried using the cf-rescue-disk, but to no avail.

Prepcard recognises a card is present, but if I try to format the device, it also doesn't recognise a card is inserted. I also reinstalled the CF card drivers (most recent version from Aminet) but that didn't help either.

Are the readers themselves susceptible to failure? As that's the only think I can think it is.

If anyone here has any experience of this I'd be grateful for any assistance - I've got nothing!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AndyC; 24th May 2020 at 22:31.
    A500+ with 2 Mb Chip RAM, courtesy of the Free Amiga Fairy
    "Blumiga", A1200 with Blizzard 1260, 128Mb Fast RAM, CF 8Gb Hard Disk and Indivision M2cr, enclosed in a blue Kickstarter Case

Online Gangster Amibayer! fitzsteve's Avatar
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Feedback
    1023 (100%)
    Blog Entries

Have you perhaps bent a pin on the adapter or motherboard? They're pretty delicate.

Prep card is for preparing SRAM cards as system memory so not used in this situation.

Assume you still have the CFD driver installed and FAT32 file system?
    My YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/fitzsteve

CD32 + TF330, A500+ Vampire V2, A1200T Black Box + Mediator B1260 + Killer K1 PPC

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Fife
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

Hi Steve,

I've visually checked the pins on the port and the reader itself. The wireless LAN card is working fine too, so I'd expect that to be having issues with any bent pins etc (see below):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-05-24 at 21.01.17.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	157320 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-05-24 at 21.03.32.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	157321

Most recent CFD driver and FAT32 are both installed - the only change to the system was swapping out the ACA for the Blizzard...

Very puzzling!

AndyC
    "Blumiga", A1200 with Blizzard 1260, 128Mb Fast RAM, CF 8Gb Hard Disk and Indivision M2cr, enclosed in a blue Kickstarter Case

Country
    United States
    Region:
    Augusta, Georgia
    Feedback
    8 (100%)

Hate to mention the obvious, but if you put the old accellerator back in, does it work again?
    ---
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Fife
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

Hi,

The ACA is all packaged up and ready to post to its new owner today.

Let me see if I can give it a try.

Cheers,

AndyC

Online Gangster Amibayer! fitzsteve's Avatar
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Feedback
    1023 (100%)
    Blog Entries

If it does work with the old accelerator and not without any (or the Blizzard disabled) that would be a strange situation unless the ACA is correcting some kind of timing issue?

Also the MUI Libs, might be worth commenting out anything from your startup sequence and see if that is the cause. Or create a boot disk with just the CF card drivers and see if transfers work that way.
    My YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/fitzsteve

CD32 + TF330, A500+ Vampire V2, A1200T Black Box + Mediator B1260 + Killer K1 PPC

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Fife
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

So,

I removed the Blizzard and the hard disk and booted from the CF-rescue disk - success, the CF card was visible and browsable in Workbench. I then added the HD back in, did the same and could still read the CF card.

When I reinserted the Blizzard and booted into the CF-rescue disk, no joy - the card doesn't appear in Workbench, and if I try to go to CF0: in shell, it says no disk in device CF0:.

To recap:

- The card reader is working without the blizzard connected, so we can conclude the reader isn't faulty
    - I didn't see the need to reconnect the ACA 1233n given the above
    - We can also conclude that the PCMCIA port is OK
    - The CF reader does not work with the Blizzard inserted

I have also considered that my power supply may not be up to the task. I'm using an old A500+ power brick, but I have also tried my A1200 power brick to no avail.

In terms of peripherals connected, I have:

- CF Card IDE Adapter with 8Gb CF card fitted
    - Indivision AGA Mk2Cr
    - Blizzard 1260 with 128Mb SIMM

AndyC

- - - Updated - - -

I think my reply crossed with yours.

The CF-Rescue disk has a simple startup-sequence that mounts CF0: and loads the required libraries for the CF card reader.

It's a 1D4 board with no timing fixes that I'm aware of...

Quote Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
    If it does work with the old accelerator and not without any (or the Blizzard disabled) that would be a strange situation unless the ACA is correcting some kind of timing issue?

Also the MUI Libs, might be worth commenting out anything from your startup sequence and see if that is the cause. Or create a boot disk with just the CF card drivers and see if transfers work that way.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Hitchin
    Feedback
    29 (100%)

In my experience, ACA cards can be very forgiving as it's been designed into them in regards to board timings. Blizzards IMO require more precision so timing fixes and a cap replacement should always be top of the things-to-do list.

Are the power supplies you have there the lightweight or heavy versions? Having the heavier ones make a BIG difference when it comes to the more power demanding add-on's such as 1260's.
    Vampire V4 Standalone PC Engine Everdrive Commodore 64 SD2IEC

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Fife
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

Hi there,

I've been using the 500+ PSU, but I have a refurbished A1200 PSU as well. I've just tried a Meanwell RT65B with no success.

I've also tried with the maprom jumper fitted and removed.

I'm getting really weird behaviour now - previously if I deactivated the card on bootup, it made no difference. But now, if I do that, I can see the CF card in Workbench, and it will read from it, but only if I take it out and put it back into the reader. And even then, the system hangs if I double click on the icon, until I take it out and put it back in again, at which point it comes back to life.

Bizarre!

AndyC

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Hitchin
    Feedback
    29 (100%)

Proper libraries for the 1260 installed?

http://phase5.a1k.org/
    Vampire V4 Standalone PC Engine Everdrive Commodore 64 SD2IEC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast