salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
This is my latest modding project, a Mac Color Classic case housing a Pi 3 B computer.
First thing i did was clean the case a bit.

MAC-1.jpg

I obtained an iPad 3 display panel which has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. That's a 9.7" display, and i bought an HDMI controller for it. Here's the two parts:

MAC-2.jpg

Initial tests showed the controller works:

MAC-3.jpg

MAC-4.jpg

The panel needed some modifications to the case frame for it to fit, but thankfully not much work.

MAC-6.jpg

MAC-7.jpg

I had to remove some strips of plastic for the display to sit properly against the case.

MAC-8.jpg

You see, the original CRT was a curved display, and this new one is total flat. There were gaps after trimming it, so i thought i'd utilize some strips of black plastic sheet to cover them:

MAC-9.jpg

MAC-10.jpg

MAC-11.jpg

MAC-12.jpg

However, after attaching the panel to the case, i discovered i goofed! I had it mounted upside-down, although i THOUGHT i had it placed right after testing. :picard
Thus, i needed to take it apart again, and twist it. Before proceeding, i contacted the supplier, and asked if i could rotate the picture through the controller menu. He replied, and told me that this function will be functional in a future firmware...
Next picture, you can see the two boards fitted internally, the Pi and the HDMI controller:

MAC-13.jpg

The diy small pcb with the two microswitches will be placed against the front of the case, where a set of buttons exist. Dunno yet what i'll use them for, but i'll think of something. Here's the buttons i refer to:

MAC-17.jpg

There's actually four buttons there, so i needed to utilize four microswitches. Thus, i made 2 pcbs. Here's how they'll be placed:

MAC-16.jpg

And the two pcbs wired-up.

MAC-18.jpg

Stay tuned, as i will return shortly with more details! ;)

Good luck with this. I also purchased a Color Classic and ripped out the innards. The curved monitor enclosure is the biggest challenge. My project stalled years ago, but I may pick it up again when I have more spare time.

Ouch for the both of you, I was scrolling to the bottom hoping to find a "No Color Classic's were hurt during the photography of this project" but that's obviously not the case.. :eek: :eek: :eek:veractor:

Oh well :LOL: Good luck to the both of you, I just hope the end result was gonna worth it..

Last edited:
@eris, @tbtorro : Thanks fellas, i'm trying not to hurt the case too much! Trust me, those folks who do the upgrade to PPC and swap screens may actually be butchering it more than i did! One thing is certain: should one "need" to recover it to initial state, they can still do so, but would have to utilize an HDMI screen. Anyway, on with the project!
Here's a piece of plexiglass i cut to cover the blank at the rear bottom of the case:

MAC-20.jpg

This piece will be drilled to receive ins and outs of the Pi. And will of course be painted beige before final placement.
Next, you can see my initial boot with Raspbian. High resolution FTW!

MAC-22.jpg

I know the white power LED looks pretty dim, but hasn't been placed in its position yet. I initially went for a green LED, but it wasn't intense enough. This one is actually an SMD type, and really bright. Here's how bright it was before i secured it in place:

MAC-23.jpg

I used Berryboot, so i could also install Retropie:

MAC-26.jpg

MAC-27.jpg

MAC-24.jpg

MAC-25.jpg

Quality of the Retina display is awesome, but the camera don't do it justice.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the early things i did was to place heatsinks to the Pi:

MAC-34.jpg

Then i wired-up the audio amp. This one requires 5vdc, which comes from a micro USB output.

MAC-21.jpg

Here's the USB pcb to connect to the audio amp:

MAC-36.jpg

The orange wires on the HDMI controller end up on the Power LED. Here's the two speakers to drive the audio output. They're 4Ω, 3 Watt which is more than enough:

MAC-29.jpg

And this is how it all looks inside, after the speakers and audio amp are put in place:

MAC-38.jpg

And here's how the microswitches' pcbs are secured in place:

MAC-40.jpg

MAC-42.jpg

MAC-43.jpg

You can clearly see the buttons are exactly ahead of the microswitches, and testing showed i should have no problem in functionality.

Awesome work. I was going to install a miniITX linux machine into it. Now I'm not sure :)

Tell me again how you compensated to make the flatscreen flush with the curved screen mounting area. That's what threw me for a loop.

Last edited:
Thanks! I had to trim cut strips of plastic from the sides of the bezel, measuring equal distances in order to "center" the display in place. Trial and slow cuts are needed, until you reach the proper space for the display to lay flat against the case. Should you want to follow this procedure, you would need an iPad 3-4 Retina display. They're 9.7" in size, and require a display controller. Once the display is properly fitted, you will notice blanks at the top and bottom of the cases' bezel. Those would require curved strips of plastic to cover. I cut mine from a DVD disc case..

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a first video i did after reaching this level:

Last edited:
Here's the display menu of the HDMI controller, showing that there actually is a rotate function, alas not functional!

MAC-44.jpg

Here's another useful thing to know: Installing MacOS 9 (requires PPC), is possible using SheepShaver.

MAC-46.jpg

MAC-47.jpg

Here's another thing i'm waiting to arrive so i can close this project. It's a power socket with a rocker switch.

socket.jpg

Finally, another thing i have ordered, is a USB to floppy interface, because i want to be able to load .adf images on the Amiga emulator through an actual floppy drive, just like i did on the laptop project.

Thanks, looks nice, but my guess is that it would only make Raspbian heavier for a measly Pi 3 (if compatible). Nevertheless, looks like they took it down, as their site reports "RaspbianX and iRASPBIAN will be back soon"
I am considering upgrading to a Pi 4 sometime, just not now. Another thought i have is to maybe shove an Android TV box in there to co-reside with the Pi. But all in the distant future.. ;-)

Thanks, looks nice, but my guess is that it would only make Raspbian heavier for a measly Pi 3 (if compatible). Nevertheless, looks like they took it down, as their site reports "RaspbianX and iRASPBIAN will be back soon"
I am considering upgrading to a Pi 4 sometime, just not now. Another thought i have is to maybe shove an Android TV box in there to co-reside with the Pi. But all in the distant future.. ;-)

I downloaded the file before it got took down.. no pi4 yet to try it but it does look cool.

search iRASPBIAN on archive.org

Last edited:
Here's a new video of the MacBerry running MacOS 9 using SheepShaver:

Last edited:
very impressive. Reminds me to update my trs-80 retropie posts on here, as thats now as 'done' as its going to get. You have a far better screen though, and nice work throughout!

Please could you share a link to that ipad screen and the driver boards? I assume it has a separate led driver? I would love to get a higher res screen and you've shown it might be possible!

cheers

Last edited:
Thanks iainjh! I'd post direct links to ebay if it were not to be considered as advertizing. However, description will help you.
There's actually a sale for 20 quid on ebay UK for the display itself. Description reads: iPad 3rd/4th Generation Display Replacement LCD.
You will definitely need a controller board. Description is: HDMI LCD Driver Board For 9.7" 2048x1536 LTL097QL01 HQ097QX1 LP097QX1 IPS LCD
Good luck, should you purchase them, i'm sure you'll enjoy the picture!

thank you, I'll have a look. Really I need a bigger 12" display but if they are selling hi res panels like this, thats a fab start!

btw, I had a look on panelook.com, and reminded myself I need a 4:3 ratio display.

again, all the best with your build. PS what are you planning for a retro keyboard?

cheers

Last edited:
Yes, i saw your build, you definitely need a bigger screen.. Should you plan for a Retina that size, one pick is the Macbook Pro 13", but they go by the 3-digit price. No matter what you pick, you will still need a controller of some sort.
As for the keyboard, i initially wanted to interface an Apple ADB keyboard, but have really lost patience lately so i will use a Pleomax keyboard that has a 90s Mac-look. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41TNslF8o8L._AC_SX355_.jpg

just to re iterate I do like your build and the choice of mac-style keyboard is sublime. Its a grower!

I found some pretty good 'retro' mx keycaps on ebay and aliexpress, and considered mixing sets up to get the right look. or there's some nice wireless apple-alike keyboards often sold for pi, they look identical to current mac style. they could be painted the classic mac colours...

I use basilisk btw. doyou recommend sheepshaver?

all the best

Thanks mate! On the keyboard front, there's definitely lots of choices. I just thought practically, and budget-wise. My guess on the Basilisk II vs SheepShaver front, is dependent on what you want to run. SheepShaver gives you PPC ability whereas with the Basilisk you might handle up to 8.x Thus, i think running 68k stuff (which isn't a small list BTW) will go rather smooth.

thanks. i'm not aware of ppc stuff on mac... I may take a look.I made an image and got pimp of persia on it quickly.

cheers!

ps I've just posted pics of the electron, in photo booth. simple by comparison, only took 2 hrs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom