Copying from a Gotek to HDD

scoca

Country
England
Region
Lincolnshire
Hi,
I'm considering getting a gotek for my 1200.
I've looked at tutorials and can see people loading ADF images from them.

My question is can a gotek be used to copy files to the hard drive?

Thanks.

Yes it can. Loading an ADF on the Gotek will make it appear as if you inserted a floppy disk in DF0. Content can then be accessed on Workbench per usual, individual files can be accessed, modified, moved in DOpus and similar file explorers.

So if I had a single file I wanted on the Amiga, would I have to ADF it first?

It's easier to copy a single file from the PC side to the Amiga via WinUAE using your A1200's SD or CF card.

You only need a basic Workbench environment loaded into WinUAE, add the folder where the file is located as a Directory and finally have the CF or SD card mounted as a Hard Drive

Then you can copy files across to your heart's content

Click sbove for full picture

Last edited:

Yes

So in this case it's probably easier just to use a CF in the PCMCIA slot.

Yes

So in this case it's probably easier just to use a CF in the PCMCIA slot.

Thanks for all the replies.
So maybe a pcmcia adaptor would be better for transferring files between pc and Amiga.

Is a pcmcia plug-and-play?
Will it pop-up on workbench as a drive as soon as it's plugged in?

Also will it work on kickstart 3.0 with 8mb fast ram?

You might be lucky for it to work with 3.0 and 8mb but in theory no, it shouldn't because PCMCIA conflicts with the Zorro II memory space and only up to 5.5mb Ram is usable, some people put a toggle switch and jumper the board down to 4mb when they want to use PCMCIA (most Ram boards have these jumpers)

For the drivers, you need CFD and Fat95 from Aminet, you could use your Gotek to get these files onto the Amiga, FAT95 goes in L, Compact flash device in Devs, and CF0 in Devs/Dosdrivers then when you insert a Fat formatted CF card it will automatically mount an Icon.

Hope that helps.

There are jumpers on the 8mb board so I can lower the fast ram amount.

So I'll need a gotek to set up the pcmcia to allow file transfer, but I'll be stuck using less ram.

Do 3.1 ROMs make things easier?
Is there a way to have full ram and pcmcia working?

There are jumpers on the 8mb board so I can lower the fast ram amount.

So I'll need a gotek to set up the pcmcia to allow file transfer, but I'll be stuck using less ram.

Do 3.1 ROMs make things easier?
Is there a way to have full ram and pcmcia working?

Actually 3.1 Roms mean PCMCIA certainly wont work with above 5.5mb (3.0 is kind of a workaround but not without some errors)

Only 32bit Accelerator FastRam can be used in full with PCMCIA support like your Blizzard 1230 cards.

You can transfer the PCMCIA files to your HDD with WinUAE or you can buy EasyADF from Amigakit (assuming you have a working Floppy Drive)

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=694

Remember you only need to toggle the Ram down when you want to use PCMCIA, all other times you can switch it back, you can fit a toggle switch like this:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/7347154/

So is this correct?

I could get a floppy with EasyADF.
Get a pcmcia to SD card adaptor.
Load EasyADF as mentioned.
Knock the ram down from 8mb.
Then the card will be recognised.

Yep that's indeed correct.

Make sure you format your CF on the PC Fat 16 or Fat 32 (depends on card size but I recommend smaller CF like 512mb as they're often more compatible than modern, larger cards. SanDisk blue cards in my experience are the ones to use. If the card is formatted correctly and the drivers have been installed then an icon should automatically mount on your workbench.

Note: Prepcard on the Amiga is for preparing SRam cards, not removable storage.

It might well work for you at 8mb with 3.0 roms, if you get errors drop down to 4mb.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom