CD32 video problem - very, VERY dim screen

joora

Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
So, I've finally managed to obtain a CD32 - it was well kept - nice, indamaged case, never opened, no rust on the RF shields, beautiful.

It turns on, spins the CD, loads games, has sound... BUT - the video is barely distinguishable - it's almost completely black, as you can witness from the photo:

IMG-20200714-WA0004.jpg

Both the composite and S-video output the same.

Gave the console to the (probably only) local expert for Amigas for recapping. He reccaped, there were leaking caps (he said the leak was substatntial), he cleaned the board properly - but the problem remained.
He replaced Z221 from the donor, but still same.
I can see he is really trying to solve this (as he is a true amiga fan and wants to save any amiga that gets in his shop), but he is running out of ideas.

So, if anyone encountered a similar problem, or have a good idea what could be the culpruit, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Why not try a Riser that will fit on the back of the CD32 that uses RGB video output, this bypasses the Z221 and is direct output so it can tell you if the problem is with the delay line circuit or the video DAC
You will need a 23 pin RGB to scart lead to connect to the TV to use it

I sell these , if you want one to try then email me

Last edited:
Hi joora,
It is probably U36 a 4066 bilateral switch that routes the RGB signal to the expansion port or to the CXA1145 Encoder.
If the switches in the 4066 go high resistance you would have nearly no RGB signal getting to the Encoder therefore very little picture output if any at all.

Have seen this fault on another CD32 and U36 was the problem. (Try using a scope on both sides of the 4066 switches on each of the RGB channels to check if all the signal is getting through)

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom