FastATA 4000 help

quantum8

Country
Australia
Region
QLD
I have a fast ATA mk-VII installed in my a3000 and am having issues getting it to work correctly.

My setup was stable with the following configuration:
- a3640
- 16meg SC ZIP
- 3.1.4 ROM
- oktagon 2008 with SCSI2sdv6

I've returned the oktagon to a friend who I had loaned it from and now have the fastATA installed in the top zorro slot. Have tried 3 different slots so far.

I've taken the SD card used in the scsi2sd and put it in a CF adapter on the primary channel (The connector on the outside, I don't have a manual for this board so I'm guessing here).

Workbench boots most of the time, but I get a lot of checksum errors afterwards. The partition is FFS and is 1gig. Second partition is 10gig formatted with PFS but haven't tested that one much.

I've set the max transfer to 1FE00 and formatted the 1gig partition under FS-UAE (just to start with a clear slate) and still get checksum errors on the a3000 side.

Launching HD toolbox on the amiga side and the machine gurus when detecting the drive.

Does anyone have any pointers to get this working here?

What PIO setting do you have the FastATA set at? I find PIO3 works with most drives PIO4 I've only had success with a few drives and PIO5, never had one working with this setting yet.

I have it set to the default of pio 0.
What are the symptoms for you when trying pio 5?

Last edited:
Try setting it to PIO3 sadly I dont have an A3K and what i have read it seems they don't have an IDE header but do have a SCSI one but I will explain how I set mine up on an A4K

The way I set it up on my A4K is by having the OS I wanted to use on another drive and connect it to the A4K's original IDE header and then installing the fastATA 4000 drivers on that drive (ensure you have the latest drivers from elbox).

Attach the drive I wanted to use to the fastATA.

Started up the A4K and proceed to prefs and click on the "FastATA" prefs app

Ensure the drive is seen and set it to PIO3 and press save. (its not needed but I always reset the machine at this point)

When rebooted go to tools directory and start the HDtoolBox, if the drivers are installed correctly you should see something along the lines of 2ndSCSI.device version 60

Now install the drive and read config and then save

Then you should be able to partition the drive how you want it and set up the preferred file system you want to use. don't forget to check bootable on the boot partition

you will be prompted to reboot do so

format your newly partitioned drives and name them how you would like them (I also do this just to set the drive up and then use it with WinUAE to transfer what i want to them)

Once rebooted, execute a command to copy your OS to the boot partition on your newly partition drive on the Fast ATA. something along the lines of "Copy System: to Empty: all clone", System being your OS and Empty being the New bootable Partition.

Once all is copied (hopefully you wont of had any errors which is a good sign) I shutdown the machine and I would remove the drive connected to my A4K's IDE Header and reboot the machine.

If all is good it will start up correctly and work fine

now I know this may be difficult for you with out an onboard IDE but correct me if I'm wrong about the A3K not having onboard IDE, I don't know has I said I've never owned one

If all else fails Ill swap you my Oktagon 2008 rev 7 SCSI card for the Fast ATA :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi Guys I had one of these in my A3000 and never had an Issue just like my A4000 put it in did the setup of the OS in winuae on the cf cards and away it went what you could try is a standard IDE drive.. Ahh Hold on just done an typical Al and reread first post try this start with your OS disks if its 3.1.4 thats the install disk if its 3.1 then workbench then the install disk, go into the drive setup and then let it do the default setup this will split a 4gig card in half but make sure for testing purposes you only have the first boot partition setup with 900mb and of course you do the 1fe0000 option in the advanced part. I get upto (hold on just switching on the big box) set to PIO 0 trying them on 5!! yep they work ok on a MK6. If I am Honest the 3000 is faster with the onboard SCSI plus you can upgrade the Chip if it is not already the highest version which makes it a little quicker.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give them a go once again. It sounds like I've done something similar to start with....but it's possible I missed a step however!

I have a buster-9 on the way as someone has suggested that the 7 in the 3000 may have issues.

The reason I'm not using onboard scsi is that the dmac/ramsay combo on my machine doesn't like the a3640 and messes with the timing. I got loads of checksum issues with onboard, but not one with the oktagon. I upgraded the SCSI chip to the AMD a while back when I was trying to diagnose that issue but it made no difference for me. I'm lead to believe that upgrading this chip only really solves problems with multiple devices on the SCSI chain.

As a side note, I tried the card in my a4000 and it seems to work decently, but I wasn't able to disable the split function with the fastATA prefs (it was completely greyed out) so it couldn't see the rest of my card's partitions. I'm wondering if i Install the utility and use a blank SD card whether the option will become available.

Back
Top Bottom