Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Hi.

After a member here mentioned about the mistakes done by Commodore on CD32 motherboards, I decided to open my own CD32.

The label at the bottom states " Manufactured September 1993".

I have bought this CD32 from AmigaKit since 2008 (played a lot of hours to be precise) without any problem till now. Only one game makes strange noises output instead of playing the corresponding sample for example, but I believe it's the CD only (?).

So, I've decided to open mine tonight.

I've spotted the two capacitors, but I don't know how is the correct side, how they have to plugged correctly.

Please look at these photos below. I've spotted that both capacitors have something strange atop of them. Also one capacitor has more (look photo).

I didn't spot any leakage yet, especially on the motherboard.

So, do my both capacitors being changed to correct state, or they are wrong replaced from the beginning?

Waiting for your help.

Thanks a lot.

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

They are soldered the wrong way round (back to front)! The white markngs/stripe on the caps should be on the opposite sides (y)

Check the orientation of the large caps on this rev 4.1 motherboard (this is how they should be):

cd32motherboard41.jpg

They are soldered the wrong way round (back to front)! The white markngs/stripe on the caps should be on the opposite sides (y)

Thanks m8 for your fast reply. (y)

So, the first capacitor which faces south, must be face north, and the other one on the right which faces right must be face left? :unsure:

Thanks m8 for your fast reply. (y)

So, the first capacitor which faces south, must be face north, and the other one on the right which faces right must be face left? :unsure:

Correct... i've added a pic to my previous post (y)

To double check I would use a multimeter to confirm that GND or 0V marked by the Mobo's screen print is correct.

I remember having to re-orintate the Caps on my CD32 but this was some years ago & cannot remember if they were simply incorrectly inserted OR wrong because they had been inserted in line with the screen print which happened to be wrong. ie don't always believe what you read from the screen print.

They do indeed seem to be bulging nicely though due to years of incorrect polarisation.

TC :cool:

Thanks Vasilis. :)

So, I have to turn my machine off till I'll fix it. Do the capacitors can leak if the machine isn't working at all?

Thanks Vasilis. :)

So, I have to turn my machine off till I'll fix it. Do the capacitors can leak if the machine isn't working at all?

Technically I suppose so but If they haven't popped in the last 2 years then I'm sure they can keep going a bit longer. There are probably hundreds of CD32's out there still running with the Caps the wrong way round....

Don't overdo it though cos the brown stuff at the top shows they have leaked a bit already.

I see, so it's better NOT to fire up my CD32 till I change those capacitors.

Do you have anyone to change the caps for you.
If not and you don't mind postage back & forth to the UK then send me the board & I will do it for you FOC ;)

Regards

Oh mate, you're wonderful, I really appreciate your offer. (y)

I have my father for this job, but I don't have the capacitors nor I don't know what to buy.

But even, if my father cannot (due to heavy schedule), I'll inform you instantly.

WTF ? I'm going now to open my CD32.

I hope to change them easily with my new heat gun.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Oh mate, you're wonderful, I really appreciate your offer. (y)

I have my father for this job, but I don't have the capacitors nor I don't know what to buy.

But even, if my father cannot (due to heavy schedule), I'll inform you instantly.

You will buy exactly the same but better quality. Voltage must be equal though capacitance can be a click higher.

@ Powerpie 5000

Thanks for your info m8. So it seems that only (?) September 1993 manufactured CD32s have this problem?

I'm saying so because Geraldine stated that her CD32 has being manufactured in October 1993.

@ Powerpie 5000

Thanks for your info m8. So it seems that only (?) September 1993 manufactured CD32s have this problem?

I'm saying so because Geraldine stated that her CD32 has being manufactured in October 1993.

Must be the first run of CD32 consoles, so i would stay away from any manufactured september 1993. The French models should be fine though as they use the later rev 4 and rev 4.1 motherboards (y)

What happend when they are soldering wrong ?
The life time is shorter?
And then? The caps leaks after that time and the Cd32 don´t work anymore?

What happend when they are soldering wrong ?
The life time is shorter?
And then? The caps leaks after that time and the Cd32 don´t work anymore?

Something like that.

Ok and when this happend can i remove the old one and set new caps in and then it works again?
Or when this happend it´s too late?

Ok and when this happend can i remove the old one and set new caps in and then it works again?
Or when this happend it´s too late?

Your better off replacing the caps before they leak all over the motherboard. If they are bulging then change them (y)

Ok it is "only" because leaking right?
Because i have 2 CD32 they don´t work anymore.
And they are not leaking so i guess this is not the problem for this one?
Or do have this other effects than only leaking ?

Ok it is "only" because leaking right?
Because i have 2 CD32 they don´t work anymore.
And they are not leaking so i guess this is not the problem for this one?
Or do have this other effects than only leaking ?

Are they bulging on top? If your CD32's don't work anymore then it might be worth changing the caps (if that is the problem). Capacitors are very cheap to buy and these type are quite easy to replace if you can use a soldering iron :)

Back
Top Bottom