External SATA DVD/CD-RW Drive for A1200

ChewChew

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Beds
Here’s a project that kept me entertained for some of lockdown.

I took an old USB CD Rom enclosure, fitted a DVD/CD-RW drive, modified the connection from USB to SATA (on eSATA connector) and included a passive audio mixer. I had intended to build an active audio mixer, but the passive mixer works really well blending the Amiga audio and CDDA audio without too much attenuation.

Top.jpg rear.jpg Inside.jpg

In my A1200 I installed an IDE to SATA adaptor, routing the SATA output to an eSATA connector fitted in the expansion slot/port. This is connected to the A1200’s IDE port along with an SD to IDE adapter. I did not use any custom IDE convertors such as 4xIDE or the like.

Exp-Port.jpg

I’m really pleased with the results. CD32 games work well with blended Amiga and CDDA audio using the IDEfix and HiSoft CD32 emulators.

It’s sad to retire my Zappo/Overdrive CD after 26 years of service, but I now have a faster drive that can read CD-RWs and DVDs and still supports CD32 games. Oh and my PCMCIA port is now free so I no longer worry about disconnecting/reconnecting the fragile Zappo PCMCIA connector each time I want to connect a CF card.

Back
Top Bottom