Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

Default CD32+TF330 sometimes doesn't boot

Hi,

I have a setup of a CD32 (revision 3) paired with a TF330 revision 3b with a golden 68030 50Mhz and with the latest firmware (v2). The PSU is a new one I bought from here with double the power of the original one.

Every blue monday the cd32 when i flip the power switch, will not boot. It will just stay there with the faint green light. If I press reset it will continue and boot normaly.

Its not something that happens most of the times, it happens some times but on the second try it boots and works normaly.

The console is recapped by myself and the power caps are with the correct orientation (initially they were reversed as with the known issue of the wrong silkscreen onboard).

It happens sporadicaly and it boots on the second try (with either the power switch or the reset button) but just wanted to know if someone else has encountered the same thing.

Also, I have thouroughly cleaned the contacts on both the cd32 and the tf330 card. It could just be a case of the rgb cable putting some weight and bending the riser downwards a little.

Thanx
    Last edited by gtsamour; 14th October 2020 at 18:49.

Country
    UK
    Region:
    Bournemouth
    Feedback

Hi, I run my T330 with a standard power supply. Use some alcohol on the pins on the board. Try and keep stretching from the RGB cable to a minimum, also check the connection of the keyboard.

Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

I have cleaned the pins with 99% isopropyl alcohol, I have no keyboard connected.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Essex
    Feedback

I think the RGB cable is pulling at my riser too, I try and keep plenty of slack in the cable and then pin it underneath. Has worked for me so far

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Queensland
    Feedback
    14 (100%)

Another thought is the CD32 rear power switch, I had a similar issue on a cd32, shorted the switch, and switched it externally, the issue disappeared.
    Amigas ( 2 x A1200, CD32, 3 x A2000, 2 x A600, 2 x A500+, 4 x A500) Lots of c64s and associated peripherals

Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mitchtaylor View Post
    I think the RGB cable is pulling at my riser too, I try and keep plenty of slack in the cable and then pin it underneath. Has worked for me so far
    You think a 3d printed cover for he kipper riser could help?

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Another thought is the CD32 rear power switch, I had a similar issue on a cd32, shorted the switch, and switched it externally, the issue disappeared.
    The switch how.... you think some kind of corrosion ot dirt inside of it could cause this?
    Last edited by gtsamour; 14th October 2020 at 06:30.

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    QLD
    Feedback
    11 (100%)

The switch doesn't sound like it could be the issue.

I think it's common that the voltage detector could be a culprit:
    https://www.tsb.space/bl0g/amiga-cd3...r-2-5-minutes/

Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
    The switch doesn't sound like it could be the issue.

I think it's common that the voltage detector could be a culprit:
    https://www.tsb.space/bl0g/amiga-cd3...r-2-5-minutes/

Hmmmm, but I don't have any symptoms resembling the ones that are mentioned in your link. After booting the cd32 works flawlessly for hours.

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Queensland
    Feedback
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gtsamour View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    The switch how.... you think some kind of corrosion ot dirt inside of it could cause this?
    As I said earlier, just a thought could be a number of different faults most likely a bad connection issue somewhere. To answer your question, the contacts wear down, or become dirty over time due to arcing (depends on switch quality), with a cold start there maybe a volt drop across the contacts, the second start may have allowed the contacts to heat enough to negate the voltage drop across the contacts.
    Last edited by Dano; 14th October 2020 at 12:11.
    Amigas ( 2 x A1200, CD32, 3 x A2000, 2 x A600, 2 x A500+, 4 x A500) Lots of c64s and associated peripherals

Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

Problem found,

it was the "new" psu I bought from torsti76 a while back, using the original psu everything works flawlessly, 75 straight power ons all perfect.

torsti76 psu: 6 tries, 3 times failed to boot.

I know many people bought this and I saw no complains here. Maybe mine was a bad nut. Measured voltages (without load) are 5,32V and 12,15V.
    I don't know why, maybe this slight overvoltage on the 5V line doesn't go well with the TF330.

Thank god it didn't blow up my CD32 and TF330 card.
    Last edited by gtsamour; 14th October 2020 at 18:50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast