Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Feedback
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gtsamour View Post
    Problem found,

it was the "new" psu I bought from torsti76 a while back, using the original psu everything works flawlessly, 75 straight power ons all perfect.

torsti76 psu: 6 tries, 3 times failed to boot.

I know many people bought this and I saw no complains here. Maybe mine was a bad nut. Measured voltages (without load) are 5,32V and 12,15V.
    I don't know why, maybe this slight overvoltage on the 5V line doesn't go well with the TF330.

Thank god it didn't blow up my CD32 and TF330 card.
    Sorry to hear that.

But first of all, I explicitly warned about the slight overvoltage in my sales thread. The voltage will drop by at least 0.15 V under load, so I doubt that's the cause.

I use one of my own PSUs on my CD32 with TF330 and don't have any issues.

I suspect the plug itself. With this aftermarket DIN plugs, I often had the problem that they have to be pushed really hard into the socket to make good contact.

Can you try that first, please?

Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
    Problem found,

it was the "new" psu I bought from torsti76 a while back, using the original psu everything works flawlessly, 75 straight power ons all perfect.

torsti76 psu: 6 tries, 3 times failed to boot.

I know many people bought this and I saw no complains here. Maybe mine was a bad nut. Measured voltages (without load) are 5,32V and 12,15V.
    I don't know why, maybe this slight overvoltage on the 5V line doesn't go well with the TF330.

Thank god it didn't blow up my CD32 and TF330 card.
    Sorry to hear that.

But first of all, I explicitly warned about the slight overvoltage in my sales thread. The voltage will drop by at least 0.15 V under load, so I doubt that's the cause.

I use one of my own PSUs on my CD32 with TF330 and don't have any issues.

I suspect the plug itself. With this aftermarket DIN plugs, I often had the problem that they have to be pushed really hard into the socket to make good contact.

Can you try that first, please?

I dought this is the issue, I inserted the plug more than once or twice and trust me I'm not a newbie in retro consoles, I would know if the plug wasn't all the way in.

Sorry but I'm not taking any more chances with a 500 euro console. I'm not saying all your psus are bad, maybe just mine.

Also there was a beep coming out of the speakers when the cd32 managed to boot. No sound with the original psu.
    Also the CF card got corrupted and one partition got unrecognisable. Sorry, no more tests.
    Last edited by gtsamour; 14th October 2020 at 19:51.

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Feedback
    85 (100%)

I see. I can't rule out the possibility that your PSU is bad.
    The only thing I can tell you is that I tested each and every PSU with my own precious mint condition TF330 equipped CD32 before shipping it out. In particular, each PSU was used to boot the "Wing Commander" CD as well as the CF card on the TF330.
    I've never had a beep from the speakers upon switching on or that nondeterministic boot behavior, but who knows. Maybe the postal service was rough on your package, maybe one of my solderjoints is bad.

Anyway, since your CD32 works with the original PSU, the fault must lie with what I sold to you, so I'd like to offer you a refund. Please send me your PayPal details and I'll refund the cost for the unit. I can't refund the shipping costs, however.
    I hope you understand that I'm not a business but just a guy who discovered that these PSUs - at least in general as it seems - work very well with the CD32. I wanted to help others enjoy that, too, even if they aren't inclined to soldering. Before this thread none of the many people I sold these PSUs to had any complaint, so I hope this will stay the only "Monday model" of them all.

Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

I understand, I never implied that it was your fault.

Forgive me for not agreeing to submit my console to more testing, I nearly had a heart attack with this "adventure", I thought my console has gone bad, and as you know they aren't cheap anymore.

I'll send you my paypal email right away.

Quote Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
    I see. I can't rule out the possibility that your PSU is bad.
    The only thing I can tell you is that I tested each and every PSU with my own precious mint condition TF330 equipped CD32 before shipping it out. In particular, each PSU was used to boot the "Wing Commander" CD as well as the CF card on the TF330.
    I've never had a beep from the speakers upon switching on or that nondeterministic boot behavior, but who knows. Maybe the postal service was rough on your package, maybe one of my solderjoints is bad.

Anyway, since your CD32 works with the original PSU, the fault must lie with what I sold to you, so I'd like to offer you a refund. Please send me your PayPal details and I'll refund the cost for the unit. I can't refund the shipping costs, however.
    I hope you understand that I'm not a business but just a guy who discovered that these PSUs - at least in general as it seems - work very well with the CD32. I wanted to help others enjoy that, too, even if they aren't inclined to soldering. Before this thread none of the many people I sold these PSUs to had any complaint, so I hope this will stay the only "Monday model" of them all.

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Queensland
    Feedback
    14 (100%)

Happy to hear that you did track down the problem.
    Last edited by Dano; 14th October 2020 at 22:50. Reason: grammar
    Amigas ( 2 x A1200, CD32, 3 x A2000, 2 x A600, 2 x A500+, 4 x A500) Lots of c64s and associated peripherals

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    QLD
    Feedback
    11 (100%)

Hmmmm, but I don't have any symptoms resembling the ones that are mentioned in your link. After booting the cd32 works flawlessly for hours.
    Well I mention this as the symptom is a grey screen (ignoring the "boots for a few minutes" on that particular link). They have a few articles on there that mention dead/grey screen machines and that was the fix.

Worked to resurrect mine too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12