Is my Amiga 2500 damaged?

PotatoBox

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Hi,

Last night I was raytracing a 3D image as well as rendering a fractal at the same time on my Amiga 2500/030 with a few expansion cards in it (A2091 controller, 8MB ram, video toaster etc) for about 30min to an hour. I left it to run and when I came back into the room I noticed the fan of the psu had failed stopped running and the computer was noticeably quite warm on the top of the case and I could smell a faint burning plastic-like smell from the exhaust of the psu fan. I had turned and off and opened up the case and I could feel the heat aerating from the inside of the case.

I booted up the computer and it boots to workbench 1.3 fine, but is it possible I damaged the computer in any significant way?

Setup:
Workbench 1.3
A2630
A2091 SCSI controller
Video Toaster card
A2058 8MB ram
Another expansion card which I'm not entirely sure its purpose (has bnc connectors and a phone jack on it)

Last edited:
You've probably damaged or at least significantly shortened the life of the capacitors in the PSU. The computer itself (mainboard etc) will not have been damaged from the incident.

Bryce.

You've probably damaged or at least significantly shortened the life of the capacitors in the PSU. The computer itself (mainboard etc) will not have been damaged from the incident.

Bryce.

Time to recap the psu I suppose :)

My main concern is I hope that the burning smell wasn't from any of the custom chips or hard to find components.

Unlikely, the PSU fan is only there to cool the PSU, the mainboard was designed to work without the PSU (and its fan) being physically present. The smell is most likely from components within the PSU getting too hot, most likely the fan itself. If you spot any components such as diodes that seem to have gotten too hot (PCB darkened around them) then you could swap those too, just to be sure.

Bryce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom