3d Printing and the Amiga

cugar124

Country
England
Region
Norfolk
Hi Guys
Ok little bit of a story on 3d Printing..

I wanted a bit for the A4000 so I could use a Small factor PSU so I went on to here: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=amiga+4000&type=things&sort=relevant and went wow how do I buy one of these after a few days trying gave up then a mate in work said have you seen the new 3d printers:bounceBoingBall::bounceBoingBall::bounceBoingBall:? of course then i spent weeks looking ones up watching hours of Youtube to find what the Hell there are SOOOOOO MANY!!!

So after a bit of chatting to guys who had them it turns out they all say the Creality Ender series are good, and now the search begins https://www.tomtop.com/search/creality-ender-5.html this is where I got my Ender 5 at a flash sale half price YES.

Now after buying it turns out to get it running right I need a few upgrades so I Order everything I could best upgrade was this: https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/creality-silent-mainboard-v4-2-7

I use this Guy on Youtube and Other to learn from but I like his videos its DRVAX : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWEX2NVlLeIQr3v-cIF9LxA
He showed me how to use the cura software and tinkerCad as well.

I had some issues with the New board but being a typical retro computer guy it was well let's play. found out the firmware by Marlin had turned the E Axis for the extruder around the wrong way so simple way but risky way was turn around the plug on the Mother Board:eek: It worked :p thanks Youtube guy....

and Now I have my A4000 part Printed its well what else can I print:

So in summary: Don't get pulled into paying a small fortune for 3d parts you can print them yourself. For the Amiga side the Ender 3 is enough I needed the bigger bed.

Also for the smart ones yes I did split the power button support rail but in the future, I will mod the thingyverus drawings to thicken them this was made by this user so all credit for it to him delsydsoftware I just used his pattern thank you Delsydsoftware...

20201109_121956.jpg20201109_122001.jpg

Attachments

• 20201109_122003.jpg
    20201109_122003.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201109_121952.jpg
    20201109_121952.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201109_122010.jpg
    20201109_122010.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Great result Cugar,
a tip on 3D printers - Don't believe all the "you neeeeed to install this upgrade" crap on the internet. The Creality printers work great without any changes with the exception of perhaps the filament feeder (wears away after a while - swap it for a metal one) and the glass plate can be useful, especially if you print with any materials containing wood. Most of the other mods don't bring any significant improvement and come with the risk of making the printer less accurate because you've taken it apart so many times.

Bryce.

Hi buddy Thanks for the advice I have done as much as I am going to apart from some bed supports and cable supports too the motherboard was a real win its so quite apart from the printhead fan its bloody annoying loud.

Although i'm all-in with 3D printers, i simply can't justify the purchase financially speaking. If you take the time to visit my cockpit-building thread, you'll see that i have purchased quite a few printed parts lately, and actually they come from the UK. That's because i found a fella who charges way less then they do here (at least the various places i asked), shipping included. And i dare not order a printer from China, as taxes would be overkill. However, i intend to build a printer myself someday in the far future when other big projects finish... :double

Looks great! I had a mate print some things out for me which have been working good so far.

I'd love to get a 3d printer one day but just don't have the room for it currently.

Good point on the upgrades there Bryce. I never would have considered the accuracy taking a dive when reassembling all the time.

Looking good there, Cugar!

I’m trying to decide between the Prusa Mini, Creality Ender V2 and Flsun Q5. The Prusa would probably be the best option out of the box but it’s around 400€. The Flsun appeals with its price and auto bed levelling. It seems to be picky about the slicer used. The Ender has a great community, but it’ll probably need the most fiddling. No frills, no thrills is probably what I’m after.

I've and Ender 3 Pro. The price vs. function (and amount of fiddling) was the best as far as I could see and that's the way it has turned out too. Very little fiddling, great prints and I had money left over to buy lots of filaments. In you case (Salaxi54) it would make sense due to the amount of parts you willl probably end up printing for your cockpit. You can get the Ender 3 Pro in Europe for around €150 these days.

Bryce.

nice the Ender 3 pro looks good I still have some fails but most of that will be me learning but I love that I can print my own stuff just got my BL Touch and thats the last upgrade for me

One further tip: If your model doesn't have a big enough base and the print is failing because it detaches from the plate or the models are warping, don't buy the over-priced "anti-warping / sticking spray" that the 3D printer shops sell. It's standard hairspray with a fancy price tag. Buy (or borrow) normal hairspray and lightly spray the plate surface before the print starts.

Also don't underestimate how important it is that the plate is levelled and the nozzle has the correct distance from the plate. It will drift over time and should be checked before every print.

Bryce.

Also don't underestimate how important it is that the plate is levelled and the nozzle has the correct distance from the plate. It will drift over time and should be checked before every print.
Hence, I would be inclined to go with a printer that has a non-adjustable print bed and auto levelling.

Hence, I would be inclined to go with a printer that has a non-adjustable print bed and auto levelling.

I would too, but I've never seen a printer that did it well enough. The ones I've seen in action left noticeable steps in the Z axis on the finished model.

Bryce.

^That’s why I’ve been looking into the Flsun Q5 lately. It’s a delta printer and apparently, you need to do the levelling and nozzle adjustment only once.

Thanks Guys been a few weeks of setting up and printing with the BL touch and new 4.2.7 mainboard the printer runs lovely now still needs some fine tuning but loving it

Back
Top Bottom