Amiga 2000 questions

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
I have been out of the scene since the late 1980s so I apologize for my ignorance now.

I purchased my A2000 from someone off Kijiji last year, because of events on the home front I didn't do much with it. It came with a GVP HC2-2000 card and HD with WB 1.3 installed and 2MB of fastRAM since I couldn't find the sysinfo on WB 1.3 I just left it until I had more time.

My Canadian A2000 has according to Sysinfo the ECS Angus 2MB chip and the ECS Denise (Super Denise?). I have the TF536 card installed with 64MB of RAM. So when WB 3.1.4 loads up (I have the 3.1.4 ROM) it only shows 1MB of chip, is this normal or do I need to do something to enable the full 2MB?

The Amiga monitor, not sure if you can tell from this picture which one I have (https://imgur.com/a/QbYdMPO ... this is my sysinfo btw) has the DB9 and RCA connectors on the back, with just the audio plugged into it I only get left sound, about to test using speakers today to see if its the Amiga or the monitor, but does this monitor only have 1 speaker? The connection to the left was pretty staticy when I moved the cable around it on the monitor it cleared up.

GVP floppy drive, did GVP make 800K floppy drives for the Amiga? My 2nd drive has a filler plate on the top of it, saying Great Valley Plains on it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi there, what i can tell you right away, is that your monitor is a 1080. I happen to have the same one. It's a monophonic monitor, and you need to use a "Y" RCA cable, combining both audio channels into a single output. So, you get both audio outputs from your Amiga, and send them as a single input to the monitor.

Hi there, what i can tell you right away, is that your monitor is a 1080. I happen to have the same one. It's a monophonic monitor, and you need to use a "Y" RCA cable, combining both audio channels into a single output. So, you get both audio outputs from your Amiga, and send them as a single input to the monitor.

You would think if Commodore was going to make a single speaker monitor they would connect both the left and right channel together inside the monitor, which technically would be cheaper to develop instead of having the customer use a Y cable. :)

Well, that was their first "Amiga" monitor, they since produced a few stereo models. I purchased the 1080 in 86 with my first A1000, since there was nothing better at the time. It came with the Y cable included.

My Canadian A2000 has according to Sysinfo the ECS Angus 2MB chip and the ECS Denise (Super Denise?). I have the TF536 card installed with 64MB of RAM. So when WB 3.1.4 loads up (I have the 3.1.4 ROM) it only shows 1MB of chip, is this normal or do I need to do something to enable the full 2MB?

You need to have both the 2MB Agnus *and* 2MB of ChipRAM. It's been a long time since I did much with an A2000, but I think there are some DIP DRAM sockets on the board that you'll need to fully populate. I'm not even 100% sure you *can* put 2MB on the A2000 board, you might have to get one of the Agnus socket adapter boards.

Back
Top Bottom